• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
If you had bothered to read anything else i agree they are allowed to be angry.

What they are not allowed to do, is go to the media for a quick pay cheque and openly lie.

She did and that is why she is ungrateful. Slag them to the heavens just don't lie for a quick pay cheque.

Calling them ungrateful is the worst. What do you want them to say. "thank you merlin for my leg being chopped off, I'm happy your staff had a moment of relapse so that I could have this opportunity. I'll keep quiet so you can open it up and forget all about."

Not at all, when people are aggrieved they shout out, some to man, some in the background. In the end, who are you and me to tell them how to act/say. No if she wants to shout good on her, if the others dont then good on them. No right and wrong in what they do.

Dont know if any of you have just seen but the rescue team and the victims were on the pride of britain awards.

It's clear to see they're obviously still shaken up about this.

Is there a chance that everyone can just stop with calling them ungrateful/arguing with people calling them ungrateful. It's been going on for at least four pages and nothing new is being said. We all have our opinions and no one is going to change them.

Rant over

No if she wants to shout good on her, if the others dont then good on them. No right and wrong in what they do.

Well, there is though isn't there. That's the point that some seem to be missing when getting on their high horse about the injuries. The right and wrong issue seems to be about whether the ride should be open or not open (as those are the comments by one victim). There is a clear right or wrong here, it's not down to an individual victim's opinion. Is it safe and has been proven so to the HSE? If yes, the ride should be opened, especially after a matter of months. If it is not safe and the HSE say so, then it should not be opened. There you have it, pretty simple.

Just to clear something up here...

DID SHE ACTUALLY LIE?

Can this just be the media twisting 'quotes' again?

Agreed was the interview from her and mother on film or just in print ?

If it was just in print then your arguing about something is probably as twisted all of the smiler reporting so far!

Well, there is though isn't there. That's the point that some seem to be missing when getting on their high horse about the injuries. The right and wrong issue seems to be about whether the ride should be open or not open (as those are the comments by one victim). There is a clear right or wrong here, it's not down to an individual victim's opinion. Is it safe and has been proven so to the HSE? If yes, the ride should be opened, especially after a matter of months. If it is not safe and the HSE say so, then it should not be opened. There you have it, pretty simple.

I wasn't talking about the ride I was talking about how the people on that ride that time react in the press or not. When did I mention the ride exactly? What the say or do is their choice. Not merlins or the hse.

Don't know if anyone watched Pride of Britain awards tonight, but those victims certainly didn't seem ungrateful to me. They are grateful to be alive, but given the emotion they showed, its obviously still very fresh in their minds. Personally, I couldnt imagine being there on the scene that day as a paramedic and seeing blood dripping down out of the rollercoaster car, and the life of a young girl rapidly passing away infront of your eyes.

I've always believed that opinions need reasons. Saying it is too early to reopen due to respect makes no sense to me. Saying it should reopen, that's fine. Saying it should never reopen, that's fine too. But saying it is too early to reopen... I just don't get it. Where is the cut of point? Is 120 days ok? No, what about 125, or 200 or 210. At want point does it go from being too early to not too early?

If you agree that the ride should reopen, surely the respectful thing to do is look after the injured, investigate what went wrong, correct any faults, improve staff training, make the necessary investments regardless of cost to ensure this can never happen again. Share this information with your other rides, your other parks, your competitor parks, the manafacturers. Make the entire industry safer, protecting visitors to EVERY theme park in the world. Surely THAT is the respectful thing to do. If you agree that it should ever reopen surely the right time is after all this has been done.

But to answer, it's too early with no rationale... sorry, I still don't get it.

What the say or do is their choice. Not merlins or the hse.

I agree, every person has the right to say what they want, just as every other person has the right to call b******t if they believe they are talking rubbish. I honestly can't see the point you're making though? Is it that you believe people should be able to say whatever they want and be beyond criticism whether they are right or wrong? That's the only thing I can possibly think your point is, and that would be ridiculous.

I think this thread is going waaaaaay off the topic of the Smiler though, and more a psychological assessment of the victims.

Maybe we should get to the subject of discussing the ride, the changes being made, the recent testing etc, and as for opening date - none of us know, it will reopen at some point, lets just look forward to that and talk about it when it reopens.

In my previous post, I have addressed the issue of respect, but I think there is another word that is constantly used out of context. That word is BRAVE (As constantly used in the press).

I have no wish to make light of what happened to the victims... it was a terrible ordeal and I wish it had never happened to them. This next bit will be contaversial.

What constitutes brave? Well they were certainly brave enough to go on a rollercoaster.. it also takes bravery to face up to their injuries, get out of bed, do their exercises, fight through the pain barrier and work towards their rehabilitation. I was really impressed with Joe Pughs determination do everything for himself and ultimately lead a normal life. Leah intends to continue her studies at University and become a teacher. This requires considerable determination . The same may apply to the others and I may not have heard about it.

But, those guys that risked their lives to rescue them... that's brave. Members of our armed forces facing attacks to rescue and protect civilians.... that's brave. Guys working as bomb disposal experts to save people trapped in buildings... that's brave. A firefighter who storms a burning building to rescue a child... that's brave.

Real bravery involves making a choice. A choice that involves making a decision to do something at considerable risk to oneself to help another. A moment when you could choose to walk away, but make that decision to perform a selfless act.

These people suffered a tragic accident that was forced upon them. They did not make a choice. Does that diminish what happened to them? No, but brave... I'm sure they will show that in their rehabilitation in the months and years ahead... But real bravery to me is the other cases mentioned
Why does a firefighter horifically injured trying to rescue a burning child receive sucha meagre payout in comparison?

It doesn't seem fair.

I think this thread is going waaaaaay off the topic of the Smiler though, and more a psychological assessment of the victims.

Maybe we should get to the subject of discussing the ride, the changes being made, the recent testing etc, and as for opening date - none of us know, it will reopen at some point, lets just look forward to that and talk about it when it reopens.

Indeed, we've veered a fair bit off here. Let's stick to the ride/park itself please :)

I agree, every person has the right to say what they want, just as every other person has the right to call b******t if they believe they are talking rubbish. I honestly can't see the point you're making though? Is it that you believe people should be able to say whatever they want and be beyond criticism whether they are right or wrong? That's the only thing I can possibly think your point is, and that would be ridiculous.

What bollocks to one person. Is not bollocks to another. If they want to say it should never open. Who are you to wave a hse report in their face and say "sorry old bean these people do?" What they say or do to the press is their own personnel choice. Some people think they are right, it shouldn't re-open. We all think we are right in saying it should. We can stand behind any report, any new features. They can still say no, in private or publically. I wouldn't say anything is beyond criticism, I'll say it again. They have the right say anything if it is wrong or right depending on how you see it.

You got that right I'm boring myself.

I would sooner have hemeroids.....topic is way way off topic bordering on disrespectful. Admin need to clear the last 4 pages.

Look at the facts, people are entitled to opinions, the victims and all involved know how they feel and will all react differently but at the end of the day it will reopen when hse sees fit. And only then. A much more interesting and relevant discussion would be based around the changes being made and how towers will effectively restore themselves back to the uk's no.1 attraction and gain back public trust.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.