• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

I’d like to apologise

This is abhorrent. This post is not something that ANYBODY should feel is necessary and it should have been deleted to preserve the guy's dignity. See my post about bullying in this place. https://towersstreet.com/talk/threads/bullying-on-towers-street.5497/

A thread where someone feels like they've annoyed the community, but the community responds positively should be deleted? A thread as far as an outside observer can see has not had the OP requesting a take down be deleted? This thread breaks no rules AFAIK either. Also Matt has the option to edit his own posts to remove anything if he so wishes. It'd be abhorrent to censor someone for no reason or request on an open forum.

Matt, your optimism is great and it's very refreshing to have around, as others have said. However, while we're on the subject, I want to take this moment to ask you very politely and with all good intentions, to stop "thanking people for the clarification"! We have a "like" feature, which I know you know how to use, so please just use that instead.

:)
Just put it in your signature
The observant among you may notice a little addition to the old signature...

And yet the thread is still up? What's being gained by discussing it further?

Not really sure what your point is

Given that Matt is still apologising and being told that he has nothing to apologise, there does seem to be some merit in telling him he has nothing to worry about.

If Matt stopped posting in this thread then discussion should stop, or if he asked for it to be locked then it should be. But while he is activily engaging in the discussion I don't see the issue as long as everyone remains polite and supportive.

The observant among you may notice a little addition to the old signature...
Ooh!
Congratulations on 5k!
d5818fefe11fa948876e964e8cc9f219.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Ooh!
Congratulations on 5k!
d5818fefe11fa948876e964e8cc9f219.jpg

Thanks @imanautie! I never knew I’d hit that milestone!
(Also, my iPad’s autocorrect very nearly put “for the clarification” after “thanks”; proof that I said that a lot!)

And as luck would have it, my 5000th post was a happy post about a potentially life-saving drug being found for coronavirus! I’m glad to have reported such good news as my 5000th post!

A public post apologising for who you are? Are you guys serious? Are you honestly ok with the fact that this kid felt the need to even post this?

A public post apologising for who you are? Are you guys serious? Are you honestly ok with the fact that this kid felt the need to even post this?
I'm not sure that people are ok with him feeling the need to post, more they feel they need to try supporting him.

I'm not going to rock up and rip on the creation of this thread if somebody wishes to create a thread like this. It could be someone I despise and I'd either be supportive or remain quiet. I can't see the harm in helping reassure someone who feels like they're insecure on their posting habits on here.

We're going to respond to the Guest Services topic later on addressing all of the points you made @Bear.

For the moment just on this topic though. From a moderation perspective we have three options:
  • Remove the topic
  • Lock the topic
  • Leave the topic open
If we remove the topic, we will no doubt instantly get complaints about censorship. By removing the topic, are we not failing to address things publicly by removing it and burying an issue?

If we lock the topic, we're preventing the replies to MattN which can further the discussion.

Instead we're at the point where we've left the topic open. What we've seen is a number of overwhelmingly positive replies supporting Matt and most importantly stating that he didn't need to apologise.

As others have said, I don't think anyone is ok with Matt feeling the need to post to apologise, and this has been demonstrated in the replies. It's great to see so many people being supportive toward him.

As this is a very personal topic, I've reached out to Matt privately and asked directly whether he would like this to remain open and visible to posting. At the moment he's happy for it to continue to be available, but should he change his mind, I have said he's more than welcome to let me know.

@Matt N As has been said by many other people if this thread has been brought on by people on the forum upsetting you then it is certainly an issue that needs addressing. If on the other hand; this is just something your worried about and it helps to see peoples responses in this thread then great, long may it continue.

You have no need to apologise, keep posting and keep being positive until you become old and jaded like us miserable old farts. Make the most of it and enjoy what makes you happy :)

EDIT: I know I've taken the piss a few times (I take the piss out of most things) but I genuinely hope I haven't done anything to offend anyone on this forum. Oh except Robb Alvey, he's a prick.

End of the day it’s a open forum where anyone can be open with their opinions so you have nothing to apologise for. The whole point of an opinion is that not everyone has to agree with it, so that’s where forums like this are good we can have open discussion and everyone can have their say. The world would be such a boring place if we all just agreed on the same things for the sake of it so healthy discussion is good.

I felt that post about worrying about people mocking you for your special interest but, mate, you're in the right place. I hope you get to meets when you can because you'll be totally fine. I lost my battle with those insecurities for years and only went on one meet more than ten years after first posting on a coaster forum (Atari RCT3). I didn't do what I really wanted for years and no one thanks you for it or notices. When I did go though I noticed there's different kinds of people in the group. Some were chilling in the pub, some were going on rides back to back, some were talking about technical aspects of coasters etc and others weren't. Point is, if this is your special interest that you really like then you're all good because, whether it's here or coasterforce or whatever site, you've found your people. Even if you did do something wrong, relationships can usually be repaired with work if needed so for the love of God get the idea of leaving the coaster community out of your head once and for all.

Matt, where to start.

You have absolutely no need to apologise for anything you say on the forum, you’re one of our most frequent posters and the forum is a much more vibrant place for it! You bring positivity to the debate in places we’re it is so often lacking, which as others have said is incredibly refreshing! So thank you, it brings a balance... Along with a continued platform for debate. The world is full of differing opinions.

I must say I do find it lovely that you’ve been able to be so open about yourself in this topic, which is also wonderful to see. I personally see it, that it says you are comfortable here and I’m very glad to hear that you feel welcome!

Finally on a personal note, I would like to thank you in terms of contribution each and every week in the closed season layout geek league. (Which obviously, as we know I totally lost track of at the end, thought that’s a totally different matter) By your own admission, some slightly suspect drawing. But you were there every week, layouts ready, sometimes in a matter of moments. Without that, it wouldn’t have gone on even half as long So many thanks!