• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
but who pays that much close attention to these videos... only nerds...:p
So not like anyone on this forum pays attention then. Anything else been removed from the videos?

For some things, there is no rational explanation . There is no way out. There is no happy ending to the story. Welcome to the unknown, welcome to eternal darkness, welcome...to Oblivion.

Best queue line videos ever

Last edited:
It saddens me to hear that some of Oblivion's videos have been edited. I do hope it is a temporary measure, but even if it is meant to be temporary at present who's to say they will just forget and leave it come next season?

Oblivion is such a solid brand and theme. Please don't ruin it forever!

:)

If they edit out the stuff they have done on Blivvy's videos, then it takes a way a lot of the suspension the videos build up before getting on the ride.

I'd be gutted if this was a permanent change :(

Happy oblivion is open again, but wouldn't it just be easier to keep the screens off as they do half the time anyway? Can see the videos staying like this until next season because there will be lots of complaints from people like us.

I'm sure they'll mean for it to be temporary; with the media being rather trigger-happy with every little thing at Towers now, I'm honestly surprised they haven't edited the audio on Th13teen in case guests think the ride is actually broken during the free-fall section.

Should it be permanent, I'd put it down to laziness on not wanting to change it, rather than being a decision from up-high. Like getting rid of The Smiler's branding throughout the resort, it's just a way of them minimising controversy.

Complaints from people like us will make no difference though! They clearly see it as a potential PR disaster. Now it clearly won't remain that forever and has been fine for almost 20 years so let's hope it is a temporary thing.

Maybe its a good thing they removed nemmys blood rivers when they did. No doubt the press would have picked up on that!

The Mirror are reporting that Vicky Balch is battling to avoid one of her legs being amputated.

Indeed, her lawyer has stated that. You read about it and hear what she has had to say (through a voice actor) on BBC News.

The BBC also reported that the car the 16 people were in was suspended upside down for 20 minutes before the crash..... I think someone got confused. I cant understand why if the car was stopped at the top of the hill lift for 10 minutes whilst there was a stalled car on track that there is no pictures or video of this which inevitably would show the crash. As we have stated before modern human nature is to film everything even when its not the right thing to do, it all just doesnt make sense to me.

not looking very good at all, it's all very dark at the moment, hope she is able to get around things without an amputation.

That leach of a lawyer gives me the creeps anyone would think it was him with the life changing injury's.
He's a prick with pound signs in his eyes.

That leach of a lawyer gives me the creeps anyone would think it was him with the life changing injury's.
he does seem to be trying his best to keep this in the news as much as possible, more publicised it is the more £ he can hope to get as merlin will want to keep the media and their image as much as possible

You can't blame him though, he is just doing his job, which is to fight on behalf of his client, get as money for them as possible , and yes, this in turn results in more payment for him.

After reading through the accounts of the riders who were injured, I don't think any of us appreciated how bad an accident this actually was. Two people who potentially may never walk again, someone with a punctured lung, another who has lost the use of some of their fingers (which, may seem trivial to some, but you try doing things without your index finger, or a thumb!) - and worse still, it seems this accident could have been avoided. Why the hell someone didnt notice the stalled train on the track during the 10-15 minutes they were stuck on the lift hill I will never understand.

If I were one of those on that train now stuck in hospital with those injuries, i'd be wanting my laywer to get as much compensation for me too. Also, dont forget, a million pound compensation may seem a lot, but that will have to see you through the rest of your life, and these kids were only 16-17 years old. Say they have another 60 years to live, thats £16,666 per annum. From they have to fund things they may need to help them through life with their injuries, or loss of limbs, it will affect jobs, driving a car, etc ect

So I dont think we are right to critise the lawyer at all.

I bet other theme parks in the UK are crapping themselves because this will set a precedent for claims on future accidents

You can't blame him though, he is just doing his job, which is to fight on behalf of his client, get as money for them as possible , and yes, this in turn results in more payment for him.

After reading through the accounts of the riders who were injured, I don't think any of us appreciated how bad an accident this actually was. Two people who potentially may never walk again, someone with a punctured lung, another who has lost the use of some of their fingers (which, may seem trivial to some, but you try doing things without your index finger, or a thumb!) - and worse still, it seems this accident could have been avoided. Why the hell someone didnt notice the stalled train on the track during the 10-15 minutes they were stuck on the lift hill I will never understand.

If I were one of those on that train now stuck in hospital with those injuries, i'd be wanting my laywer to get as much compensation for me too. Also, dont forget, a million pound compensation may seem a lot, but that will have to see you through the rest of your life, and these kids were only 16-17 years old. Say they have another 60 years to live, thats £16,666 per annum. From they have to fund things they may need to help them through life with their injuries, or loss of limbs, it will affect jobs, driving a car, etc ect

So I dont think we are right to critise the lawyer at all.

I still feel uncomfortable making assumptions about why the ride restarted. Don't get me wrong I think the likely cause is human error but for all we know the thing might have just sprung back into life of its own accord (not likely but possible). It bothers me the media make assumptions based on no data.

As for the injuries they are bad and I don't think you can fault a solicitor working to get maximum compensation. This isn't a fall over a "cracked pavement" type claim, they have life changing injuries and deserve a lot of money.

Only thing I will say just because it could cause offence is an amputation doesn't mean someone will be unable to walk. Even Double amputees usually maintain independent movement. That said with above knee amputations prosthetics become more expensive as you need a moving knee joint that can lock to bare weight. Hence why certainly Leah deserves a very hefty compensation.

My only possible grumble is Merlin have said they will want for nothing so i do wonder why the solicitor is making so much hay, could he risk wearing good will thin and Merlin deciding to go through court arbitration instead who may not offer as much as Merlin originally where willing to give. I doubt it but if I was the family I would worry about pushing it too far if it impacted on the amount I could get.

Completely irrelevant:
£1m will earn you at least £40k per annum in interest (high street rates)... A half-decent investment structure could get you £100k.
£2m; double that - deducting income tax of course.

No to mention Compound interest:
Let’s assume an interest rate of 4%, compounded monthly.

Your million pounds will have earned:

1 day: £110
1 month: £3,333
1 year: £40,742
5 years: £220,997
10 years: £490,833
20 years: £1,222,582
30 years: £2,313,498
{http://monevator.com}

You would never need to work again, put it like that - don't get me wrong however, these people deserve every penny.

Last edited:
Thats assuming £1m would be left in the bank to gain interest. I would imagine a hefty outlay at the very start to pay for equipment, adapted car, rehab costs etc. And yes, Dave, your correct, having a leg amputated doesnt mean you wont walk again.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.