• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
Why should you, these rides are perfectly safe, everything has been designed for your comfort and enjoyment. (Unless they edited that out to)

If they keep the sanctuary, they could sell it then.
Clever! That will go over the head of the Daily Mail crowd.

Last edited:
If they re-brand I doubt we'll be seeing any smiler merchandise again, I'm sure they'd see selling it as disrespectful to the victims of the crash and their families.

This is so sad. I used my Smiler Umbrella the other day and have sweatshirts? Does this mean people are going to stop wearing clothes as well?
It was a horrible accident, but people shouldn't feel ashamed to have the merchandise just because they enjoyed the ride. I'm almost scared that if I do wear my Smiler tops someone will have a go at me?

I think rebrand is exactly what's going to happen. It's a shame but I just get the feeling that's what they'll do, as it will take a very long time for this incident to be forgotten, and because of the way the internet works info will still be floating around 1 or 2 years from now, easily.

Any time someone searches "Alton Towers" or "The Smiler" on Google, they're gonna get tons of results from news articles. Any time someone looks up on YouTube they're gonna get more of the same and probably footage of the incident itself. Its not uncommon for videos to pop up at the top of the YT results that were posted 4 or 5 years ago. The incident on RMT happened before YT really took off. We're in a whole different era of technology and social media compared to 2006.

Obviously merch will be destroyed.

Never really like the name "The Smiler" anyway but it was a pretty strong brand especially with the evil smiling face.

Never really like the name "The Smiler" anyway but it was a pretty strong brand especially with the evil smiling face.

Didn't like the name either. When they were coming out with names like 'Nemesis' and 'Oblivion' I always thought 'The Smiler' was a bit weak. Then again, not too chuffed about 'Rita' either, even though it's a hat-tip to being a Rollercoaster InTamin Accelerator.

Didn't like the name either. When they were coming out with names like 'Nemesis' and 'Oblivion' I always thought 'The Smiler' was a bit weak. Then again, not too chuffed about 'Rita' either, even though it's a hat-tip to being a Rollercoaster InTamin Accelerator.

RITA backwards is ATIR - Alton Towers Intamin Rocket

RITA backwards is ATIR - Alton Towers Intamin Rocket
Which in turn is pure coincidence!

:)
Really. Big coincidence but can't see Alton towers naming it that way (this is the same park with the aerial inversion rollercoaster.)

Logical answer would be that they would destroy it.
If is a Rebrand Give all of the merchandise to the people who in the queue for the smiler, call it their compensation instead of just fastracks. Given a couple of years it would have been worth more than any actual compensation if they hadn't sold as much. Seen on eBay a bit of smiler merch going for as much as some black hole stuff.

Or maybe they will change the colour yellow to the colour orange on all of it and sell it as oblivion.

Last edited:
Can't quite tell if people who think Smiler merch will be worth something in the future are being serious or not...

Because it won't. They sold thousands upon thousands of random bits of tat (amongst some good things) to goodness knows how many people.

Even if they do rebrand it - the merch will be worthless.

Really. Big coincidence but can't see Alton towers naming it that way (this is the same park with the aerial inversion rollercoaster.)

The Aerial Inversion Coaster is also an enthusiast-generated mnemonic!

Everyone knows Nemesis is the only one with a mnemonic that was meant from the start.

Neutral Evil Muffins Empower Safety Items Separately ;)

If is a Rebrand Give all of the merchandise to the people who were on the smiler, call it their compensation. Given a couple of years it will be will be worth more than any actual compensation

You're kidding me. Why would anyone who was involved want merch of ride they were injured? It reminds them of the incident which has done horrific mental damage to them.

Last edited:
Never underestimate what collectors are prepared to pay for an item just because it is linked to something they like.

There's so much of it around that I doubt it will be worth much. This seasons merch would probably fetch the most because it wasn't around for long before the accident.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.