• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Looks like this new control box means that many of us were right about the idea of having another point out on the track to diagnose/reset the coaster from. Nice to see extra physical safety systems being put it place. Very reassuring for me to know about this when I do get to ride it again.
12027637_928140040589774_329471834906061525_n.jpg

They would have to make sure a member of the public couldn't access it and reset the ride, could you imagine!

Im having my doubts about it opening soon now, originally thinking before end of September,
but,
If the HSE prohibition notice is still on it then even after testing and the notice was lifted at the end of this week I dont think Towers would just open the ride straight away.
There would need to be some sort of planning.
The HSE may not even be convinced that enough steps have been taken so leave the notice in place.
AT which point what Towers have been saying "No decision has yet been made on The Smilers future" makes sense
:(
How can they make a decision when they cant open the ride to the general public

Reactions: Tom
AT which point what Towers have been saying "No decision has yet been made on The Smilers future" makes sense
:(
How can they make a decision when they cant open the ride to the general public

If they were to dish out a decision then the media would be all over it. Giving nothing or very ambiguous statements (such as 'the foreseeable future') can allow them to keep attention on the down low, which will be preferable I'm sure. They most likely have made all of the decisions, but why tell the social media team that, just incase they make a slip up?

So the ride testing being carried out at present is to check the upgrades that have been installed,
It cant be to satisfy the HSE as it wasnt the ride that was at fault.
Ride operations were faulty which would require retraining and more ride operation procedures to be in place.
Basically a new operating manual, how long does that take to implement, surely that would have been done by now and the HSE signed off on it.
Why keep the notice in place.

correct me if i am wrong, but we dont actually know the cause of the accident do we? it could be the ride at fault? we are all just speculating what we think happened?

im not disagreeing with this at all, yes it seems likely to be the answer, but until we get any confirmation we could be completley wrong!

The impression I get is not that they are testing procedure, more that the testing is the same as what they'd do at the end of the winter period with a slight mixture of new procedure. I think we all know that the ride isn't to blame, it stopped for 10 minutes or so at the top of the lift, as designed! The computer would never send a train into an occupied block. Nevertheless, HSE may have only have wanted procedural change, which was probably part of the cause. The speculation continues.

The impression I get is not that they are testing procedure, more that the testing is the same as what they'd do at the end of the winter period with a slight mixture of new procedure. I think we all know that the ride isn't to blame, it stopped for 10 minutes or so at the top of the lift, as designed! The computer would never send a train into an occupied block. Nevertheless, HSE may have only have wanted procedural change, which was probably part of the cause. The speculation continues.
Would it not!? I'm an it tech and technology can go wrong sometimes!

I have no doubt it's human error but not ruling out any technical errors until known.

Would it not!? I'm an it tech and technology can go wrong sometimes!

I have no doubt it's human error but not ruling out any technical errors until known.
The software that runs the smiler wouldn't just stop working unless the code was tampered with, surely? Any other technical fault I can think of would just lead to the computer either freezing or shutting off, which still wouldn't send a train over the top.
Edit: Just like how the restraints need power to open up, you'd hope that when the computer was off the chains didn't start running full speed ahead.

The software that runs the smiler wouldn't just stop working unless the code was tampered with, surely? Any other technical fault I can think of would just lead to the computer either freezing or shutting off, which still wouldn't send a train over the top.
Edit: Just like how the restraints need power to open up, you'd hope that when the computer was off the chains didn't start running full speed ahead.
... and if it was technical, wouldn't we likely see changes to other infinity coasters and a significant statement from gerst?

... and if it was technical, wouldn't we likely see changes to other infinity coasters and a significant statement from gerst?
Exactly
Edit: Just look at any changes that were made to other Merlin rides right after, they were all staff training right? Don't know about Saw though.

There are 3 computers running the ride (all 3 are doing the same tasks), if 2 of them say A and the 3rd says B the ride shuts itself down.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.