• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Internet Privacy - Thoughts?

Zeock

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Nemesis
First of all, I am definitely more solicitous about internet privacy than most people. My search engine is DuckDuckGo, and I use the Signal messaging app. However, I still know that there are companies that know a lot about me because I have both a YouTube account and a Discord account. I use Reddit, but I don't have an account there.

There are a myriad of people who think internet privacy is needed now more than ever. It is palpably clear to everyone that the amount of data being collected and stored is increasing. The digital trail we all leave behind, which consists of all the information you give about yourself online, is slightly esoteric. If you are on the internet, potentially anyone can find you. The Internet provides unprecedented ease of communication, but it is very insecure. Even if you delete a message, it can easily be retrieved by someone with the skills to do so.

One area that is particularly egregious in terms of privacy is the area of social media. Social media is very good at deluding people into thinking that privacy no longer subsists. As technology advances, the concept of privacy becomes blurred. Privacy is essential to human life because it allows us to have freedom of expression. The importance of privacy is still very important because it allows us to feel both safe and in control. However, as we become more dependent on technology as a society, the line between what is private and what is public is becoming increasingly blurred. Some argue that there is not much that can be done about privacy because private information is often posted online for anyone to see. Data shared on social media can often engender malevolent people attacking the person who shared their data, whether online or in real life, after these people have tracked the poster down. Many younger people who have grown up with social media take the lack of privacy for granted because they don't remember a time before social media when private information wasn't stored online. More recently, however, people have learned the risks of sharing private information and have become more careful about what they post on social media. This suggests that privacy is not deceased.

Some people seem to think that national security is more salient than privacy and that giving up their privacy could help law enforcement identify threats to society in all forms. Nowadays, most people accept CCTV cameras in public places. They say that if people have nothing to hide, then there is no point in keeping things private. This is quite an interesting quandary, but shouldn't it be possible to be able to conciliate between national security and privacy? To protect and value both?

There are also people who are aloof about privacy because those people believe that they are not important, but they are just small cogs in the wheel of society. Why would companies endeavour to spy on you if you really weren't that important?

Even with the advent of the World Wide Web, there are still ways to protect your privacy online. You can simply share less online or use strong passwords. You can also use a VPN. (The Opera search engine has one integrated, but most need to be procured), or simply block search engines from tracking you. Free Wi-Fi is also something to be wary of, as it can expose you to a virus, and public Wi-Fi can be compromised by a hacker who can inject your device with either viruses or malware.

In conclusion, I believe that more legislation should be put in place to protect everyone's privacy online, as it is a basic human right, and despite living in the online age, if new protection laws were put in place, it would allow for a greater degree of privacy in our online lives. I hope that I have been able to put together a cogent argument in this essay about why online privacy is still acutely important in 2023.

Last edited:
To me the Internet isn't a private place, it's a social one. It is literally communication with the outside world en masse. How can that ever be considered private?

I think people have an over inflated opinion about how important they are, about who wants to know their business and what value that is. The reality is noone really cares if you like coasters and trains and had lasagne for dinner and go to x school. Why would they?

The only real difference to me that legitimate data collection seems to make is targeted ads, and frankly I'd rather see an ad that has some relevance to me than one that doesn't.

I don't really care what people know about me, until we get to the obviously private for security such as passwords. The issue for me isn't so much a matter of privacy but one of security. The important and truly valuable data held about me needs to be stored sufficiently securely. There is already law about that, but the number of data breaches rather suggests it isn't sufficiently robust. That's the area that needs scrutiny. But the data collection itself? If you put it online why would you ever expect it to be a secret?

I don't really care what people know about me, until we get to the obviously private for security such as passwords. The issue for me isn't so much a matter of privacy but one of security. The important and truly valuable data held about me needs to be stored sufficiently securely. There is already law about that, but the number of data breaches rather suggests it isn't sufficiently robust. That's the area that needs scrutiny. But the data collection itself? If you put it online why would you ever expect it to be a secret?
But is that actually true? For example you don't go by your real name or picture on here. You should have the right to be anonymous if you want, like you have here.

If anyone is under the illusion of having actual and reliable anonymity on here or any other social media they are a fool. Why would you? It is by its very nature social. If we were sitting in a room discussing these things and I didn't know you I still wouldn't be anonymous, it's the same here. The people running a site like this are unvetted and have access to my sign up data etc. There should be no particular trust there, I'm sure they could find any of us if they really wanted.

FYI my user name is my initials and location, I've posted my home town, place and location of work repeatedly on here, and my bio does (did? It might have been lost in an update some time) link to my Facebook profile in my own name. You might be able to find me in the odd news report or press release. The picture is my own face, monkified at Epcot. I have no reason to be concerned by any of this, unless themepark fanaticism is about to be outlawed...

@JAperson I'm sure you or any other person could work this all out I knock on my door tomorrow morning if you really wanted to, as could i withost other people here. But why would you? And why would I care if you did? I'm not important.

Last edited:
It's very difficult to want to be private on a platform that by nature was designed to share information.

It's easy to say don't use the Internet or mobile phones, but literally everything is geared up towards using them.

A massive issue is coming, no idea what but it's coming. Especially with the development of AI. We have legislation that is out of date the day it's created.

It's not safe, never has been BUT if you aren't an idiot online, chances are you'll be fine.