• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Knott's Berry Farm: General Discussion

Come on Diogo, translation for some of us mere mortals...
SJW's???

Woops, search misspelling ...
Social Justice Warriors for the unknowing like me.

c7jk6mkv0aaz3ox.jpg

Knott's are removing their Boomerang.
Considering how early in the season it is closing I'd imagine they want to make a start on work for something to replace it in 2018 perhaps? A new coaster?

Bye bye Boomerang, hello HangTime!

kbf-hangtime-logo.png

kbf-hangtime-night-cta.jpg

Marketed as the west coast's first dive coaster, this seems to be what happens when a Eurofighter and Infinity Coaster get a bit too close!

Length: 2,198 ft
Height: 150 ft
Drop: 5 ft
Max Vertical Angle: 96°

No videos or animated POVs of this yet, hopefully some will follow shortly. The first element after the drop looks rather funky!

:)

WTF is that drop...Looks great though considering it's in quite a compact area. I wonder what they'll do with the Boomerang?

Interesting. I wonder what the structural implications are of one inversion supporting another...?

HangTime has recently gone vertical as well:

I reckon this will turn out to be a really good coaster!

:)

I'm not the biggest fan of The Smiler, but I am glad that the industry took the time to understand that it's a solid ride system and that particular incident could have happened with almost any ride hardware.

Also, I suspect their choice of lap bars was a wise one.

If only The Smiler had lap bars.

All things being equal, if the Smiler had lapbars it probably wouldn’t be open.

I imagine the injuries in the crash would have been much worse if a lap bar was crushed into your hips.

Having ridden Karnan, I suspect that lapbars on Smiler could have been a disaster. Karnan's get tighter throughout the ride, if that happened on Smiler it would be awful

Having ridden Karnan, I suspect that lapbars on Smiler could have been a disaster. Karnan's get tighter throughout the ride, if that happened on Smiler it would be awful
Then maybe there's an alternate dimension where The Smiler got lapbars and enthusiasts are begging for OTSR's because the issue is so bad...

I wonder if Karnan's restraints tighten due to its intensity. Is it an issue on other Gersts with lap bars?

Restraints getting tighter mid-ride can happen on any Eurofighter or Infinity in my experience, irrespective of the restraint type chosen. Whether that happens to enough of an extent to be uncomfortable seems to depend on the ride layout/forces delivered.

I fully agree with John about the potential for Smiler with lap bar trains to be horrible. I find the OTSRs tighten noticeably during the ride, but the lap bar trains also have the seat tilted back with a pointed front edge that attacks the other side of your thighs too. It's not pleasant on Karacho, and massively takes the shine off Karnan.

I actually found Karacho's tightening restraints to be a godsend. I instinctively had mine loose at first - I wasn't thinking. When we went through the first barrel roll I felt as if I was about to fall to my doom! In the split second between the roll and the launch I pulled it in as tight as I could, and the rest of the ride was fine.
Couldn't have done that if they locked in both directions.

Mind you, I guess being a large chap, I'm used to having my thighs crushed. They're naturally padded so I don't mind. :p