• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Prohibition notice aside, clearly the ride is some way off from opening. I don't believe they will want it opening in the lumbering fashion seen in the videos.

For them to fit a new gate tells me that they're expecting a lengthy testing period then. So maybe it's not going to be opening soon, otherwise they'd put a temporary one there for the mean time.
What would be the point in wasting money on a temporary one if they are going to need this in the future anyway, might as well just put the permanent one there now to save money and more work in the future.

Meh, wouldn't read too much into it. They're doubling the height of fences everywhere else so why not The Smiler while they're at it.

Yeh, if anything this points more towards the ride opening very soon. Like you say they're doubling fence heights elsewhere to stop people getting into ride areas, probably in the wake of the Raptor incident at Cedar Point. It hasn't been needed up until now because the ride hasn't been running. But now it will be.

They close the gate when the ride breaks down (about every 20 minutes really) and if it's only on the SRQ enterence, it doesn't exactly mean that the ride won't open until next season. They have only added a fence.

Also could this hint at shorter opening hours if it's open at scarefest (that's right, I still think there's a chance of it opening at scarefest, dont shoot me). Maybe they won't keep it open for 11 hours, so will need a gate for when they close the ride. Maybe it will open 12-7 or something.

Also, if that gate has always been there, why does it make a difference. It's not like we are saying air will shut because it's fence height has changed :)

When it first opened both sides had the half height gates but the main entrance lost its when the queue line extension was put in, the gate got moved to near the queue line shop.

@AliceHL91 not really, if you look at your photo the top of the gate is a similar height to the silver handrail? But if you then look at the new photo, the top of the gate is a lot higher than the silver handrail. Also there's now a square hole so people can put their hands through to unlock it, where as your photo doesn't have one because people could easily put their hand over the top to unlock it.

Having not read any of this thread for a few weeks and having been away without internet on top of that I must admit that I got a little excited seeing the first testing video. Regarding the gate,

it's a gate.

That is all.

The length of the testing time has to have how long it wasn't operating into account! Add another month or so on top and it may as well have been the winter closed time! They will have to test the ride just like they would before opening after the winter. If they had no plans to open this year they would just be wasting time really! Also lift speed would increase the overall ride speed by the extra lift speed, taking away any increased effect from air resistance. Go and maths. I believe it will open this year, 90% sure with that!

Not seen this posted at all, but does anyone actually know of the numbers of the two trains that were involved? Talking about if they have replacements or not we'd only need to know the number of the front one and bob's your uncle, look for it testing.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.