• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
To be fair to Ofcom they would only investigate if TV regulations have been broken. Unfortunately being a cun- is not against TV regulations.

Given Burley has acted like this before it's not surprising nothing will be done.

Life goes on anyway, I'm sure we've got more things to worry about than a rude woman on a news channel. At the end of the day Varney appeared in a good light and that's all that matters, that Alton Towers' and Merlin's reputation was held during that interview.

Last edited:
To be fair to Ofcom they would only investigate if TV regulations have been broken. Unfortunately being a cun- is not against TV regulations.

Given Burley has acted like this before it's not surprising nothing will be done.

Life goes on anyway, I'm sure we've got more things to worry about than a rude woman on a news channel. At the end of the day Varney appeared in a good light and that's all that matters, that Alton Towers' and Merlin's reputation was held during that interview.
Don't worry, I'd say she gets worse every interview. It is only so long before she says something that does break the rules.

But wait, demanding confidential patient information isn't something Ofcom consider to be unacceptable?

I'm sure it's not something that qualifies an investigation by Ofcom. Although it's certainly not right for her to ask that.

Evidently not. If I was one of the victims of the crash or a family member I'd be personally appalled by her conduct.
If a family member spoke out against the interview I'm sure the conclusion for her would have been very different!

What, so they can see if a car has stalled.
The "could" have the cctv linked to analytic software to alert ops that something's not right. Ie send them an alarm on the cctv monitor.

You can prog up cameras for items going in wrong direction or objects in an area for to long. All common stuff in cctv.

Maybe it's just to be seen as an extra safety step and not that they've lost trust in any other system - belt/braces job. CCTV is a little more obvious so may be a little more reassurance. Seems a little daft they didn;t have this before on all rides though. Dragons Fury especially given the layout.

I thought they have hundreds of cameras anyway and the problem (if it was human error) was that they didn't look. But couldn't they add that software to detect stalls on the ones they have and I would have thought they already had it.

Maybe it's too complicated to get software that detects stalled cars on CCTV feeds. Maybe they should invest in some kind of system that constantly monitors the vehicles on the track and stops the ride if it's not happy that a block is clear. Oh, wait.

I wonder if they'll confirm whether it was human error or not. Either way I'd like to hear what the HSE found after the investigation's over.

Indeed we did think on Sunday that they had added a lot of CCTV to the blocks on Spinball. However it turns out that I was mistaken and all of the CCTV was there previously, I had just never taken any real notice of it before and when something like this happens you do become more conscious of such things. So now I have no idea what they have done to Spinball, although it will relate to the blocks I imagine.

:)

@Rob, has it been confirmed they have done anything at all to the ride? Was it not all procedure/training based changes?

@Rob, has it been confirmed they have done anything at all to the ride? Was it not all procedure/training based changes?

Procedures have changed on all Merlin coasters but these could not be implemented straight away on Spinball, Fury and Rattlesnake (all according to Nick Varney). Now it could well be that the extra training/procedures on these rides took longer to write and carry out. Or it could be that physical systems have been improved. Nothing really has been confirmed.

:)

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.