• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Island: General Discussion

The speed and positive G's as the drop curves up into the loop should be incredible. Most likely the best first half to any invert.

Screamscape said:
Park News - (10/21/13) Is a new name or theme coming to Flight Deck at Kings Island in 2014? Months ago I did hear some early rumors and speculation that the park might rename the ride as “The Bat”, as both an homage to the old removed coaster as well as to tie into the themeing of the new Banshee coaster. I love the idea myself and would love to see it happen… but I’ve heard from a Screamscape reader that many of the old remaining Top Gun / Flight Deck aircraft carrier props have suddenly been removed from the ride over the last week or two. KICentral is also abuzz with talk about the idea and what is going on as well, so make the jump for the latest details.

If this is true then this ride will have had more names than a Nigerian prince!

A couple more photos of Banshee from Kings Island's Facebook page:

1385922_10152253764793368_2018478896_n.jpg

1375237_10152267135053368_540009242_n.jpg

:)

Kings Island have just posted the following on Facebook:

559753_10152280924048368_1036445315_n.jpg

Thirty-three years to the day it was first introduced in 1980, The Bat will fly again at Kings Island. The park is changing the name and colors of the Flight Deck roller coaster to The Bat. The change will take effect for the 2014 season. The new color scheme for The Bat will feature orange track with two shades of charcoal for the columns and structure. Black will be the featured color of the trains.

So by "featured color", I assume that means they're just slapping new paint onto the trains? Shame as I'd love to see new bat-themed shells added so that the trains would look as good as the ones used on the original and our very own Vampire. I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Another new photo from the Kings Island FB page:

1450145_10152283560198368_509198616_n.jpg

That just looks awesome!

Every time I see an update on Banshee, a little bit of wee comes out. I can't wait to ride this.

Sorry to double post! I thought I'd share this photo I just got from the Banshee webcam which shows that the zero-G roll is now complete:

Camera4.jpg

Also a photo that Kings Island have just posted on Facebook showing work on the station. You can also see the zero-G in the background:

1474619_10152334523408368_614395360_n.jpg

Alton Towers, UK, 2013: snow brings construction of The Smiler to a halt.

Kings Island, USA, 2014: snow does not bring construction of Banshee to a halt:

1452448_10152465450703368_881619106_n.jpg

Snow, ice and below 0 temperatures didn't stop Valleyfair from building Renegade either. :p

TPR posted another image of it to their Facebook:

1521822_10152157429673566_1948085020_n.jpg

Love how close the loop track can be to the lift hill because it's an invert! Not particularly keen on the colour scheme, but on a coaster like that it's the last thing you're going to be thinking about.

Rob said:
Alton Towers, UK, 2013: snow brings construction of The Smiler to a halt.

Kings Island, USA, 2014: snow does not bring construction of Banshee to a halt:

Because sensibly they got all footers and concrete poured before the snow came.... Unlike at Towers

Bit easier to access Kings Island during heavy snowfall as well...

Plus, the American Midwest can handle snow...

Plus it is being built by people who actually have the vaguest idea of how to build things.

Much like The Smiler was thought to be a Euro-Fighter, and is in fact Infinity, this will be mistaken as the new invert and I bet you it wont be.

The only similarities are it has seats, and is under the track which happens to still be square.

This will ride totally different, the experience is an evolution of their design of course, but will be so different due to the swooping large nature, the freedom from the vests etc, that I do not believe it will replace their original design.

This is a Wingrider/Invert hybrid. I really like The Swarm, I find it wonderfully comfortable, crossing it with Nemesis style intensity and meeting in the middle could really be quite the experience.

Never going to replace their standard invert though IMO.

I'd be disappointed if I rode this expecting it to be anything other than a completely different experience, the same as many were disappointed with Wing Riders expecting Nemesis levels of intensity.