• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Wasn't sure where to post this:

Has everyone noticed all the signs? Well pretty impossible to miss them. They are everywhere... And the stupid fence that's been put around Sonic....

This has all been a direct response to the smiler incident.

But what I don't get is why? Nobody was hit my a coaster for not going anywhere restricted. It's like they just want to show that they are super-safe.

But seriously that fence.... We pissed ourselves

644accf6acb4ce3b2b2ecfebae8136aa.jpg

I think the 25th of September as a date, if it's not open by then, it won't open this season I'd imagine but I have seen that date mentioned with the smiler online

I think the 25th of September as a date, if it's not open by then, it won't open this season I'd imagine but I have seen that date mentioned with the smiler online
I don't see it opening by then as people are still talking about seeing rust on the track and if it was getting tested the rust would he coming off. Tbh as much as I would love it to open this season and I think it would make more sense to I don't see it opening until FHT at the very earliest

The track has looked rusty in places since the ride first opened. I've not seen it for a few weeks but it wasn't noticeably worse than usual when I was last there.

:)

They certainly did some relatively substantial work on The Smiler last closed season however I am unsure exactly what it entailed.

:)

But what I don't get is why? Nobody was hit my a coaster for not going anywhere restricted. It's like they just want to show that they are super-safe.
It's about lowering any possible risk, anything they can do to lower the risk is being done to prevent any further fall out. Attendance, guest confidence in the brand and the share price has taken such a battering.

People are idiots, you have to take that into account. The amusement park industry is quite a small tight knit one and parks often learn from each other, that's just the way it goes.

It's about lowering any possible risk, anything they can do to lower the risk is being done to prevent any further fall out. Attendance, guest confidence in the brand and the share price has taken such a battering.

People are idiots, you have to take that into account. The amusement park industry is quite a small tight knit one and parks often learn from each other, that's just the way it goes.

The fence on top of the fence just looks daft though and gives the impression they didn't wanna spend the money on a full fence. Even if they had put it just behind the existing one, or sat it so that it slotted into the existing one. Not on top of the points.

@Ash123uk ^ I guess they have gone for practicality, rather than aesthetics at this time? It's one of those things I struggle to get excited about, it's a fence, daft or not daft. I'll post some photos of my fences, if people want.

I appreciate its only a fence but if aesthetics at a theme park aren't important. Why bother branding anything at all then. Don't even name the rides. Don't paint them. Have everything bare steel, wood, plastic.

I appreciate its only a fence but if aesthetics at a theme park aren't important. Why bother branding anything at all then. Don't even name the rides. Don't paint them. Have everything bare steel, wood, plastic.
Insert Thorpe joke? ;)

I appreciate it's important to some people here, it just doesn't at all change how much fun I have at the park. Like none.

It obviously wouldn't be built like that if it was new, it's been added on in a rush to serve a purpose. It seems to be relatively well known that Sonic doesn't have a particularly long shelf life. It's all down to cost benefit analysis, of course.

Why is that Rick about Sonics shelf life? I've heard so many people say it won't last long. I think it was one of those rides that they didn't expect to be so popular and has ended up being really popular. It constantly has a huge queue.

Yes, but it only gets big queues because of its abysmal throughput and location (it's the first thing you see) and it is one of 3 thrill rides (13, sonic and rmt) for children under 1.4.

The problem with Sonic is, it is one of the first rides you come across when entering the park (first big ride too) and add the aspects of having a low'ish throughput and being the middle ground for thrills and family, Boom! There's a popular ride for you.

Storm Surge, Trukers & Dragons Fury (to a lesser extent) have a similar problem on this.

Back to Smiler, I'm not expecting the ride to reopen this year and expect a lot of work to be going on there during closed season. I strongly doubt it'll open for FHT due to its problems snd weather. And even if Air is shut its more likely Blivvy would take its place.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.