• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Knoebels' Flying Turns opening soon? + General Discussion

BigAl

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Forbidden Journey
knoebels.png

flying-turns-knoebels.jpg

Just read on Screamscape that testing has resumed on the Flying Turns ride at Knoebels (remember that Screamscape, RCDB and a few other sources all state that the park were aiming to get this ride open for this season), a ride that has been 'under construction' since 2006.

2013? - Flying Turns - Test & Adjust - (6/28/13) I’ve heard a few rumors online and now a report from AllAmericanThrills to confirm it that Knoebel’s seems to have begun testing Flying Turns once again. According to a few reports earlier this week, they saw an empty train get set out around the track once early in the morning and then put away. However another reader who was at the park on Thursday noticed that the park was testing the train, loaded with water dummies this time, and it ran several times over the course of the day. Looks like they are finally making progress.
So what do you think? Will we see Flying Turns finally open in 2013? It has been a long time coming, with Flying Turns originally intended to open back in 2007, and here we are six years later and still waiting for it.

Flying_Turns.JPG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c2ODbCqYKk#ws

Is it time? :D

What the heck is the point of the first bit? I love the middle bit after the second lift hill but the first bit just seems pointless.

Alastair said:
What the heck is the point of the first bit? I love the middle bit after the second lift hill but the first bit just seems pointless.

Based on pictures i think it is just to get from the most practical place to build the station to the most practical point to build the lift-hill.

With non-flat theme parks you often get these oddities as the station and lift-hill can't always be next to each other.

DiogoJ42 said:
A wooden bobsleigh... The point is lost on me, I'm afraid.
It's inspired by original Flying Turns coasters which were all built before steel was used to make coasters. The ride that Knoebels are creating is inspired by the Flying Turns that stood at Riverview (a now defunct American amusement park that was home to a good number of quirky looking rides and some fantastic looking woodies).

Here are a few videos of old Flying Turns rides:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CBXJEMydQU#
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8D3N4SWGcQ#

:)

BigAl said:
Here are a few videos of old Flying Turns rides:

:)

There is something that appeals to the hopeless romantic in me in those videos.

One of Screamscape's readers sent the website a few photos of the Flying Turns trains whilst the park were carrying out test runs. Shame these don't look like they've been styled to look like the trains used on original Flying Turns rides.

According to Screamscape, the recent testing of Flying Turns has all gone very well with more taking place over the next four to six weeks as another train of cars should be arriving within the next couple of weeks which will need to be put through its paces. Assuming everything goes to plan, Flying Turns might be open as early as late August!

Edit: Just found a video uploaded recently of the testing that has been taking place on Flying Turns over the last couple of months...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8cdZ3Aa0zM#

First time I've properly seen one of the trains (shame only the front car has the top on it) and they look like they're going to be more similar to original style flying turns trains than I'd thought. They look really good!

Screamscape said:
2013? - Flying Turns - Test & Adjust - (9/19/13) I’m not sure if this is just hopeful thinking or a legit rumor, but after Flying Turns failed to open over Labor Day Weekend, the hopeful now believe that the park may try to open it during the Phoenix Phall Phunfest event instead as a special surprise speak peek, much like they did previously with Black Diamond. No promises yet… just cross your fingers.

Another deadline missed for Duke Nukem Forever: The Ride.

According to Coasterforce, its finally...

OPEN! After, what is it? 6 or 7 years after it was originally supposed to open.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Stevie said:
According to Coasterforce, its finally...

OPEN! After, what is it? 6 or 7 years after it was originally supposed to open.

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

It is indeed! The picture below is Dick Knoebel's giving a short speech before the opening:

559472_606371709425468_1135749720_n.jpg

Damn!

Missed it by 6 weeks!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry everyone, would have replied to this topic sooner but I just had a pig fly in through the window.

Just heard Satan's put a pair of gloves on. Jesus, was starting to think I'd never see this day.