• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Is 'Plussing' Marketable?

Jon

TS Member
I want to start a discussion on whether it would be worthwhile and profitable, if unlikely, that Alton Towers has as its focal marketing feature for one season the upgrading of several rides around the park.

The Smiler is nearly here. While none of us have ridden it yet, and none of us knows the extent and sophistication of its themeing, from what we can see already I think it's fair to say that this looks to be a highly impressive new development. It provides for a gap in the park's offering, the need for pure, physical thrills. Not only does it provide for this need, it excels in it. The layout is physically excellent. Fourteen highly elaborate inversions add considerable ballast to the park's reputation and confirms in the minds of guests what the park can do.

The physical aspect is, of course, only one reason why we are excited about this development. The ride also commands an impressive aesthetic concept which is fun and engaging. That bosses agreed to budget for an extremely large marmaliser with LED screens and multiple effects is hugely encouraging. As the ride is already so physically impressive, such a feature is in no way depended on - it is a glorious extra. That the park was willing to pay a substantial amount on such a feature is confirmation of their understanding of the important role themeing has to play in guest satisfaction.

The fact that The Smiler appears to excel in both ways has made me think about the rest of the park's rides. Though the enthusiast community typically bemoans the lack of themeing on certain rides and dwells on areas in which they could have been better, I think the introduction of The Smiler puts some of these views into a more pragmatic light because it shows that Alton Towers is willing to make serious investment in the total experience of the ride and not just in the most marketable features of it.

I wish to state at this point that I think any discussion of this kind would do well to stick to pragmatic reasoning. We can speculate until the cows come home about what we might have done to make rides better if we were in charge of their construction; we daydream about what might be done with the Air tunnel ad infinitum. However, I want to pose the question about the possibility for the park having a year where many rides are upgraded at the same time. Interactive themeing features, increased theatricality, maybe even some physical upgrades like a speed boost on Rita (I believe Stealth did this on its second year?). Then have an advert which breaks the detail and attention spent on these rides into something marketable: "Bigger! Faster! More thrilling than ever before!"

The fact is, the park does not have masses of space to play with. There are only so many more large-scale developments that can be made before the park considers deconstructing rides already there. I can't help think that any future investments would be maximised if the entire park offered stronger rides with experiences that hold their own and emblazon themselves on the memories of guests. There are some very clever creatives working for Merlin. If Candy Holland was given money to play with and told she was to revisit certain rides, I have no doubt she would rise to the challenge and produce some excellent improvements. Thirteen might have themeing along its outside section, trees that spring up as the car passes; Air might be supplied with geysers and a decent tunnel; the Congo River Rapids and the Runaway Mine Train might be treated to something that actually resembles a mine in the tunnel, with glistening jewels all around.

To advertise that the entire park has received some kind of upgrade would be mysterious and engaging enough to encourage guests to make that revisit. Is it conceivable that the park doesn't simply maintain and improve rides casually, but makes a concentrated, park-wide effort and market this upgrade during a year where nothing substantially new is planned?

I have believed for a long while something similar to this approach would be good. I don't like the idea of trees springing up but the tunnels to be themed would be good.

Money should go to Nemesis' station, Ripsaw's theming, Air's Tunnel, Duel's needed overhaul (To any people who have done work to Duel, I take my hat off to you but you must agree Mack? need to come and sort the system out and some money needs to be thrown at it), RMT's and CRR's Tunnel, Flume needs major work/pulling down, Sonic needs some work, Storybook Land needs some love, X-Sector needs finishing off (Rehydrator I'm looking at you), Dark Forest needs to become a forest and both rides need repainting and theming more, Charlie needs retheming or binning and the park needs a new monorail soon.

TL;DR? Basically AT need to spend and then can market it as £x being spent on the park.

Well, it worked when the Haunted House was transformed into Duel, so on that basis, 'plussing' is very marketable.

Jonathan said:
Well, it worked when the Haunted House was transformed into Duel, so on that basis, 'plussing' is very marketable.
But they didn't advertise Duel beyond a small promo on the website, so I doubt the refurbishment brought in much extra revenue. I wouldn't call what they did to The Haunted House "plussing" and it is still a very unmemorable "filler" ride to most people.

The Haunted House needs to be a haunted house again, basically. That's what it was designed for and you cannot convincingly adapt the ride system or the available space to anything else. It will never be a super-impressive, spectacular experience like contemporary dark rides, because it wasn't supposed to be that in the first place. Likewise it will never make a good laser quest!

A good, fun - yet magical and unique - haunted house ride would suit Alton Towers remarkably well. That's what it should be. At the moment it fails at that, because it has become incoherent and tacky through all the post hoc modifications.

Thirteen is where I would like to see the most improvement. The whole concept of the possessed forest and Gothic Revival wonderland was beautiful, sinister and even inspired by Alton Towers' history; but what they opened in 2010 was patchy and unconvincing. I actually think if Thirteen was more fully realised it would significantly improve the experience, and it would be one of the most fun rides at Alton Towers. Currently it feels like they never quite finished it. Yet I still love the ride.

...In fact the Dark Forest on the whole is rubbish. It still has most of the game stalls from Ug Land which no longer suit the tone of the area, and that huge space at the back really needs a support ride. Unfortunately Rita and its queueline are problematic obstacles, both physically and in terms of creating a strong atmosphere.

I also strongly agree that X Sector needs some reimagination, its stylishly dark personality is just not coming through in full force. It will be interesting to see how The Smiler's presence lends to the area's atmosphere once it opens.

The parks seems to be not just to improving and expanding, but to be revising the park and filling in the cracks. Removing The Beastie is an example of this. Sure, the main reason it left is because it was old. But it wasn't just old - it was irrelevant. It was a fairground attraction from a by-gone era in which Alton Towers got profits simply by scattering the park with attractions. Now that the park has been doing this for some years, it will not add any new attraction that doesn't assert itself as part of the park's infrastructure, as something permanent and impressive. It's rides like The Beastie which show the cracks and rides like Squirrel Nutty that set a standard.

Instead of a medium investment year, I would rather have Alton go back to all areas of the park and give them a good clean up as well as adding high quality theming to all rides and areas.

It would make the park so much better and would leave them with more money for other projects as there wouldn't have to be as much maintenance on rides every year.

I would agree with just about everything brought up in this topic.

I have come to realise that what makes Alton Towers impressive as a 'theme' park is not the actual theming at all, which in fact there is very little when you come to think about it, but the way in which the rides have been carefully crafted into the natural environment.

Most of the best theme parks in the work have no natural beauty of their own, so everything therefore has to be created artificially which involves the over-usage of fake rock and stone. At Alton Towers though, pretty much everything is real. Look at Nemesis' pit, the canyon in Katanga 'Canyon' which both the rapids and runaway train pass through not to mention how Gloomy Wood and X Sector are nestled in their own dells.

Most of the 'plussing' that is required across the themed areas and attractions at Alton Towers is not individually marketable, but as a whole could be advertised as a refurbishment project or "a new and improved Alton Towers" combined with a relaunch of the brand (new logo etc)

:)

I agree with everything in this thread so far. I just don't know if it really would be marketable? For ethusiasts and people who frequent the park it'd be a welcome move and enough to get excited about. I'm thinking that the general public aren't going to be overly 'moved' though? I guess it depends how they'd advertise it if it ever came to be, but as excellent as the ideas are I can't see a group of teenagers (who aren't 'into' AT or theme parks) caring all that much about revamps or themeing.

Even if it was unmarketable to a small number of people, they would not see it as a bit run down if it wasn't run down! Also they will be satisfied that the rides will stay due to the care they get.

I think perhaps it is marketable, on the condition that the marketing exaggerates the kinds of improvements being made. Guests cannot always identify what it is they find impressive. Rides are self-explanatory, but other aspects of a ride are less marketable but nonetheless make a strong impression and confirm Alton Towers' brand position. Themeing, ducks that emerge from the darkness and a guy in a squirrel costume all belong to this breed of 'silent' marketing.

Consider the 'King of Coasters' campaign. That had its own TV adwhich had an epic scale far beyond what this marketing ploy actually amounted to. Yet, crucially, it did good things. It solidified the brands of the five 'greats' to an extent and was generally good marketing. An advert that centred around improvements could do the same thing. Greatly exaggerated to draw guests in, and once in the park the improvements themselves would have an actual impact, even if being told before hand 'this year Air has some themeing' would not have excited them much in the first place.

A little story for you all. My partner had never been to a theme park before he met me. He is frightened to death of rides and doesn't like theme parks at all, but puts up with me and has visited quite a lot now.

Every time we visit any of the Merlin parks he constantly goes on about how horrendous everything looks. He has said Alton Towers is filthy and he even thinks they should close it for a year and clean everything (although we as enthusiasts know thats not feasable :p).

Another example, we visited Thorpe Park recently and he said he would never ever ride Colossus due to the state it is in and thought it was about 50 years old.

In contrast, we went to PortAventura last year and he had nothing but good things to say about it. In fact, he's done nothing but compare all the theme parks we've visited since to it.

The point I'm making is that not just upgrading existing rides but generally taking care of them does have much more of an effect on the GP's day out and overall impression of a park than you might care to think.

Personally, from an enthusiasts point of view, I think it would be great. However, if you look at what the general market place desires it can and I assume almost certainly would look like a cop out, or taking the easy/cheap route.

In general the public want something new - there's only so much you can do to an existing ride to rejuvenate it. Alton Towers should focus on newness over rejuvenation - that's ultimately what will attract people to come back.

Not sure whether this would be the right topic to post this in but here you go anyway.

In the future, I think the Dark Forest will be rethemed again, because at present this are of the park is a complete mess, is depressing to be in, and is just the laziest excuse for a themed area I've seen.

My idea would be to turn the Dark Forest back into the colourful, music-filled area it once was by creating the 'Thunder Rock Rally'. Remove all traces of Dark Forest theming, (basically all the scaffolding) and begin to paint the buildings in bright colours, mainly orange, red, yellow and blue.
The area is big enough to install some Rally Cars as theming, think of old retro cars with flames painted down the side of them. Return Rita to its former name of Rita: Queen of Speed, place racing theming within the queue, rally cars, bunting, tyres. The queueline TVs would be removed completely as they are not needed. The area soundtrack would be once again 'Thunder Rock Rally Radio' as that was perfectly fine before.

TH13TEEN would become 'Race 13', which would make it easier to recall the ride as it keeps the number 13 within the name but the theme would be substantially changed. The queueline would be changed to include more race style theming but more styling to repair work, gas pumps. The station building would be restyled to resemble a control tower and repair garage, this would be fairly easy to do as most of the building is covered with corrugated metal anyways. The scaffolding would be removed and the top of the tower reprofiled to resemble a control tower. The room containing the tesla coil would be rethemed to resemble a mechanics workshop, with various tools on the walls and nostalgia posters of the famous 'Race 13'. The station would resemble the main 'garage' with various car parts shelved on the walls, numerous spare tyres stacked around the place, and 'Race 13' banners hanging from the roof.

The crypt part of the ride would be done to another 'workshop' with sound effects representing a quick repair on the 'car', wheel nuts being unscrewed, engine revs, then the lights would turn off, the ride would drop with the sound of various clattering objects to stimulate the collapse of the floor. The bottom section would remain in darkness so no theming would be required here, and then it would reverse as normal, this would further disorientate people as they wont have seen anything since the lights turn off at the top half.

Over in the corner of the area where the UG Swinger used to reside, a new Rodeo/Breakdance 4 ride would be installed. This would be themed around spinning tyres and would attract more people into the area.

The shops/outlets would all be renamed and retimed to match Thunder Rock Rally.

Overall the area would look greatly improved and much more lively than it presently is. And the retheme wouldn't cost all that much. I feel that these improvements would finally make the area seem complete, and for TH13TEEN theme to finally reflect the height limit.

ryanlovesaltontowers said:
In the future, I think the Dark Forest will be rethemed again, because at present this are of the park is a complete mess, is depressing to be in, and is just the laziest excuse for a themed area I've seen.
Exactly! However, I strongly disagree that the Gothic theme should be abandoned. It is perfect for the forested area, right next to the Towers themselves, clever, subtle, different... And very Alton Towers.

The racing theme was the most bland idea ever to be built at Alton Towers. "Thunder Rock Ralley" basically consisted of a tagline on a sign and some bunting. It had no depth and wasn't exciting for anybody, just a tacky excuse to explain Rita's stupid presence in Ug Land.

Dark Forest needs to be totally reinvented, including totally designing Rita's infrastructure to recover the space lost to Rita's queueline and shifting the food kiosks that cause the bottlenecked entrance. A support ride between Thirteen and Rita is desperately needed, in fact it's pretty silly that they didn't install one in 2011 when they had the chance.

Thirteen is a brilliant little gem, I wouldn't want to see it suffer any silly 'retheme' at any point in its life. The chilling theme is actually well suited to the family audience, since children enjoy being frightened in the context of fun. Obviously the ride is still quite disjointed, so ought to have some improvements in the future.