• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is It Time To Forget The Holocaust?

Harv

TS Member
Following on from a few interesting things I've seen on TV in recent days, concerning the Holocaust (including a very harrowing documentary on C4 last night, I'd recommend picking up on 4OD if you're interested in this kind of stuff). In particular, this morning, on BBC One, there was a debate asking whether it is time to forget the Holocaust and move on, and there were plenty of different views. Some were arguing that other genocides since are often overshadowed by the Nazi Holocaust (Rwanda, the former Yugoslavia, Armenia etc.), others that believed it is time to leave the Holocaust in the past and move on, others that argued we should remember it forever and those that said that the Holocaust is already all but forgotten.

I wondered what the views of TST are on this topic?

I am personally very much in the group that believes we need to remember the Holocaust always, as one of the standout events of history that must never be glossed over. I fully support the teaching of the Holocaust in schools (even though I believe it is now off the syllabus due to some complaints etc.) and would encourage anyone in society to head the important lessons we can learn from the horrors of this terrible event.

No might aswell forgot about everything that happened in ww2
Tbh it's rather disrespectful

Last edited:
I'm sorry to be so blunt, but that's a stupid question.

Of course we shouldn't. One of the biggest atrocities to have ever happened in history, we should never forget it. Not just to remember those who lost their lives, but so we make sure it never happens again.

So to put it short, no we should not forget the Holocaust.

The Holocaust should never be forgotten. It's one of humanity's darkest stains of the 20th century, and should always be taught as a reminder of exactly what can happen should the politics of hate take over.

Nothing in history should ever be forgotten.

Quite simply, no. Never. Has there been any other time in history when something on a big a scale as this has happened? The fact that it was less than 100 years ago makes it even more scary.

Reactions: Tom
I watched the documentary last night on Channel 4 and I was very pleased that they did not show a single advert during it.

As some people may have seen (I think on here... or was is before this place.....) I visited Auschwitz in 2012 during a holiday to Krakow. It was a moving place to visit. I knew a lot about the war and the concentration camps that Germany had set up. It is something different to stand in the camp where over a million people were murdered. To see the possessions that they took with them. The piles and piles of suitcases with names on them, the glasses, false limbs, the cans of used gas cans. It has an impact. There was one photo I got which was in one of the national exhibitions, which was well worth looking around if you ever visit, It is the name of everyone deported to Auschwitz from the Netherlands. I would guess the size of the font is about 8pt at most. How big would the wall for 1.5 million people be?
547773_10151719863620788_1828005531_n.jpg
My Grandad was lucky enough to escape before he ended up in a Russian labor camp, in fact he twice escaped from Europe, so I would not be here if things had turned out differently. He had members of his family killed trying to liberate his country from the Germans.

One of the reasons I feel we should remember it is because of the way in which these people were murdered. They were not killed fighting for their freedom or fighting to defend their homes, they were rounded up and taken via trains to camps that were set up to exterminate them. It was very industrial. Everything was done to keep the new arriving prisoners calm when there were led in to gas chambers made to look like showers. Its not just the coldness that this crime was committed it was the organised and industrial nature of the genocide.

It should not be forgotten, it was too big, too horrible and too evil to just be forgotten as something that once happened.

I watched the documentary last night on Channel 4 and I was very pleased that they did not show a single advert during it.

As some people may have seen (I think on here... or was is before this place.....) I visited Auschwitz in 2012 during a holiday to Krakow. It was a moving place to visit. I knew a lot about the war and the concentration camps that Germany had set up. It is something different to stand in the camp where over a million people were murdered. To see the possessions that they took with them. The piles and piles of suitcases with names on them, the glasses, false limbs, the cans of used gas cans. It has an impact. There was one photo I got which was in one of the national exhibitions, which was well worth looking around if you ever visit, It is the name of everyone deported to Auschwitz from the Netherlands. I would guess the size of the font is about 8pt at most. How big would the wall for 1.5 million people be?
547773_10151719863620788_1828005531_n.jpg
My Grandad was lucky enough to escape before he ended up in a Russian labor camp, in fact he twice escaped from Europe, so I would not be here if things had turned out differently. He had members of his family killed trying to liberate his country from the Germans.

One of the reasons I feel we should remember it is because of the way in which these people were murdered. They were not killed fighting for their freedom or fighting to defend their homes, they were rounded up and taken via trains to camps that were set up to exterminate them. It was very industrial. Everything was done to keep the new arriving prisoners calm when there were led in to gas chambers made to look like showers. Its not just the coldness that this crime was committed it was the organised and industrial nature of the genocide.

It should not be forgotten, it was too big, too horrible and too evil to just be forgotten as something that once happened.
Some really interesting stuff there, ajd I couldn't agree more on the industrial level it was at.

Yes. That is perfect phrasing. The industrial nature of the killing is what sets it apart from other genocides in my mind. There is a coldness about it that is just horrifying. I think there is more to it than just hate. It was enabled by ordinary people, or rather, the Nazis were enabled by ordinary people. It was like society had become mentally ill all at the same time and that phenomenon is far from understood so I believe we are far from the point where we should forget.

The Holocaust is unfortunately used and abused by Zionists to justify the continued atrocities committed by the state of Israel, and Israel's own Holocaust against the Palestinians. Holocaust Memorial Day basically becomes You Can't Criticise Israel day.

There are far far less significant events in history that we haven't forgotten and won't forget in a hurry from much further back than a mere 70 years ago, so why should we be forgetting this?

and that phenomenon is far from understood

It is quite well understood actually. This isn't a condescending post by the way, just shedding some light on it.

It is surprisingly easy with the correct methodology to completely enslave a population into a systematic method of belief. The social experiment at Stanford Prison goes to show how frighteningly easy it is!

http://www.simplypsychology.org/zimbardo.html

That's kind of a 101 introduction as to understanding cults, mass enslavement, genocide, extremism etc.

When you add in more than just the social surroundings, layer it with brainwashing propaganda, exclusion of outside influence, powerful symbolism linking to behaviour and expectations. I mean you just add layers and layers to it.

Our political parties use it, advertisers use it, media use it, anyone trying to exert authority and is successful uses it (it wont work WITHOUT it if you're trying to bend a persons natural disposition).

Look at the football game in the war, what happened there?

Something bigger, more engrained in culture, more meaningful for a moment broke the spell. Men became men again, not German/British etc.

So when asking the question, how did it happen?

The shocking answer with people as clever and manipulative as Hitler (and others since), is EASILY.

Controlling the masses isn't a conspiracy theory, it's a fact, and it's well rehearsed, well learned, and highly skilled - skills which when you have them, you can use to influence a core support and build.

UKIP by the way are IMO a fumbling version of it. I would be extremely surprised if that was not massively stage managed.

Even sports teams use it, the them and us mentality, causing people just in a sport to lash out or whatever at people off the field of play they may be great friends with.

It's how humans work. Worryingly.

Having been to Auschwitz I can tell you, i'll never forget walking around those two camps, especially the second one, the sheer scale of the place is just breathtaking.

As for is it time to move on? NO. Why? Because humankind hasn't moved on. It can, and probably will happen again, as it has done on smaller scales already, Rwanda, Bosnia etc. and if groups like ISIS had their way, it would happen again on the same scale as the Nazi's.

Unfortunately, we live in a world where people tend to only now think of themselves, where people would rather ignore a person laying on the street in need with their faces stuck in their phones adopting their "i'm alright Jack attitude". Sad, but its reality. If its one thing a World War teaches the people of the time is that life is precious and to be respected - we seem to have forgotten that in the modern world.

Its all very worrying. And Blaze is right with regards UKIP, its how Hitler started out, and gradually the people of Germany were brainwashed and the killings began (although, many German people didn't know what was actually happening to the Jews).

So, no, things like this should never ever be forgotten for the sole reason that we have to try and stop them ever happening again. I doubt we will succeed though, i'm not sure, there is a worryingly increasing amount of hatred in this world which will only get worse with time.