• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Dominion: General Discussion

I do find it peculiar that the larger parks in need of higher throughput rides are more than happy to gives these things a look in, yet the smaller parks which they would be perfectly suitable for, just don't seem to care about them?

I know it's been long known that KD were going to be investing in one of these, but the announcement just makes it feel all the more.... underwhelming?

I believe this is intended to be a filler year for KD as opposed to a major one; aren’t they supposedly replacing Volcano within the next couple of years?

This is just replacing a flat ride right? It was a top spin called Crypt I believe. I don’t think it actually touches the land that Volcano was on.

This is just replacing a flat ride right? It was a top spin called Crypt I believe. I don’t think it actually touches the land that Volcano was on.
Yes, Tumbili is only replacing Crypt. It’s unknown what will be replacing Volcano at this point in time.

Top Spins used to be a big new thing, now they're chicken feed. Bizarre really.

Reactions: Tim
There's been much speculation recently about Grizzly being subjected to some form of Gravity Group or GCI re-track. Today the park have confirmed the refurb, but aren't commenting on what nature of refurbishment it'll be. It's long overdue regardless, it's a dreadful ride.

Full article here.

1667838261876.png 1667838268091.png

This is definitely needed. I'd imagine it is going to be similar to the major refurb that was given to The Beast at Kings Island.

Kings Dominion are making Grizzly taller, steeper and, I assume, faster.
Screenshot 2023-04-14 10.46.43.png

I don't see it living up to Volcano's reputation, but it looks interesting.
It won’t be too difficult for it to be better than Volcano, The Blast Coaster was. Sure it had a large reputation but it in reality it was somewhat underwhelming.

This sounds like a solid addition to the park. Thunderbird, another launched coaster, is my favourite B&M Wing Coaster.

Over a quarter of the layout is one long flat spin and the brake run.

Not the most inspiring looking layout, it has to be said, especially given how fun Thunderbird is.

Carowinds have announced Intimidator is becoming Thunder Striker, screenshot below:
1709150485143.png

Could well be different themes for the two rides going forward if the western rumours for I305 are correct

Apparently Dale Earnhardt Snr's widow wanted more money than they wanted to pay for the rights, with Intimidator being a Dale IP rather than NASCAR in general. Still one of the most beloved drivers ever in the sport so it is a really strong IP to lose.