• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds - The New Generation 2012

Stevie

TS Member
So the Martians are on tour again at the end of this year, with a revamped version of the much loved 1978 sci-fi musical. Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds - The Next Generation.

Currently the cast stands at:

• Liam Neeson (in 3D holography),
  • Marti Pellow
  • Kerry Ellis
  • Ricky Wilson
  • Jason Donovan
  • And one more to be announced in the coming months

I'm a bit saddened by the fact Justin Hayward and Chris Thompson won't be returning, but as Jeff Wayne said, it is 'The New Generation'

Facts about the new show have been released

As an 11-foot high holographic 'head and shoulders' as The Journalist recounts in 1904 his story of survival from the Martian invasion of Victorian England some six years earlier.

Within CGI sequences seen on a 100-foot wide 'Animation Wall'.

Perhaps the most remarkable element, and a world first in live entertainment, will see Liam Neeson appearing full body on stage interacting holographically with the show's live performers. A triumph of technology and a remarkable performance by Liam.

A 3-tonne, 35-foot tall Martian Fighting Machine firing real flame Heat Rays at the audience and scanning them with its bug-like eyes, as it 'lands' on centre stage.

Special effects and illusions including a world first 'levitation' and the Martian Fighting Machine's 'incineration' of a cast member

Leaf drops over the audience and surround sound that engulfs them, contributing to the all-encompassing experience that is The War of The Worlds.

Tour dates are as followed -

UK
  • 29th November - O2 Arena - Dublin
  • 1sth December - Echo Arena - Liverpool
  • 2nd & 3rd December - Motorpoint Arena - Cardiff/li]
    • 4th December - Capital FM Arena - Nottingham
    • 6th December - Wembly Arena - London
    • 7th December - NIA - Birmingham
    • 8th December - Evening News Arena - Manchester
    • 9th December - Metro Radio Arena - Newcastle
    • 11th December - SECC - Glasow
    • 13th &14th December - BIC - Bournemouth
    • 15th December - O2 Arena - London
    • 16th and 17th December - Brighton Center - Brighton

Also a new double album featuring the new cast is to be released in November of this year..

I have to say I'm very excited for this new project!

:)

I would love to see this show, but as soon as I heard they were replacing Richard Burton with Qui Gon Jin, I lost all faith in humanity.

DiogoJ42 said:
I would love to see this show, but as soon as I heard they were replacing Richard Burton with Qui Gon Jin, I lost all faith in humanity.

I absolutely adore Liam Neeson, and I think he'll be able to pull it off. Okay he's not Richard Burton, but we're just gonna have to make do with Liam .

But I've got this nagging feeling in the back of my head, that's telling me that it'll be like a tribute show, without any of the original performers. But a very spectacular tribute show, at that!

:)

I have no issue with recasting the live performers, that's a fact of life with shows, and often brings new life to them. But given all the effort they went to filming a Burton lookalike lipsyncing his dialouge, why then recast him when they don't need to?
Not counting the score itself, Burton's voice is the most iconic thing about the whole album. Somehow I doubt that the phrase "slowly... surely... they drew their plans against us." will have the same gravity in an Irish accent :p

Stevie said:
A 3-tonne, 35-foot tall Martian Fighting Machine firing real flame Heat Rays at the audience and scanning them with its bug-like eyes, as it 'lands' on centre stage.

A Cameo of Ian Crabbes SW7 "Iron Crab" maybe?

6f37a3ecc78a4fc2a35dca5.png

LewisNavex said:
Stevie said:

A Cameo of Ian Crabbes SW7 "Iron Crab" maybe?

6f37a3ecc78a4fc2a35dca5.png

More like this tbh ;)

wotw-stage.jpg