• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Kings Island: General Discussion

Sammy

TS Team
Favourite Ride
Untamed - Walibi Holland
Yes, that's right people, the day has finally arrived where we have to bid goodbye to the infamous Son Of Beast at Kings Island in Ohio.

3tl11baqgpcus0bh829000.jpg

Yes, this colossal 218' wooden Gerstlauer legend, the tallest wooden coaster in the world, is set to be torn down later this summer to make way for a future expansion of the park, after standing dormant for the last 3 years. At 7032' long the coaster is statistically also the 4th longest coaster in the world and the 2nd longest in the USA, after it's 'Father' coaster 'Beast' also at Kings Island.

When it originally opened, on the 26th May 2000, it was the only wooden coaster in the world to contain a vertical loop, however, this, along with several other factors, would later lead to several problems resulting in the coaster gaining its now infamous reputation among the enthusiast community!

RCDB said:
The Son of Beast was originally built with a 118 foot tall vertical loop. Problems encountered during the 2006 season closed the ride for the remainder of the 2006 season. During the 2006/2007 off-season many changes were made, most notable was the removal of the loop. While the loop was not the direct cause of the 2006 problems, removing it allowed lighter trains to be used, which in turn was done to prevent the problems in 2006 from reoccurring.

The coaster then continued to operate from the start of the 2007 season, minus the loop, however in June 2009 after several more recurring problems, it was closed once again. And unfortunately after 3 years of speculation among enthusiasts as to the future of the ride, this article on Kings Island's own website confirms that the coaster will never operate again.

So, there we have it, the largest wooden coaster in the world, is soon to be no more! This begs questions along with recent projects by Rocky Mountain Construction, such as The New Texas Giant and more notably Silver Dollar City's Outlaw project for 2013... What is the future of huge wooden coasters such as this? Will we ever see a vertical loop on a wooden coaster again? Is it really possible to build so high using wood without serious problems?

I guess only time will tell!

Re: Son Of Beast - The End is Nigh

The worst kept secret in the industry is finally out. :p

If they'd waited a few years and built it as an Intamin pre-fab, not only would it still be running today, it could be one of the best coasters in the world. A shame. :|

The interesting question here is will there be a Son of the Son of Beast. It is a relatively young coaster, and the press release refers to the ride being dismantled, rather than demolished, which leads to the real possibility that the parts from the ride could well be reused down the road to create an entirely new coaster, whether that be at Kings Island itself, or indeed elsewhere, if the park choose to try and sell the wood on.

It would seem the sensible thing to do in these thrifty time; after all, why go to all the expense to hewing fresh timber to the specification required for a coaster, when you've effectively got a coaster Mechanno set on hand. In fact the size of the coaster probably means the wood could go towards making more then one new coaster, if used correctly. The joys of wood, eh?

Interesting times indeed.

Squiggs said:
The interesting question here is will there be a Son of the Son of Beast.

Grandson of Beast, surely? :p

I wouldn't read too much in to the "dismantled" comment, probably an Americanism. I'd be genuinely amazed if we see any of this wood used in another coaster ever again.

I once rode of the the Third Cousin, Twice Removed of the Beast, but that quite another story all together.

Sam said:
I'd be genuinely amazed if we see any of this wood used in another coaster ever again.

A boy can dream though. Such things are what create great heritage. Most rides these days are just so interminably dull in the tales they can tell, with the current trend of parks to flatten everything and dump a shiny new monolith to banality in the place of whatever inherent beauty a corner of their site might have once held.

Sometimes I think we may as well just start following supermarkets, as their construction and originality is about on a par with the best most parks these days seem to be able to muster. </rant>

Such a shame. If they waited a few more years for the new technology to come out it would still be running today.

I wonder what they'll get to replace it?

A Rocky Mountain hybrid maybe? :p

I feel that by demolishing Son of Beast, they are missing a great opportunity to give it the Texas Giant treatment. That could have been a spectacular coaster and it would of allowed us to keep one of the most impressive looking coasters ever built but with a ride to match its looks.

Maybe, but only if RMC had drastically altered the layout. Apparently it wasn't just the roughness that was wrong with it - it was a really boring layout too.

Who knows what they've got planned for next year - maybe it's something much more exciting!

Sam said:
Who knows what they've got planned for next year - maybe it's something much more exciting!

Shame they've already got a Dinosaurs Alive...

Looking on Google Maps, there's a huge tract of land waiting to be used once SOB has been demolished. Alot of potential there. :)

The lift hill now standing on its own... picture courtesy of CF.

A4pUYlcCYAAvGe4.jpg

Urgh, I remember it closed originally like, a week or so before I visited... So disappointed :(

Plenty of choices they could have for a replacement though...

Buy the beast!

If you're gutted you didn't get to ride it or will miss it you can apparently now buy pieces of it!

Here's a piece of it:

8068690265_c19da87ece_n.jpg

Son of Beast coffee table, anyone? :p

Demolition video! Amazing stuff!

qS4Pt.jpg

v0UAh.jpg

It's way too late to have a major coaster built for 2013. 2014 maybe...? It'll be 5 years since Diamondback...

Re: Son Of Beast - R.I.P

And so that is it, the final bents have fallen!

thumb_665843_10151508579808368_1193646449_o.jpg

This video shows the moment that the lift hill of the Son Of Beast was pulled down.

Now this is all that we have left of what was once such a hopeful new coaster development.

thumb_690193969.jpg

I must say I'm rather sad actually, I remember seeing it in my early days of being an enthusiast before the likes of El Toro or Outlaw Run came along and I really really wanted to ride it, but it was clearly never meant to be!

R.I.P Son Of Beast... May bigger and better things fill your footprint! ;)

Very sad pictures really :( Oh well, here's to something more successful in it's place!

I hope they store all that wood and then use it to make a massive bonfire next year on 4th of July. Would make for an excellent spectacle ;)