• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Inspirational people

Michael Schumacher probably more than anyone, but also Mick Jagger and Peter Beagrie (a footballer) a great deal in the past.

My inspirational people:

Noam Chomsky, Roland Mack, Stewart Lee, Yamantaka Eye, Alan Bennett, Richard D. James and Subcomandante Marcos.

Stephen Fry
If you haven't heard of Stephen Fry, then you need to get out more. He's a truly amazing man, and I have learned so much from watching him on QI.

Lord Denning
Lord Denning is a famous judge from the 20th century. Well-known for being a bit of a maverick in his decisions, I've come to respect him quite a lot.

Martha Costello QC
A fictional character portrayed by Maxine Peake from the BBC One legal drama 'Silk', Martha is truly passionate about her job as a criminal barrister, but does tend to get very emotionally attached to her clients, which can have its benefits and drawbacks. Even so, she shows that she's only human, and makes mistakes sometimes, but that's why I like her so much.

Chris Pappas
Another fictional character here, played by James Mason in the Australian soap 'Neighbours'. Why Chris? Well, he's gay, and the struggles that he's been going through with regard to relationships and coming out to people seem quite similar to the struggles that I'm currently going through in that same area of my personal life. I have so much respect for him, I really do.

There's lots of people I think are inspirational to me, but I'd say the biggest one for me is footballing legend Paolo Maldini. For those who know little about football or him, he played as a Left Back, the positions I played in growing up and still play in now for a team.

He is (in my opinion) the best defender in footballing history by far, winning 5 European cups among other things in a career than spanned over 20 years for the same club (AC Milan). He was a amazingly talented player, a dedicated person and an inspiring captain. It's because of him that I love football tbh.

:)

Martin Parr

He's a photographer, and someone I highly look up to. He is someone who I appreciate the work of a lot and one day hope to create work as good as him. If anyone's interested in photography and has never herd of him (I'd be surprised if you haven't tbh) check out 'The Last Resort' created in 1986. It's a beautiful series of photographs documenting New Brighton during the 80s. :)

To all those who have change the world in some way three people stand out for me

Firstly Steve irwin for his amazing work to conserver wildlife
Secondly nelson Mandela (should be aware of his achievements)
And finally ayrton senna for lost of his life that change formula 1 to the great and safe sport it is today

Fun fact - Ian Brown was jailed for air rage on a plane which was being flown by my dad's cousin.

Kate Bush

images

An inspirational person to me because of her quirkiness, bohemian style and professionalism. Kate Bush really stands out to me as a woman who gets the job done, isn't afraid of criticism or of being labelled 'weird' and lets her eccentricities influence her lyric writing alongside music videos that are always a joy to watch. The lyrics in particular, every song is different and has a different story or meaning... In other words, she's always reinventing and never conforming to 'normality' per se. I could listen to her all day and not get bored.

She also did a promo for Efteling in 1978.

My inspirational people is my Dad. Anthony (Tony) Roebuck.

My Dad came from a very underprivileged family, his mother was divorced from her first marriage (with 2 children) and married to his Dad - something still relatively unheard of at that time. He had 1 sister, and 2 step-siblings, there were 6 of them living in a 2 bed council house. His step sister had autism and took up alot of time and attention.
When he was 12 he came home from school to find his sister dead on the sofa aged 14, she had an undiagnosed heart condition.
Later that year his dad became ill and never really left the house until he died (when I was a child).
Despite alot of things against him, my dad did well at school, going to a grammer school as a teenager (when schools were chosen by ability) and bizarrely he learnt to play the guitar and joined a band with 2 teachers and spent his older teenage years gigging and drinking with teachers!

He finished school and was recruited to the local steel works, as most men did, he worked hard and met my mother there (she was a telephonist). Got married when he was 21, and had me and my sister a few years later. While I was growing up, he stayed at the steel works - including doing a paid degree through work including visiting Japan for several months to help them set up steel works.

He managed to bring me and my sister up excellently, by the time I was born we were living in a lovely house overlooking a field in a nice community and we had family holidays.

I never went wanting or without as a child, my Dad worked shifts and I remember many a time going to give him a cuddle at lunch time to get him up. He always supported me at school (and he loved art, maths and physics which I could never do).
During a freak work accident he had his hand crushed and lost his index finger on his left hand - and as part of the physio was recommended to learn to play and instrument. For the first time in years he bought a new guitar, and then started a band - still going in 2012!

As I got to 17 and to college he was made a senior manager at the steel works and stopped working shifts, we moved into a lovely new house a mile away from where we originally were. They are still there now, and love it. I moved away for a while which he helped with, and was there to take me to the pub when it all went horribly wrong.

Fast forward a couple of years to when I came out, and he met my future-husband, he wasnt happy originally - but eventually has been one of the most supporting people ever. He loves my hubby, sometimes I think more than me, we all go to the pub drinking and love spending time together and he is the best granddad to our children (including buying our boy a guitar recently).

He retired at 50, and decided he had worked hard all his life to support his family and it was his time! He started doing a history degree, which he has almost finished. And this week starts a part time job in a hospital doing some technical advice job, as he has got bored sat at home.

He has travelled to 4 out of 5 continents, spends his free time walking, in the pub with family or reading. Then a couple of times a year him and my mum go on far flung holidays, and comes back so excited to share his stories and normally photos sat on a barren beach with a beer.

--

My Dad - the most hard working, focused and loving man ever. If I manage to achieve half of what he has in my life I'll be happy.

I can only think of one for now, I might have others later.

Ruud Van Nistelrooy, former football player. When I first started to follow United, he was my hero. He scored often, and he had an excellent work rate. When I play for my local club, I tried to emulate his playing style and it improved me as a player. Even today, I watch videos of his past performances in awe. Definitely one of the best EPL strikers of the last decade or so. He retired somewhat recently, which I find a shame, but without him I would probably have very little interest in the sport. An inspiration.

Tom said:
^ No Ian Brown? ;)
haha yeah Ian brown is one of the greats when it comes to music but there was so many for music so just left music out of it

Rowe said:
She also did a promo for Efteling in 1978.

That's amazing! I adore the freaky little dance she does at 3:40!

One of the things I most like about her, apart from her being an incredibly successful yet artistically experimental independent woman, is her idiosyncratic weird dancing style!

There are many inspirational people in my life, some more than others.
The main one is my mum;

She grew up as the eldest of 9 children, all living in a reasonably sized house. When she was young, however, her Dad, my Grandad, got very serious burns from an accident at work and almost died. This left my mum to care for the rest of the family whst he was in hospital, as my Nan was too shocked to do anything.

We move forward a few years and sbe was pregnant, but the child died whilst developing in the womb, which was common at that time. However, a few years later, she had my brother, and then me!

A few years ago, she was diagnosed with breast cancer, and was very ill off the treatment. This was one of the scariest moments of my 14 years in existence. She has now recovered and is pretty much back to normal. I thank the doctors for this.

She has always stayed with me when I need her, such as when I went into hospital, or when I feel upset.

I thank her for all of this.