• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
We noticed anemometers (to measure wind speed) being installed on The Smiler's station building and at the top of lift 1 towards the end of last season, so I would imagine they may well close it in high winds going forward.

:)

Perhaps we could see the ride having dummies put in if they are to send a test car round rather than close the ride completely

They'll definitely be doing everything possible to prevent even the stall from happening again in the future. Being Merlin, that won't involve track re-work purely because of cost, but I imagine it will spend quite a few days closed in the years to come due to high winds. Even though we all know a stall is perfectly safe, the public reaction would surely be too negative to leave it at risk.

I wish we could see the report. I'd like to officially know the changes they've made to the ride and the details of H&S executives findings. I guess the theme is not going to be changed then either. I'd go on it again, but not sitting at the front.

I don't think so, as others have said it is likely safer than ever. Been on saw about 10 times most on the front since the accident and never even thought for a moment I wasn't safe. Can't wait for March!

The HSE will identify procedural errors as being to blame, as prosecute Alton Towers.

'Human error' is a flawed citation, and is only the PR-tuned output of Alton Towers' own investigation.

I don't think so, as others have said it is likely safer than ever. Been on saw about 10 times most on the front since the accident and never even thought for a moment I wasn't safe. Can't wait for March!
I'm going by the logic that I've sat on the front before, and still have two legs, but that's reassuring too.

To anyone who won't sit on the front - they are the best seats IMO, and if they will be the quietest now, why not ;)

Not ashamed to say that while at work hearing this news on the radio i shed a little tear just relief that once we get our MAP next year i will be able to ride again cant wait. Hope the staff members concerned are punished in a way fitting for what they have done at the end of the day two girls have life changing injuries due to there mistake and there is no denying that. Fells good that all the news outlets that have been negative to the park have now had there mouths shut to ;)

Not ashamed to say that while at work hearing this news on the radio i shed a little tear just relief that once we get our MAP next year i will be able to ride again cant wait. Hope the staff members concerned are punished in a way fitting for what they have done at the end of the day two girls have life changing injuries due to there mistake and there is no denying that. Fells good that all the news outlets that have been negative to the park have now had there mouths shut to ;)
Punish staff... Get the pitch forks ...
No.
Yea was human error but if better training and better ride operating procedures had been in place. A lot of the human error has to be with towers and their training of staff in the first place

On the bright side, The Mirror published their finest piece of reporting to date in relation to the news today. Ripsaw really took a cosmetic battering over last season, am I right?

fc8e206a53ad109e73d54d60cc477025.jpg

Also, they should really cite their sources...

On the bright side, The Mirror published their finest piece of reporting to date in relation to the news today. Ripsaw really took a cosmetic battering over last season, am I right?

Wonder what they've been reading ;)
And Really... "closing: the ripsaw"... 1) that isn't ripsaw 2) it's not THE ripsaw

Just spat out my hot chocolate....this made me giggle

Seems like some of our suggestions about manual reset buttons around the track has actually been implemented then. I like to think that they read these forums even if it's more likely it's just coincidental. Definitely the most effective new safety measure though in terms of cost and easy implementation.

I definitely have no problem riding again now knowing about this new safety system though.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.