• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Oh, I was convinced it would open this year :(

I'll definitely be scaling back my visits between now and the end of the season.

Going slightly off topic, I was at Thorpe Park today and Saw was closed around lunchtime because of excessive wind. It was little more than a strong breeze! Is this a sign of things to come for the Smiler?

I'd say yes. Hence why it's not just a case of getting the instrumentation up and opening the ride. They need to devise procedures and acceptance criteria for closing the ride temporarily now. A stalled train isn't worth the PR nightmare from here in.

By all accounts the effort they've put into revamping scarefest had paid off so even without the smiler it will be worth paying a visit :)

By all accounts the effort they've put into revamping scarefest had paid off so even without the smiler it will be worth paying a visit :)
If you can/want to go in the mazes then it's definitely worth it. Even if you don't, I'd still visit for the rides in the dark and the scare zones (but I am a MAP holder and I live close, so it doesn't really cost much to go).

Did anyone notice if there was any work/testing going on around the Smiler today or do you think this will stop over the busier scarefest period.

When some people do it it doesn't get picked up, haven't you noticed?

Pretty much the entire team is at Towers today, it's not some great conspiracy.

Anyway...
I agree that it looks like they were trying their best to get it open again this year but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Shame really :(

Pretty much the entire team is at Towers today, it's not some great conspiracy.

Anyway...
I agree that it looks like they were trying their best to get it open again this year but for whatever reason it didn't happen. Shame really :(
Something must have went wrong in the testing programme which was unnoticeable to anyone watching the ride test,

Obviously this is just conspiracy but maybe it is traveling slower than anticipated through the batwing and below the minimum speed they want it to go through at and are thinking of reprofiling hence the numbers on the supports.

What are the numbers on the supports? The number of the support? The speed in which the train travels over? The height of the support?

I don't think speeds would matter as they have installed the wind gauge which may trigger an e-stop once winds reach speed x but the numbers on the supports are interesting. Also wording on social media to one question I saw on TT made it sound like they have not yet decided on whether to keep the ride open.

What are the numbers on the supports? The number of the support? The speed in which the train travels over? The height of the support?
I believe that it is only the numbers 3 and 5 on the supports but I maybe wrong

They will open it. It's obvious they will. They clearly want to as soon as they can.
On the post it said that it was their desire to re-open the ride at no point have the said that the ride will or will not re-open.

Reactions: Tom
Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.