• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kennywood: 2019 S&S Coaster - Steel Curtain

It had to happen sooner or later, but this appears to be the first ever case of a ride name resulting from an autocorrect fail.

Wonder what the 2nd word was supposed to be and how badly they mangled it to have it turn into curtain.

World's first coaster with 9 inversions; it took long enough!

Certainly an interesting and unique layout. Hopefully S&S don't mess it up!

:)
From what I have read the Chinese S&S launched coasters are all good! And Gale force sounds good when it's working..

I'm assuming the name is in reference to the stadium (or part of it), like if a German park got a Borussia Dortmund themed area and named a coaster "The Yellow Wall" or Blackpool getting a "Tangerine Dream"...

At least as an IP it's a local one that will get many people over there (and presumably some worldwide too) excited, not sure why because NFL is awful mind...

Shame S&S are building it though, could've been fantastic otherwise...

I was having a look last night, apparently "Steel Curtain" is a nickname for the Pittsburgh Steeler's defensive line in the 1970s, when they won four super bowls in six years.

A few more thoughts on this from me. I am a bit of sucker when it comes to unusual coasters and I do think that the layout looks pretty good. It it rides smoothly then it will certainly be a lot of fun.

The less said about the name the better; it is awful. It's one of those names that you can imagine them thinking up in a brain storming meeting, and because of the moment they were in, mindlessly thinking it was the best name in the world!

Also here is a rendering on the enitre ride:

Dif2uEMWkAMDVml.jpg

The supporting structure sure is ugly!

I like the name, seeing how the entire area will be themed to the Pittsburgh Steelers naming it after one of their most famous nicknames makes complete sense. Plus they could've used a name referencing the terrible towels or something so it's already better than it could've been.

Not really getting the excitement with this one. Sure it looks different, but a shame it uses its height predominantly for inversions and very few airtime moments - also the concept images make it look horrible aesthetically!

I thought we were past all the "most inversions" rubbish by now? Like, Colossus at Thorpe has had 10 inversions since 2002 so I hardly see how having 9 can be seen as an achievement? Why not prioritise a good ride instead of trying to get a daft claim like that?

Also, "Steel Curtain?!" And to think people thought Icon was a poor name...

I thought we were past all the "most inversions" rubbish by now? Like, Colossus at Thorpe has had 10 inversions since 2002 so I hardly see how having 9 can be seen as an achievement? Why not prioritise a good ride instead of trying to get a daft claim like that?

A LOT of the American parks are like that though, Biggest on the East Coast/Midwest/California/insert location here is a very common theme...

They just do it as part of a few stats to throw at people to make it sound more impressive, they've not had to go up to owners and beg for money and make up an USP on the spot to sell it...

Plus this has the most inversions of any coaster in the US which is quite a big deal, especially when some consider there to be no world outside of the US borders!

I don't mind a coaster where the main focus is inversions; we don't see quite as many of them these days really so it makes for a nice change.

The name takes so much explanation it's ridiculous. There are refences wrapped up inside references. As I understand it:
  • Pittsburgh is famous for making steel
  • They call their American Football team the Steelers
  • In the 70s they had a very effective defensive line
  • At the time, the Soviet union had imposed a media and cultural blockade on Western powers nicknamed the Iron Curtain based on the idea that nothing could get through it
  • As a result, the Steelers' defence gained the nickname the Steel Curtain.
  • Kennywood is near Pittsburgh
  • This coaster sort of resembles a giant curtain of steel if you squint. It's also painted in the Steelers' colours
  • 40 years after the term gained popularity in very specific demographics, someone thought this would be a good name for a roller coaster
  • Everyone not from Pittsburgh or who doesn't follow American Football is confused
So yes, a very strange coaster with an even stranger name.

Last edited:
But the coaster is located in an area where people know about the Pittsburgh Steelers and the steel curtain. Also the NFL is the biggest sport in the USA and the Steelers historically one of the most famous franchises. So it's appealing to the parks core audience of people in the localish area.

I doubt they would, Steelers are probably one of the most recognisable teams and Pittsburgh would probably descend into anarchy...

Not really getting the excitement with this one. Sure it looks different, but a shame it uses its height predominantly for inversions and very few airtime moments - also the concept images make it look horrible aesthetically!
Kennywood isn't short of airtime! I think them chasing inversions isn't accidental.

It's still important from a marketing point of view, as @Benzin said. Anyone from Nowhere, Pennsylvania or Anywhere, Ohio isn't interested in Colossus 5000 miles away, but Kennywood is an absolute institution in its local market.