Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spinba11, 2nd Jun 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stoney101

stoney101 TowersStreet Member

Found this on another forum, may be a bit long but its definitely an interesting read.

2. Slugjc

Slugjc TowersStreet Member

what I was getting at is the flap the media gets itself into to be the "first" to get the scoop. Back in my day news took there time, and waited for the evidence to come. Because of the internet they have to have something 5mins ago. To hell with the facts just get something out we'll correct it later. Why send a camera crew, photographer when 98% of people there have a camera. Ill get sent it in my comfy office chair, look at what been sent and do the best I can.

I suppose I was wrong implying that they over reacted. Im stuck in the days when it would get a brief mention at six maybe a bit more on the local news at 6:30. then at 9/10 we'll report more in depth using the footage from local sources. Papers would mention it, probably more in depth 2 days later.

I miss the good ole days.

DiogoJ42 likes this.
  3. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

Just wanted to add a point not directly about the ride accident as such, but today in the news, the NHS are saying that there is a severe shortage in blood donors with 40% less new sign ups last year compared to the year before. The girl on the front of the Smiler needed multiple blood transfusions, and, it could have been any one of us, or friends/family on that ride, and without donors, she could have died.

I gave for the very first time 3 weeks ago. Yeah, I was nervous as hell but in all honesty, there was nothing to it. Got lots of biscuits and sweets, felt fine, and felt great with myself for doing such a thing, and now, with the news of this story, even better that this is where the blood could go, to help save someone else. I'll be doing it every time I can from now on, and would say to others, if you dont already, then please consider doing so. It doesn't take long, its free, it wont harm you, and you genuinely could (as we have now seen), save a life.

Yalnix, Kelpie, Olii and 2 others like this.
  4. micksalt

micksalt TowersStreet Member

Disagree on this point, I had to give up donating because every time I did, I was struck down with severe flu-like symptoms, but I agree with your sentiment. However, I'm still on the organ donor register so if anyone finds my car upside down in a hedge and I'm on the cusp of death, please keep my heart beating long enough to salvage the usable bits. Ta!

Kelpie and GaryH like this.
  5. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I hate to criticise comments made by a person who was injured in the incident but reports like this are very annoying. I have no doubt that he was scared sh*tless, probably thought it was the end of his life and probably never wants to ride a coaster again. It's a horrible thing to have to go through.

But why, so soon after the incident, do you go to the media you give your account of it? Not just the media but a sensationalist tabloid. The Mirror will make sales and get hits to their website from this article. The person giving the interview has probably recieved a decent pay check to give the interview, and exaggerate it in a manner that makes more dramatic news.

As has been pointed out, it would be near impossible to see the valleyed train from lift one. I've never tried to look over there going up the lift but the train design does not lend to you leaning around looking behind you. And you certainly couldn't be pleading with staff up there.

"After we got on everyone saw the empty carriage at the bottom of one of the loops but as we got to the top it looked like we were not going to stop. It was going for no more than three minutes before the accident but everyone was shouting and swearing before we went down." - this just doesn't even make sense. We know that the train did stop towards the top of lift 1, enought witness accounts confirm this. What was going for no more than 3 minutes?

"I really think they should tear that ride down because I can see it happening again in the future. It's not safe." - now I do understand why he may think this, the thought of other people going through the same as you have is probably horrifying. But we all know that the chances of this ever happening again are almost none, it is safe.

I really do hope that the person is ok mentally and physically, but I don't think people do themselves any favours with actions like this. How does it help any of the parties involved? A better thing to do would be to get in contact with Towers and/or HSE and ask to give a version of what happened to aid the investigation. That could help ensure that something like this never happens again. Telling it to a tabloid who just want to make money will not help ensure the same.

All in all it is yet another poor article by the tabloid press. In fact the tabloid press have loved this, I'd imagine that when the news came through on Tuesday they were in their offices leaping around with joy, knowing all the dramatic over the top stories they could come up with to strike fear into the British public. It's disgusting.

In other news, one of the seriously injured people's father has released this on Twitter:

[​IMG]

Not great but at least he says that he's ok.

Also a senior accident investigator has said that the HSE inquiry could last up to two years but they would establish within weeks whether a criminal negligence prosecution should take place.

:)

6. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    Nonsense. The reporting of the incident has gone off speculation, fabricated claims and desperate attempts to stay ahead of other media outlets than sticking with and reporting the facts.

Gone are the days when the media would factually cross reference things rigorously and now they're just plonking in every common Bill, Bob and Ben for an exclusive and over exaggerated quote. This is why lots of us are giving Towers credit for handling the brutal attacks from the media which are misleading the general public. We still don't know for certain that one of the front row passengers has lost a leg, but because the media have suggested it, a lot of people now genuinely believe the ride will tear your limbs off.

With regards to the slot placement on the TV news, obviously it was never going to be headlining due to the much larger (and quite frankly, boring yawnfest) of the Fifa incident. But the print tabloids the next day all piled on leading with the incident. Once print has been published, it can't be changed whereas online news can.

It's worrying how much of the general public's opinion has been shaped by the negative media surrounding the accident, but at least Towers and even the powers above are handling this in a commendable manner.

DiogoJ42 and Slugjc like this.
  7. EmilyJEG

EmilyJEG TowersStreet Member

In the article the caption under the bruising says, "Nasty Injuries: These were the bruises suffered by the man after he rode The Smiler on Tuesday".

It must have been a truly horrific accident as it's left him with the body of a woman.

Also, I did a 'reverse image search' and that picture seems to appear elsewhere on the Internet before the accident happened. Maybe it's supposed to be an example of bruised ribs, but it does imply it's a picture of him. (https://www.pinterest.com/pin/484137028668926613/)

Personally, I'm not convinced that this 'anonymous' person was even on the ride.

Last edited: 5th Jun 2015
    BarryZola and EuroSatch like this.
  8. EuroSatch

EuroSatch TowersStreet Member

The video directly following the collision has a man shouting 'someone stop this f**king ride!' clearly from the crashed car, so I think it's fair to say it's him. But clearly exaggerations have been made as pointed out by others.

Still bothers me though the way it's being implied that the car is powered all through the ride after the drop and that operators had a chance to stop it after it had been released from the lift hill.

9. Rob

Rob TS Forum Team Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
  10. CGM

CGM TowersStreet Member

I conducted a great deal of research for my roller coaster based university project which involved many face to face interviews. The number of people who don't realise that roller coasters run under gravity and believe that they are somehow powered round the course is staggering.

11. GaryH

GaryH TowersStreet Member

I cant believe that story on the Mirror with the Smiler videogame which was released over 2 YEARS ago. Grrrr so angry right after seeing that. No wonder the public are so dumb these days with the crap they are fed through the media.

Edit : Just sent an email to [email protected] to say what I think

12. EmilyJEG

EmilyJEG TowersStreet Member

After the video was posted on here, someone said it looked like one of the people on the front row as their arm moved at the same time as that was shouted.

Anyone who has watched the video and read a thread like this could have made up that interview. Not convinced by it.

13. Alex23

Alex23 TowersStreet Member

Evidently there is going to be a press conference today, no source unfortunately just heard it on the grapevine ;)

EDIT

Statement has been released by Varney which is now on the TST FB page, but the main news is that The Smiler and Saw will be closed for the foreseeable future. Wonder if Merlin have lost faith in Gerst?

Last edited: 5th Jun 2015
  14. LordOfDarkness

LordOfDarkness TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Two major rides at Alton Towers and Thorpe Park will be closed "for the foreseeable future" following a serious crash on Tuesday.

The Smiler, which left four people with "significant lower limb injuries" after two carriages collided earlier this week, will remain shut once Alton Towers reopens to the public in the coming days.

It has also been confirmed that Saw, a similar rollercoaster at Thorpe Park, will be closed indefinitely.

Merlin Entertainments, which runs both theme parks, has said "an additional set of safety protocols and procedures will reinforce the safe operation of our multi-car rollercoasters".

http://news.sky.com/story/1496893/alton-towers-and-thorpe-park-close-major-rides?dcmp=snt-sf-twitter

EmilyJEG likes this.
  15. Nemesis94

Nemesis94 TowersStreet Member

16. Danny

Danny Leicester Melvin Rong

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    If Dragons Fury is closed, then surely Spinball should be too?

This is the last thing Chessington needs when their ride openings aren't up to standards as it is.

17. andyramone

andyramone TowersStreet Member

This. I have some intelligent friends, all of whom are 'GP' so to speak. And all but one assumed Nemesis was powered around the track, including a guy currently studying for a PHD. The only reason the 1 guy knew the concept of 'coasting' around the track was because he used to play RCT3.

18. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    It's not because they're German, it's because they all run multiple trains at anytime. It's just a coincidence that they're all German. Flying Fish and Scorpion Express are Macks but they're still open.

19. Croftybaby

Croftybaby TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Nemesis
    Towers will be closed again on Saturday.

Varney is going to be on ITV News shortly, not sure if it's Live or recorded interview.

I suspect Oblivion might be included in this list when the park re-opens but as it's in the general area of The Smiler then it was likely to be closed off anyway with X-Sector being closed as a whole for the time being.

20. Danza91

Danza91 TowersStreet Member

Have Gerstlauer said anything on this incident at all? I can't find anything.

EDIT: As we expected, Alton Towers have now officially confirmed they remain closed tomorrow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.