• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
What I was surprised at, was Mr Varney not mentioning the stringent daily safety checks that are performed by the maintenance teams each day which sees them arrive at daft o'clock. How, if anything doesn't pass these checklists, then the ride doesnt get opened until tech services are 100% happy. How, each close season everything is stripped back, track tested, trains stripped. How there are independent checks made each year like an MOT (ADIPS). I haven't heard him mention this at all in any of his interviews.
If Kay Burley had given him the chance, and not repeatedly interrupted him, I'm sure he would've mentioned something about this!

Re the interview...
If he had talked about the procedures in detail, he'd have confused the majority of people. If he'd missed any details out, others would be questioning it - "Well he didn't say ____, so they must not do that." I think he was wise not to go into great detail.

Perhaps KB just needs to use her brain. You can make something that's already safe even safer. It doesn't mean it was unsafe, but the fact that there was an accident means it wasn't safe enough because the target is obviously zero.

Ah, but sometimes, issues can crop up during the day, even when the daily pre-opening checks are all OK.

Statistically it's almost insignificant, but considering nobody should be injured going on rollercoasters it's still bad.
Logically, it is completely insignificant. If it was the statistics of people who fail a driving yes or something then it wouldn't matter at all. Obviously, 16 people is far too many, even one is. It is a terrible accident but even then, for a ride that has had so many problems, 16 in 4.32 million isn't bad compared to other parks safety records.

It may have confused people, but most would take it on board that there are these stringent checks. he had every opportunity to say it, but unfortunately he didn't.

As I said, just because we know these things are done, it doesn't mean people who have no interest in our hobby do.

Just seen the sky interrogation, sorry interview.

1) She was trying to put words in his mouth.
2) when nick did not rise to this her tone of voice got more aggressive.
3) the volume of her voice went up and up as the interview went on.
4) repeating the same question untill she got the answer she wanted.
5) the repeated death trap line
6) the most horrific fishing trip every, (out of desperation of hospital and family saying nothing about injuries) with the girl has lost a leg line.

I wonder if she flys on them death trap aircraft or get on one of them death trap trains.

As change.org is all the rage, why not start on to give her the boot from sky news.

She's ridiculous, but this is not out of the ordinary for her or sky. Sorry, but some soapboxes need climbing down from. Only way to deal with it is to move on

She thrives on controversy, and always has - it guarantees her viewers, as people tune in thinking 'what will she say next?'.

Although with lots of people on here complaining to her via Ofcom, I'd find it funny that out of everything she's ever done, it's criticising Nick Varney of all people that lands her in hot water!

Re the interview, she latched onto something what Mr Varney said and she was like a pitbull refusing to let go.

What I was surprised at, was Mr Varney not mentioning the stringent daily safety checks that are performed by the maintenance teams each day which sees them arrive at daft o'clock. How, if anything doesn't pass these checklists, then the ride doesnt get opened until tech services are 100% happy. How, each close season everything is stripped back, track tested, trains stripped. How there are independent checks made each year like an MOT (ADIPS). I haven't heard him mention this at all in any of his interviews.

If you look at it away from our hobby, he didn't really clarify what happens. All he said was that procedures were in place and they had added an extra layer, kind of indicating that there were failings.

We all know, or at least have a basic understanding, of what goes on before a ride is opened, and how safe our hobby is, but for others who are not aware, he didn't really give reassurances. So in a way, and I am not on the side of that terrible interviewer, you can see why, because of his answers she something wouldn't let it go.

He should have talked about the daily checks, what happens when a ride breaksdown etc

Just my thoughts....

I just don't think it'd have made a difference. KB went into that interview with the preconception that the ride wasn't safe, and nothing NV said was going to change her mind. Stupid woman.

Sky is a load of bull. I don't think we talk about all of Rupert Murdoch's other media outlets in such great detail, so why waste your energy talking about his utterly awful newspapers and TV.

Whoever says 16 people getting hurt out of 4.32 million is bad needs a good slap, apart from if a family member of someone who got hurt said it.
Yet the odds of winning the lottery, at 14 million to one, are even larger - but it doesn't stop people people buying a lottery ticket!

Reactions: Tom
The odds of being on a roller coaster during a crash are based on flawed statistics that look at the number of accidents compared to the number of people visiting etc.

People win the lottery every week

Reactions: Tom
How else would you measure the probability than using number of guests per 1 >moderate accident/incident?

Wow, calling that Sky interview unpleasant would be an understatement...

In fact I wouldn't even call it an interview, the same question must have been asked at least six times before she got a reply that satisfied her.

And if her almost vulgar attitude wasn't bad enough, the facts were non existent, saying The Smiler is being dismantled as if it was fact, but even something as distasteful as Sky must have standards on broadcasting outright lies to their audience... guess not.

How else would you measure the probability than using number of guests per 1 >moderate accident/incident?

Science? Probability of specific situations occurring to lead to specific events? I visited Seattle over Christmas and it rained all the time. It must therefore rain all year round based on my experience of it.

Statistics and probability just doesn't work like that

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.