• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
2ufr7v6.jpg

Let's say the mirror :')

If they do indeed only walk the track like this after long periods of closure then I'd say all things are looking towards testing the ride + new procedures. Opening though? Anyone's guess probably.

I might be wrong but surly it only needs a week or two of testing unless they are making changes with the trims or something else and they have to see if it is working

I cant imagine it'll need the testing it had in the first place. Regardless of if an earlier comment apparently coming from HSE was right, the recent reporting of human error would suggest that there isn't anything wrong with it. You'd only think that the testing was of the procedures put in place, rather than the ride itself.

I cant imagine it'll need the testing it had in the first place. Regardless of if an earlier comment apparently coming from HSE was right, the recent reporting of human error would suggest that there isn't anything wrong with it. You'd only think that the testing was of the procedures put in place, rather than the ride itself.
Much there was nothing 'wrong' with the ride if they can prevent it stalling the accident also wouldn't of happened so i think they might try working with the trims or new wheels to try and stop it stalling

Much there was nothing 'wrong' with the ride if they can prevent it stalling the accident also wouldn't of happened so i think they might try working with the trims or new wheels to try and stop it stalling
I suppose, removing any possibility (ish) of stalling would solve many problems. A faster ride from less resistant wheels would never be a bad thing!!

Tested of course, however I wasn't aware that track walking was that common. Stayed in the big blue at Blackpool once (or whatever it's called) and watched them walking The Big One and Dipper, but I didn't think Alton did that?

Difference is though that the Blackpool ones all really have catwalks or other things to walk on, like those bits of metal along the main track of the Big One, apart from infusion I guess. However I don't believe there are such things for any of the Alton rides? They've had no issues so far, so perhaps not :)

Walking the track isn't a daily job, it's not exactly something you do for 5 minutes! It's usually a closed season job, where each individual bolt gets checked, and the track gets inspected.

I'm not sure if they do it on all rides although I've known this to be done on Nemesis before, and The Swarm at Thorpe.

Very interesting to see some activity around The Smiler. You know you live an incredibly sad life when you get excited seeing two men wearing harnesses looking at a piece of roller coaster track. :p

Very interesting to see some activity around The Smiler. You know you live an incredibly sad life when you get excited seeing two men wearing harnesses looking at a piece of roller coaster track. :p
As incredibly sad as this is, that's the funniest thing I've read all day!

Very interesting to see some activity around The Smiler. You know you live an incredibly sad life when you get excited seeing two men wearing harnesses looking at a piece of roller coaster track.
We're all doomed right? Lol, exciting news, 3 months tomorrow, that's gone by so fast! Fingers crossed for reopening before scarefest

How would you walk the track on oblivion? Although I think someone is inspecting the joints because in both pictures they are around intersections of track. It probably has to be done in certain time scales as they are weaker parts.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.