• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Not sure if its been posted before but The Sun are now reporting

'Dancer injured in the Alton Towers crash has had her leg saved by surgeons'

If that is even remotely true then that is fantastic news.

Regarding the interview, very insensitive. Asking if Nick had been to see the victims when I'm fairly confident only friends and family would be able to visit is shocking. She seems rather happy with herself on Twitter. Further attempts at misleading, damaging reputation and libel.

Interesting language used here by Varney. I wonder if he is hinting to a system malfunction, i.e. the sensors and software used to control the ride, or the way they implement the zones/blocks on the rides and how the system manages them.

As for talking of enhanced training procedures, I get the impression they know the cause of the accident now, and by this, are they instead hinting that the train was sent out by human error, but, the system allowed them to do so.

Surprised its closed again tomorrow though...

What sort of "questions" was she asking? Poor connection here so I can't watch the video!

What sort of "questions" was she asking? Poor connection here so I can't watch the video!

Pushing him to reveal on national tv if there had been an amputation even when the family hasn't announced it was perhaps her "finest" moment.

As someone who has been on it 1412 I've had chance to look around as I'm going up the lift and I'm sure that if I'm sat in the correct seat (mainly on the right hand side of the train) I'm sure that the crash site can be seen from the top of the lift.

I know this is a bit late but this is how there trims work,

1, As the train leave the top of the lift all the fins drop in the same way as they do on Rita.
2, Just before the train gets to the trim brakes the correct number of fins are raised to slow the train down (I think when all the fins drop a timer is started and stopped just before they are raised and that tells the system how many to raise).

Thanks for clearing that up.
Presumably the cars will be checked to see if improvements could be made to minimise the impact if this happened again but most of the investigation will probably centre on the ride systems at the site?
HSE won't check the cars to see if improvements can be made. They will simply use them to determine if anything failed on them that might have caused the accident, and also whether their design was sufficient to prevent the ride occupants being so badly hurt. My gut feeling is that there won't really be too much of an issue with the cars themselves, but the HSE need to complete their investigations first.

To be honest, I'm surprised the injuries weren't even worse, so you could argue the cars were pretty robust - they would never have been designed to withstand a full-on frontal impact, the ride control systems should have prevented that ever happening.

Didn't even make it to 5 minutes on that video before I had to stop watching it. You'd think she had a personal vendetta against him or something?!

Didn't even make it to 5 minutes on that video before I had to stop watching it. You'd think she had a personal vendetta against him or something?!

Same, She doesn't understand that you can always refine and improve a process. if you are complacent then that's when issues occur.

Interesting language used here by Varney. I wonder if he is hinting to a system malfunction, i.e. the sensors and software used to control the ride, or the way they implement the zones/blocks on the rides and how the system manages them.

As for talking of enhanced training procedures, I get the impression they know the cause of the accident now, and by this, are they instead hinting that the train was sent out by human error, but, the system allowed them to do so.

Surprised its closed again tomorrow though...
I'm not surprised its closed again tomorrow - if it was human error, there will almost certainly need to be an element of staff retraining required, and given the weekends will probably have more staff on duty than weekdays, they are unlikely to have been able to re-train staff by Saturday.

Nick handled that very well. I would hate to have been in his position during that Sky News interview. :(

Just thinking. All the people that must have been around the ride, one of them must have phoned 999?
I mentioned this earlier. You'd have thought?! I know I would, but I wonder if no one did because they thought the park staff would have already.
And also, because they were clearly too busy taking photos & videos on their phones to think of using them for their intended purpose. >.>

It is annoying me, the whole "it took 11 minutes to dial 999!" outrage, when the ride needs to be stopped, the first responders get there safely, assess the injuries and pass that info onto the emergency services. I'd be surprised if it actually could have been done any quicker.

Looks like The Smiler is closed indefinitely.

But honestly, they're probably going to add a few safety procedures, and then reopen it with a different

I'm surprised that he didn't reply to the "so The Smiler's being dismantled as we speak" part.

As someone who has been on it 1412 I've had chance to look around as I'm going up the lift and I'm sure that if I'm sat in the correct seat (mainly on the right hand side of the train) I'm sure that the crash site can be seen from the top of the lift.
Right hand side as you look at it from the front, or when you're actually sat in it?

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.