• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

King's Dominion 2013: Record breaker

Sam

TS Member
Spotted by coaster_rider93 on CF.

Check out the KD website, one of the six images on the slideshow at the top.

http://www.kingsdominion.com/

"Breaking records... AGAIN! The countdown begins Sept. 12"

Accompanied by a kitschy graphic of an American space rocket blasting off from earth.

Any ideas? The graphic is certainly exciting, but can't imagine them getting a huge new coaster so soon after I305. Space themed dark ride perhaps?

I'd love to see the first space themed dark ride in the 'new generation' of dark rides, à la Potter, Spiderman, Transformers.

Edit: grabbed the image. When you click it, it just reloads the page.

KD12-372%20Teaser%20Homepage%20Banner.jpg

I'm going for a SkyLoop launch, Purely because of the correlation in concept artwork and the value of the purchase etc.

Launch_small.jpg

That's got to be the most misleading theme park advert I've seen. Why advertise a surprise new attraction with the tagline "Breaking Records... Again!" and an image like that if you’re just announcing an expansion to a kids area :p ::)
I’m sure an equal announcement for the largest of its kind kid’s area would have been a better way to attract the right attention.

Will it be the largest amount of kids' ride technology ever brought together in one place? Will it be ever Planet Snoopy I've ever dreamed of in one? I need to know! :D

Well the Planet Snoopy ideas might have made you get your hopes up over nothing, but Screamscape reported this morning that Kings Dominion is planning a major new coaster for 2015! The downside of this is they don't think the park will be doing anything for 2014.

2015 would make sense for the next major coaster, as it will then have been 5 years since I305. Will be interesting to see what they go for next, I feel they could do with another B&M!

:)

Well here's their coaster line-up:

Anaconda - Arrow Looper
Avalanche - Mack Bobsled
Backlot Stunt Coaster - Premier family LIM Launch
Dominator - B&M Floorless
Flight of Fear - Premier LIM Launch
Ghoster Coaster - ACE family woodie
Grizzly - Taft woodie
Hurler - International Coasters woodie
Intimidator 305 - Intamin Giga
Rebel Yell - PTC woodie
Ricochet - Mack Wild Mouse
Shockwave - Togo Stand Up
Taxi Jam - E&F Miler kiddie coaster
Volcano, The Blast Coaster - Intamin Suspended Catapult Coaster

A new woodie might be a good idea, due to the fact that their youngest (Hurler) opened in 1994. They could always turn either Hurler or Grizzly into an RMC wooden hybrid coaster? They could even take both of them down and build a much larger wooden coaster if they wanted? But yeah, either an RMC hybrid or a regular woodie from either Gravity Group or GCI.

There's not much point in replacing Rebel Yell as it's a long, thin coaster, so the only thing they could do there is build another long thin coaster. Unless they go for something like an Intamin air time woodie like El Toro or Colossus, it's not worth the bother in my opinion! :p

Out of the steel coasters that I think would be worth getting rid of for a new ride, Anaconda and Shockwave spring to mind! :p Anaconda is probably worth replacing, though it is built mostly over a lake, so I don't know how easy it would be to replace, or whether they could really build anything in its place anyway.

The area surrounding Shockwave looks rather bland, so if they scrapped that, moved any surrounding attractions and knocked down a few of the structures, they'd have a decent amount of space there to play with. Maybe a B&M wing rider could go there, with a rethemed flat ride to go with it?

I wouldn't mind seeing a B&M inverted coaster, actually. If they were to get a B&M inverted coaster, I'd like to see something different, as American parks almost always go with very uninspiring layouts or give them poor themes.

So I'd suggest either a new wooden coaster (hybrid or a regular woodie), a B&M wing rider or a B&M inverted. They don't have a B&M flying coaster, but would they go for one of them? I don't think they would anyway, but it'd be great if they could pull-off a Sky Scraper style ride.

But all of those ideas are for if 2015 brings a new white knuckle coaster. I guess there's nothing to say it won't be a family thrill or something else?

An update (with images) from KDFans about the new Snoopy themed attractions can be found here. :)

Intimidator 305's having more problems. A train has been stuck on the lift since Monday and is believed to have been caused by a lift cable malfunction:

2013_0709_I305-stuck.jpg

Source.

From Screamscape:

Park News - (7/14/13) More bad news for the while Intimidator 305 problem… word has it that the ride is closed while they wait for some kind of custom gear box part to be made to repair the cable lift hill system. While this is expected to take at least another week or more to come in, the park may have another dilemma. To access the area to repair the lift, they may have to remove the roof of the room it is in, and to complicate things even more, they still need to figure out how to get the train DOWN from where it is still perched near the top of the massive lift hill.
Just a guess on my part only, but if they can’t somehow winch it over the top, I’m guessing they’ll have to get a massive crane in to bring it down piece by piece. I’d suspect that crane’s that tall are hard to come by on short-notice as well. Stay tuned for more updates, I know the locals are keeping a close eye on this one.

Oh Intamin...

Oh dear lord! There seem to be a few rather large oversights in this problem, though I guess that's nothing new for Intamin! Will be interesting to see how they do get that train down. Hopefully they can get the problem fixed sooner rather than later.

More bad news regarding Intimidator 305 from Screamscape:

Park News - (7/25/13) More bad news for those hoping to ride Intimidator 305 at Kings Dominion. According to Screamscape sources the train has finally been removed from the lift hill so the repairs can begin, but we shouldn’t expect to see the ride reopen until late August or early September at this point.

Screamscape said:
2014 - 40th Celebration - (11/13/13) Kings Dominion is going to make a big surprise announcement for their 40th event on Thursday, but has released a teaser image on Twitter a few hours ago. I’m not sure what it is… kind of looks like a blurry dog picture… but that doesn’t make any sense, does it?

GIttsWJ.jpg

Looks like a blurred coaster layout to me... RMC woodie?

Here is the second clue:

1465196_10151696893801875_2138035519_n.jpg

I have no idea what it could be!

They've said on Facebook that they are going to be many "surprises" during the closed season related to their 40th celebration. The 40th celebration year will be 2015 and a new major coaster is expected for that year so one of these surprises could be that. I'm not sure the big coaster would be the first thing they'd choose to announce though.