• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Island: General Discussion

I disagree, this is the exact type on innovation I want to see B&M making. For way too long B&M have been guilty of making their rides "by the book". they've built so many coasters that can be classed as near clones simply for copying the same elements in almost exactly the same order. You could call this "sticking to a winning formula" but then I'd disagree it was "winning" as their truly great rides (ex. Nemesis) tended to be the ones which didn't stick to the formula at all.

So in terms of ride layouts I'm very glad to see B&M innovating again and trying something new with each ride. That's not to say I'm that impressed with Banshee's layout. The dive loop type elements seem way to over used and the whole ride feels too big for the raw power you'd want from some of the elements. However that ending looks strong with the downward helices after the very unusual in-line roll so that should be good.

Now as for the new restraints they look to be exactly the same as those on The Swarm which I've personally had no problem with and find more comfortable than a regular OTSR. I also don't think the trains are going to feel any different just because they have two support arms rather than four. It still looks bulky to me and B&M of all company's should be trusted for their engineering ability's.

I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the reviews are like once it opens. There must be a good reason for B&M moving away from their tried and tested trains for Inverts. B&M haven't produced that many Inverts recently, maybe they feel they need to make a modification so that they appeal to parks once again? Or maybe when working with Kings Island on a layout for Banshee they realised that with new trains they could try a few different elements such as the in-line? It is an interesting one, and it will be interesting to see if B&M produce any more 'standard' Inverts in the future or whether they continue solely with this new design.

:)

Rob said:
B&M haven't produced that many Inverts recently, maybe they feel they need to make a modification so that they appeal to parks once again?

I don't see why they'd have to do that though? Inverts (B&M inverts that is), IMO, are the best and most thrilling type of gravity coaster. I know people always want different experiences, but it honestly baffles me that parks opt to go for SLC's over B&M inverts when they cost only marginally less. They offer a smooth ride, a complete set of forces (negative and positive G's) as well as the added bonus of footchoppers and the below the track novelty. Why parks just stopped wanting them in the late 2000's is a complete mystery to me, and most likely to B&M also.

It probably comes down to a simple thing that any park that wanted a B&M inverter probably already owned one or owned an equivalent such as a floorless or a sit down. I'm glad to see another inverter crop up though. :)

Re: Kings Island - Son Of Beast and B&M replacement

Do you think it's possible that we're seeing the handover of the company from Walter had Claude to a new generation? They're old men now...

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

Re: Kings Island - Son Of Beast and B&M replacement

Sam said:
Do you think it's possible that we're seeing the handover of the company from Walter had Claude to a new generation? They're old men now...

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 4

You might be right with that we are in the transition of management and they are letting the new generation unleash there ideas. Like Sam said they're old men now they have got to be late 60s/70s, It might be time to just stand to the side and let the future unfold.

I'm not really a fan of this if I'm being honest, massive B&M inverts don't do it for me as a coaster at all.

I think it looks very force less and theme less and ambles around the track towards the end. The same goes for Montu because of it's sheer size. Whilst it's by no means a bad coaster, very fun actually, I just don't find it that intense. I'm of the opinion that B&M inverts should be stuck in a pit to be honest haha ;)

Having said that, I do like the introduction of the "Swarm" style restraints going to be used on this. I'd like to hope that they're going to be used for now on as I find them really comfy and good looking :)

God those supports look flimsy and frail compared to say Vampire's! What was the reason for it's closure? The fact it tore itself apart? :p

Has to be said, given it's reputation, to finally see a POV it looks rather lame. :/

Ian said:
God those supports look flimsy and frail compared to say Vampire's! What was the reason for it's closure? The fact it tore itself apart? :p

^^ No banking on the turns as well, so the swinging mechanism in the trains got worn out pretty quickly.

It looked amazing though.

Ian said:

Probably the fact that at one point it actually hits the bit of metal that stops it swinging too far horizontally. It must have done that every single time. :p

The swinging on that thing looks pretty damn wild though... Not surprised it tore itself to pieces xD

Oooh, supports:

799926919.jpg