• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Incident on The Smiler 02/06/2015

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.
We do know that it will reopen at some point, I bet there was a stage when it was never going to open again back in June.

Really? Merlin have shareholders. No business writes of £18m no matter what has happened. People have died on rides that are still running.This was always going to reopen it is just a case of when, which we don't know despite all the speculation.

200 pages.

i feel like i could have used some more sensitive wording the other day. For those i may have offended, i apologise.

still i feel the woman was morally wrong but i could have been more tactful in my wording.

Everything clearly points to the ride reopening this season, it is just a matter of waiting now. The shop is stocked, the pit is cleaned, the bins are lined.

I will get in my car and drive 4 hours to the park if it opens before Tuesday. (Next wage withdrawal)

I am looking forward to it reopening but if it doesn't this year, i won't be that hurt either.

200 pages of anger, care, hope, concern disgust and longing. This thread itself is a world class rollercoaster for all the ups and downs, helixes, stall turns and even the odd dive loop or two. It does feel closer than ever but as stated we're still just in the same position we were in after they opened the park and x sector back up. I love all the speculation but it is strange what that longing will do and where it takes people.

Someone has already said that and been shot down so let's not go there. Anyone on site today? Been a few days since there was any updates from site.

In all the ride opening times changes taking place from Saturday The Smiler is mentioned. but Sub-Terra which has been closed for almost the same amount of time ha been mentioned.

Apparently a cherry picker by the shop, maintenance and red wearing guys in station (I believe they're staff but not 100% sure) and people working on the marmaliser. It's getting closer!

I think 200 pages is quite an achievement, in particular due to the varied debate on here, and the way we have been able to conduct ourselves without getting into flame wars, or being offensive to each other. Yeah the debate may have strayed in a few places but its pretty well mannered - which I think deserves recognition!!!

On Twitter Alton was asked about the ride opening today their response

@altontowers:We would like to reopen Smiler at a later date but the final decision will only be made after we've undertaken all necessary steps

On Twitter Alton was asked about the ride opening today their response
It's good to see that their response has changed from the standard "The Smiler will remain closed until further notice/for the foreseeable future." etc.

:)

My take on it is. They know what needs to be done, they are doing it, however they can not pin the completion of the test and clearance down to a set date.

"Cannot" or "will not"? The way I see it, does Alton Towers want to publicly give a set date where they will have completion of the ride's prep done and all relevant paperwork to sign off the site? As I see it, there are two potential things that can happen if AT announce a fixed date for reopening:

1. Delays either by internal or external personnel mean that AT miss opening, which could cause some backlash through the media (no doubt they'll sensationalise that somehow or another).
2. AT meet the deadline/fixed date and the ride re-opens, to be greeted by a number of press outlets who travelled there to get the exclusive story who had been told the fixed date.

If AT are going to announce it at all, they will announce it through either a press conference, video (including NV riding the ride first as promised), or through a press statement the morning BEFORE it re-opens. In my opinion, they won't announce it at all, and they'll just let it silently re-open the ride and let it run for the day. Only after the ride has been in operation all day would they release a statement/hold a press conference to answer any potential questions from the press. Whatever angle you look at it, AT are going to get bad press from this, but they need to work towards minimising the bad press as much as possible - they can do this by making it absolutely crystal clear that additional safety steps have been incorporated into the ride's already vigorous safety checks, to further prevent an incident like this happening again. They should also mention what that their internal investigation has concluded (eg. human error combined with an unique set of circumstance - eg high winds I'm presuming for the stall, and system override to reset the ride and get it moving again) and ensure that it is made clear that thorough training has been taken place over the last few weeks (hence the testing) to ensure that staff are fully competent in operating and working on the ride. Mention that they're continuing to support the victims and that they discussed the reopening with them before they made the decision to re-open the ride.

Ps. changing the wording that the Social Media team have put out recently is a positive step forward considering recent events, although "foreseeable future" was suitable enough for what it was needed for, as sick and tired we all was of seeing it! I do feel bad for their Social Media team however, cannot imagine how difficult it's been for them responding to people about it for the last 3-4 months. Let's hope that a reopening is near!

Update from other forum. "Cherry picker is up now and the technician is wiring it up & using a small wind device and directly blowing into it."

Calibration of the wind speed detector. One more step forward. The question is how nany more steps are there to go?

Calibration of the wind speed detector. One more step forward. The question is how nany more steps are there to go?
Surely can't be many now?! Think about the work they've done on the site recently, the clearing and cleaning of the whole site overall, the constant test runs, weather reporting system being installed/linked up, etc..... I don't think we're too far away from a reopening, and it can't be too long until we see it back in full operation again.

Status
This topic has been locked. No further replies can be posted.