• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I don't think people realise how bad the mental repercussions of an accident (especially going through an experience like a rollercoaster crash) as you can't see it. (Read this in a sarcastic tone) it doesn't put their life in any danger and can't harm them. They will get over it.

What looks worse for the GP, someone who's lost a leg and some horrible images of them in pain, or something that is inside their head, not visible to actually scare the casual observer who believes the media ****

I'm sad to say that my sister is part of the daft GP crowd when I try to explain to her the situation, but no matter how hard I try to tell her of how things are going with the ride reopening and how the victims are coping, she still insists that it should be closed regardless what you do with Smiler.

The one good thing (or funny thing how you look at it) is that her husband, who isn't a coaster enthusiast minded person like us, sort of takes my side saying to her, "Oh shut up my dear and let him do the talking as you know nothing about rides!"

I understand her pain and have compassion for her. However, she probably has been informed of the complete cause of the accident and maybe isn't happy as to why it happened.
I'm confident that it wouldn't happen again, it really shouldn't have been allowed to in the first place.
But towers is lacking without it, last time I went I found myself walking around the gardens to try find something to amuse myself, which was actually quite fun.
The price of steel is low at the moment too so if they were to scrap it they wouldn't get a lot, all those poor people losing there jobs is bad.

Cant help but think this mini shite storm Miss Balch has created has delayed the opening that I feel was scheduled to happened yesterday....

I don't care how much you adore the park or the ride, some of the posts on here are beyond obsession and are absurd. The ride is not opening any time soon. People need to come to terms with that or posisbly seek psychological help for their distress.

I just hope that Nick Varney has taken the time to explain to the victims what has been changed to reduce the probability of the same event happening again.

I don't care how much you adore the park or the ride, some of the posts on here are beyond obsession and are absurd. The ride is not opening any time soon. People need to come to terms with that or posisbly seek psychological help for their distress.

Bit harsh! Nothing wrong with a bit of speculation given the ride has been testing a lot lately. And unless you have some evidence of it not opening for Scarefest or Fireworks then I don't see how you can make such a strong comment.

I have had to delete a few posts here that were either inappropriate or not adding to the discussion at all. Please ensure that when you post it adds something to the discussion of the thread.

Thank you.

:)

Reactions: Amy
I agree with you Tom that taking swipes at the injured because they want the ride to open isn't nice, like I said in earlier posts, we cant criticize those those have been injured as we havent lost limbs and had our lives changed. Those saying they are doing it for fame and fortune is just not on.

However, there have also been those who are speculating the ride opening soon due to the recent activity on the Smiler site who are not mentioning the injured parties, which is fair enough.

So only 1 car on track at a time today, can't see any numbers on the cars? If someone can tell me where to look I'll have another look later.

cf45554162d7350cf39fb5eb35a14990.jpg

9759c7385b46404e5b6c8cb2d4f5c656.jpg

No sign of it opening any time soon I would say :(

That new white pole that someone took a picture of yester day has a cable coming out of the top of it today and there is a small white cc tv camera under it also, not sure if that's new I'll get a pic later.

So only 1 car on track at a time today, can't see any numbers on the cars? If someone can tell me where to look I'll have another look later.

cf45554162d7350cf39fb5eb35a14990.jpg

9759c7385b46404e5b6c8cb2d4f5c656.jpg

No sign of it opening any time soon I would say :(

That new white pole that someone took a picture of yester day has a cable coming out of the top of it today and there is a small white cc tv camera under it also, not sure if that's new I'll get a pic later.
Just underneath the logo on the black bit on the front there is a small yellow number with something.1

The victims have every right to say what they want in my opinion. Yes I know this is a fan forum for the park but lets not forget....

Merlin have let these people down and it never should have happened. It's as simple as that.

Merlin have handled the aftermath well but it still doesn't change the original point

The victims have every right to say what they want
i completely agree with this. Anyone who disagrees is basing there opinion purely on there obsession for theme parks.

however, i think merlin delaying the opening for this reason is wrong. Of course the victims will want to stop any chance of this happening again to others, but the reality is that it *probably* wont. They may even find it disrespectful, i don't know what to say to that having never been in the situation. I would say though that nick should be very careful what he says and does leading to the opening (keeping in contact with all 16 of the victims) but if he handles it well, i can see the victims not finding it so bad.

Is there any evidence that it's openings not imminent? I see no reason to say it can't open tomorrow or at a random day in the next few weeks. Please tell me any reason why it can't.

The victims have every right to say what they want in my opinion.

Yes, and other people have the right to their opinion if they disagree with what the victims say. Just because someone has had a terrible ordeal in life, it doesn't mean that everyone else in the world has a duty to pussyfoot around them and agree with everything they say. If one of the victims say something that people don't agree with, then said people are entitled to respond to it with their own opinion, as long as they do it in an appropriate and respectful manner. This isn't a "I'm the most caring for the victims" competition.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.