• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
That's your choice, Ive thought about it, I don't know how I would react. I cant put myself in that position. Yes I would be angry but would I want the ride to close. Maybe not, would I want to talk to press, depends on who and how much.

It's hard to agree with someone with a view you don't support (I really want the smiler to open, but Vicky clearly doesn't) but I think it's perfectly within her rights to be upset/angry at it reopening. I don't know how I would feel in her situation, and I never want to find out, but I would imagine that I probably wouldn't want it to reopen (again, I have no idea), the media on the other hand, and people who say it should be scrapped, have really no reason other to other than to sell papers/draw attention to themselves and clearly have no idea about the risks behind everything (I'm sure everyone's heard about how lightly you are to die in a car crash, or be struck by lightning, or be hit with a nuclear bomb, so I won't go into it)

I understand people not really wanting to go on it for a while (especially if they were a witness of the crash), but ffs, stop trying to destroy a company that are handling an tragic accident (which, can I add, was non-fatal thanks to the excellent work of the paramedics) really well. Funny though that last time Disney had a FATAL accident (never happened at towers) people weren't exactly saying that it's an evil company who are only interested in profits (kind of ironic that is)

nail on the head... fame and money is the current curse of our society

Its been the curse the society ever since the invention of getting your point over to the public/ public having ways to see what other people have to say. If she is getting paid then I say good on her, wish people would pay me couple of hundred pound to be on the tele for a few mins.

What I will say is that the reaction you are giving is the same reaction anybody gets when they go on tele as a victim. Hillsborough families, people who children have died in various accidents look at how the McCann's are treated. All be called attention seeking all be told they want this for fame and fortune.

What I want to happen with it is the new trains be numbered 6 and 7 out of respect, if that doesn't happen then I won't mind.
Not many of the general public know (or care) what car they are riding. That might cause difficulties with maintenance and accounting for all the trains.

Funny though that last time Disney had a FATAL accident (never happened at towers) people weren't exactly saying that it's an evil company who are only interested in profits (kind of ironic that is)
Exactly, this post just sums it up, when do you see anything about the accident on BTM nowadays... That didn't drag on and on, and on. Disney are about making as much money as possible, and don't handle their incidents as well as what happened here. Here is an example (true example) of what the GP say.
Me- rollercoasters barely ever have accidents, what happened on the smiler, will most likely never happen again.
GP- but they try to cover it up and be selfish, no other theme parks have crashes like this, I'd ride anything, but not the smiler.
Me- people die on rides, at disney parks as well, the statistics of dying on a rollercoaster are low, very low compared to everyday things. No one has died on any Alton towers ride
GP- yes, but it was Alton towers fault, at Disney it was the riders fault. Alton towers isn't safe, but Disney is.
Me- pretty sure there was a accident on big thunder mountain not caused by riders, and people died.
... Here comes the idiotic part
GP- but disneys safer because they care a lot more and don't have as much accidents.

I have never come so close to my mind being blown with stupidness...

Exactly, this post just sums it up, when do you see anything about the accident on BTM nowadays... That didn't drag on and on, and on. Disney are about making as much money as possible, and don't handle their incidents as well as what happened here. Here is an example (true example) of what the GP say.
Me- rollercoasters barely ever have accidents, what happened on the smiler, will most likely never happen again.
GP- but they try to cover it up and be selfish, no other theme parks have crashes like this, I'd ride anything, but not the smiler.
Me- people die on rides, at disney parks as well, the statistics of dying on a rollercoaster are low, very low compared to everyday things. No one has died on any Alton towers ride
GP- yes, but it was Alton towers fault, at Disney it was the riders fault. Alton towers isn't safe, but Disney is.
Me- pretty sure there was a accident on big thunder mountain not caused by riders, and people died.
GP- but disneys safer because they care a lot more and don't have as much accidents.

I'd assume that this would be due to the press coverage of a crash at Disney compared to a crash at towers. A Disneyland Paris crash would struggle to make the news here but I doubt in France the media would cover it like our media did.

Conversation I had on the way back from DLP on a trip 2 weeks ago:

GP: the smiler should be scrapped after that accident.
Me: why? Almost all theme parks have accidents at one point. Disney have had lots of fatal ones
GP: who's died at Disney.
ME: *states list of deaths at DLP*
GP: that was not Disney's fault. And workers don't count
ME: why not? A death is a death right?
GP: what about those people who were injured on the smiler? An amputation is an amputation? I would say 9.999 out of 10 that it will never reopen
ME: it's been testing

This went on for a while...

How many of these accidents were Disney's fault (so it wasn't a medical issue that the victim already had)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than 4 months since she lost her leg and some people expect her to have moved on? Totally unrealistic. If she wants to deal with it in the public eye, and make some money in the process, that's totally up to her and well within her rights but I think it's completely unreasonable to start saying she's milking it and to move on.

I am wondering about their hidden injuries, and how the talk of reopening is affecting that. Night terrors and flash backs to the time on the ride, and the horrid moments after. Posttraumatic stress is something we have not really talked about. I would not want to be a viewer inside the head of any of the crash victims the night when smiler is opened again for the first time.

I'm glad this has been mentioned, and I'm surprised that no ones really touched on this.

I was talking about this with my mum the other day, how the media has concentrated on only the two ladies who lost their legs, and the one girls boyfriend, and how there were 13 other people on that ride. While those 13 people didn't lose a limb they will still be traumatized by the events of the crash, and affected just the same but in a different way.

Obviously the media couldn't care less about those who have all their limbs attached. But it's a shame conversations and news surrounding the crash victims has just been about two/three people, no ones really given any thought for those 13 other people.

They'll probably never be able to get over losing their leg but is all this media interviews with them not a bit much 4 months after the crash.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.