• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Island: General Discussion

It looks a bit blasé in that video, even at what seems like decent speeds.

Much like other recent B&Ms, give it a few years, and I reckon it will be a bit more of a beast.

The zero-G roll and subsequent drop into the pretzel is a masterpiece though.

Dave said:
Hard to assess B&M's on video as they don't throw themselves around as much as other manufacturers but this does on the face of it look very sluggish.

But B&M have struggled to produce "thrilling" for a decade now.

If its in testing, its going to look a little slow. But I don't judge till I ride, no pov is a true representation.

EDIT: Oh its not in testing. Well its still new.

As a massive B&M fanboy I was super excited about this (can maybe tell by the Avatar & sig :-[), but compared to Helix, this does look, well, as many have already said... Dull.

Some elements are/look truly fantastic, but my excitement of riding this next year has dwindled drastically.

The POV probably doesn't do it justice in all fairness. The sheer size of some of the elements must make them look slower, and some still look like they could still pack quite a punch.

In other Kings Island news...they've added seatbelts to Diamondback. -_-

BmF85jWCEAAxyNq.jpg:large

Image courtesy of nesdude

I've just been looking at some reviews on TPR where B&M are not overly popular at the moment. Well to all you B&M doubters, every review I have seen has been good! It seems to have exceeded everyones expectations with many people who have ridden both saying that it is better than Raptor at Cedar Point. It sounds like the zero-g roll is fantastic along with the first drop. It sounds like it gets quite intense after the zero-g as well, it certainly isn't a "forceless new B&M" as many were expecting.

Pretty much all reviews have said the same thing as well so it's all look good! It does seem like some seats have a bit of a B&M rattle, mainly outside seats towards the back.

All in all I want to ride this even more now!

:)

Yeah it's amazing what happens when a park invites you to a media day isn't it..

(Not that I am cynical of TPR in anyway :p )

I've read reviews of people who were at the media day and those who have been since the park opened. They are all very similar.

Rob said:
I've just been looking at some reviews on TPR where B&M are not overly popular at the moment. Well to all you B&M doubters, every review I have seen has been good! It seems to have exceeded everyones expectations with many people who have ridden both saying that it is better than Raptor at Cedar Point. It sounds like the zero-g roll is fantastic along with the first drop. It sounds like it gets quite intense after the zero-g as well, it certainly isn't a "forceless new B&M" as many were expecting.

Pretty much all reviews have said the same thing as well so it's all look good! It does seem like some seats have a bit of a B&M rattle, mainly outside seats towards the back.

All in all I want to ride this even more now!

Well given that, I may have to give this a go! :D

Now that Banshee has settled in quite a few people seem to be saying that it is better than Montu as well as Raptor. Of course this could be a case of new ride syndrome but everyone is saying that it has got better since it first opened and it was good then anyway! It definitely does have a rattle though. Really need to get to Kings Island sometime to ride this!

Re: Kings Island - Son Of Beast and B&M replacement

I'll take it with a pinch of salt.

Won't be at this park for some time though.

Bump! Decided to re-name this topic for general Kings Island discussion.

Back in April fences with signs saying "caution, watch for falling trees":

13001026_10153487466156723_478874007087946219_n.jpg

Then a few says ago Kings Island posted this on Twitter:

image_2159.jpeg

Is this hinting at a new coaster in 2017? There are rumours of a B&M Giga. I'd have thought Kings Dominion were due a major coaster from Cedar Fair for 2017 but that has been said for a few years now and it never materialises.

I'm not surprised King's Island are getting another big coaster so quickly (compared to other Cedar Fair parks) when you consider the size of the park's reputation and area size combined, it's probably only second to Cedar Point. I also wouldn't be surprised if it were a B&M Giga. I mean when you take in Cedar's relationship with Walter and Claude at the expense of someone like Intamin, and the fact that Canada's Wonderland and Carowinds have gotten a hyper and giga since they took over, it comes as no shock :p

Saying that, it surprises me how little King's Dominion have gotten in terms of coasters since Intimidator. I say 2018 (at the latest) is my guess for theirs as BGW are building InvadR for next year.

Surprised that this has been missed here! It looks like the 2017 coaster rumours are true, Screamscape have been sent a leaked copy of plans for a King Island wooden coaster:

db_2017_ProjectPlans1.jpg

There are some thoughts that the plans may be fake but we shall have to wait and see about that. If they are genuine then GCI seem the most likely candidate however someone over on CoasterForce has suggested that it will not be GCI.

SFOGdude25 over on TPR has created a No Limits re-creation based on the leaked plans although seeing as we only have an overhead layout this should be taken with a pinch of salt:

thumb_screenshot-2016-06-13-00-29-06.png

If that is what's being built then it looks pretty decent without being mind blowing.

Indeed, unfortunately it is at 3am UK time! :p

Something to look forward to in the morning! Will the leaked plans turn out to be correct?

Well the leaked plans were correct, Kings Island will be getting a new GCI wooden coaster in 2017, Mystic Timbers!

thumb_screen_shot_2016-07-28_at_23.png

Kings Island said:
MASON, Ohio – Construction is underway on a new wooden roller coaster adventure for visitors to Kings Island.

Themed to an area surrounding a lumber company becoming overrun by a mysterious medusa-like overgrowth of vines as nature reclaims its land, Mystic Timbers will be 3,265 feet in length, reach 109 feet in height and weave along steep cliffs, down ravines, cross over water and go through an extreme S-turn, among a forest of trees, at speeds up to 53 mph.

The ride will feature a total of 16 airtime hills, a mid-course tunnel and interact with parts of the Kings Island & Miami Valley Railroad and White Water Canyon attractions.

“Mystic Timbers is naturally exciting because of its setting in a densely wooded area,” Kings Island’s vice-president and general manager Greg Scheid said. “The natural rugged terrain and tunnel ensures a unique and memorable ride experience.”

Mystic Timbers is custom designed and built for the topography of Kings Island by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. Three trains will accommodate 24 passengers each (four riders per car and six cars per train) with a capacity of 1,275 riders per hour. Guests must be at least 48 inches tall to ride. The ride experience will last more than two minutes.

“Everyone who enjoys the fun and thrills of riding a roller coaster will want to experience this attraction,” Scheid said.

Mystic Timbers will debut in the spring of 2017 and become Kings Island’s 16th roller coaster and its fourth wooden.

With the addition of Mystic Timbers, Kings Island’s wooden roller coasters will combine to measure 18,804 feet of track, which will be the most at any amusement or theme park in the world.

Those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on Mystic Timbers at mystictimbers.visitkingsisland.com. Visitors of the website may also access exclusive updates and features, including virtual ride renderings, ride statistics, construction photos and a live Web cam.

ki_mt-layout_micrositerendering.jpg

ki_mt-firstdrop_micrositerendering.jpg

ki_mt-shed_micrositerendering.jpg

POV:

If all of the airtime hills do provide decent airtime then it could be a very fun ride indeed. Looks well themed for a Cedar Fair attraction as well. The big question of course however is what actually is in that shed? Drop track is what immediately springs to mind but would this be more difficult on a wooden coaster? The safest bet is some sort of show scene at the end of the ride with effects of the vines taking over.