• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

If the Enterprise were to suddenly lose power

Theorecticly speaking everyone would die. But I suppose that if that were to happen, it would have a safety mechanism so it would be at a safer angle.

Notice there is no one on that cycle? There's a reason for it Diogo. *Hands Diogo safety padding and Helmet*

Shockingly I think there are at least 2 people on board! You can see them near the start of the video before it speeds up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

That looks pretty violent! Although, seeing that video I didn't realise that the cars can swing a full 360 degrees about their pivot point, so if it did stop completely upright, the people at the top wouldn't be stuck in a sideways car (I had thought they could only swing within a certain range).

That's pretty much what I thought would happen but without as much swing. I'll join Diogo on this one, looks fine to me and quite fun to boot.

So my idea for an improved cycle on an Enterprise now goes thus:
1) starts off as normal.
2) as the arm starts to lower, cut power to the motor and let the cars swing.
3) when the arm reaches the bottom, start spinning again, this time at much higher speed to give some serious seat-pinning Gs.
4) slow to a stop, end of cycle.

How much is an Enterprise? :D

If all enterprises did that often, I'd go on them a lot more ;D

:eek:

How... interesting.

Doubt I would like to ride unless someone provides some padding. To me it looks painful :p

why do i get the feeling there are some member here that are going to try and bribe the enterprise ride op to do an e stop. :D

Well one of the team has been known to operate enterprise and they would never do it, Plus any ride op who would do it are mental and should loose their job at Towers.

Re: Re: If the Enterprise were to suddenly lose power

Natalie said:
Well one of the team has been known to operate enterprise and they would never do it, Plus any ride op who would do it are mental and should loose their job at Towers.

That's rubbish. Thorpe had to e-stop Zodiac a few years ago when one of the cages was opened mid ride (by chavs) and its common practice to have training on how to do so safely. I attended on it in 2010 and was trained how to deal with it all. Telling a ride op not to e-stop a ride is against h&s protocols. It's safer to stop the ride than to leave it spinning...

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

I mean if our lot pleaded with them to do it for fun, not in a real emergency.

Re: Re: If the Enterprise were to suddenly lose power

Natalie said:
I mean if our lot pleaded with them to do it for fun, not in a real emergency.

My bad. :p

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk 2

Some situations the rides staff are told not to always E-Stop, primarily because on some older rides all an E-stop does is cut power so it's actually safer to bring the ride to a controlled stop. There is no legal requirement for a park to use an E-stop button. They just need a risk assessment to spell out what to do in what situation.

An example of this is the Mine Train, since the incident if the train decouples again I believe the op is meant to slowly power down the ride manually as it was pressing the e-stop that caused the crash last time. An E-stop is not always safe in every situation.

No idea on Enterprises E-stop protocol though.

Dave said:
Some situations the rides staff are told not to always E-Stop, primarily because on some older rides all an E-stop does is cut power so it's actually safer to bring the ride to a controlled stop. There is no legal requirement for a park to use an E-stop button. They just need a risk assessment to spell out what to do in what situation.

An example of this is the Mine Train, since the incident if the train decouples again I believe the op is meant to slowly power down the ride manually as it was pressing the e-stop that caused the crash last time. An E-stop is not always safe in every situation.

No idea on Enterprises E-stop protocol though.

I completely agree with you. When I was talking about H&S Protocols I was talking about the codes of safe working practices in place at Thorpe Park, not all rides in general. For example, Samurai I was told not to use the E-Stop except for in extreme circumstances, but on a ride like Zodiac it is common practice and part of the ride's pre-opening test procedure.

There seems to be a few differences between Enterprise and Zodiac, Huss must have changed the ride system at some point between Enterprise opening and Zodiac being built.