• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
I was there yesterday, but I could not see any difference in procedures, and it was running well with no stacking so whatever they have done it hasn't affected the throughput

I see that there's still Smiler promotional imagery on the MAP website.

http://www.merlinannualpass.co.uk/Attractions/AltonTowers.aspx

RorasLe.jpg

Someone mentioned a few pages back about will we ever see a video of the actual collision.
Do all the trains have the Picsolve on ride cameras? Would be interesting to find out if any footage was taken on those, including the stalled empty train.

Been today and noticed "Welcome to eternal darkness" has been cut from the oblivion dispatch video, it just crossfade transitions to the next line. Is this due to The Smiler incident?

Been today and noticed "Welcome to eternal darkness" has been cut from the oblivion dispatch video, it just crossfade transitions to the next line. Is this due to The Smiler incident?
I believe so - someone was saying on Sunday morning that the Oblivion queue line video has had a few bits edited out because of The Smiler's incident.

I would hope that the changes made to Blivvy's queue-line video are only temporary to try and detract attention from the incident two weeks ago - much like the removal of the signage from around the entrance to the queue.

Procedures have changed on all Merlin coasters but these could not be implemented straight away on Spinball, Fury and Rattlesnake (all according to Nick Varney). Now it could well be that the extra training/procedures on these rides took longer to write and carry out. Or it could be that physical systems have been improved. Nothing really has been confirmed.

:)
It suggests to me that some physical changes have also been made, but it takes time to get the parts and install them. I noticed that Rattlesnake was still closed yesterday on the Chessington website ('cos I just booked a hotel there last night too).

Incorrect facts being posted in articles, like the quote from yesterday's The Independent below, are frustrating but it's nothing new, the media know what they're doing. The theme park community won't be the first to have been frustrated by the media's portrayal of their hobby.

Following the crash, Alton Towers was forced to close for five days in order for an investigation into the crash to take place.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.