• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Florida: Expansion

Dave said:
siralgenon said:
Merlin do realize that painting a building to look like the sky doesn't actually make it blend in don't they? They did the same on Zufari!

It's quite an old effect really, (I swear the had a version with a huge floating tap at Towers many moons ago). But as said the whole of the blue support has a cascade of water pouring down it. This makes it look a bit like the rock is floating.

Simple but effective.

No, I'm on about the building not the floating effect

Dave said:
siralgenon said:
Merlin do realize that painting a building to look like the sky doesn't actually make it blend in don't they? They did the same on Zufari!

It's quite an old effect really, (I swear the had a version with a huge floating tap at Towers many moons ago). But as said the whole of the blue support has a cascade of water pouring down it. This makes it look a bit like the rock is floating.

Simple but effective.

I think Toyland Tours might have had this effect in the bathroom scene?

Blackpool PB certainly have it on one or two of their rides and areas!

A video of the new Chima area has been posted to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjbx6ry38KY#ws

Erm... doesn't look as good as I'd thought it would. It looks incredibly cheap, bland and lifeless, if I'm honest. There's too much that's static and there are far too many blank walls, or walls with theming stickers on them. And that "floating" mountain was probably a really good idea on paper! :p

I quite like the splash battle ride, its a decent length and there does seem to be quite a lot of Lego models in it (unlike some Lego rides!), it probably moves more when you hit the targets, as the guy filming wasn't playing with the water guns.

For once it seems to be a splash battle in a warm country!

TPR have also covered the new area and attractions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDMLhirWh_g#ws

Though it's nothing fancy, their opening ceremony was still more than anything that we get. :'(

Edit: Orlando Theme Park News has some photos of the various attractions in this new 'World of Chima' area here.

I have to say, Cragger's Swamp looks utterly naff. It's a tiny area with a few water jets and some Lego models positioned randomly around the area so you don't forget where you are. Alton's old Ug Land area used to have this kind of thing but it had a giant tree house at the centre for the shows to take place in and around. It wasn't classes as a water play area / an attraction, just something extra to add a little more magic to the area.

Sounds/looks like the entire area was designed by market researchers and focus groups.

GCI have revealed new Coastersaurus trains at IAAPA. They put this photo on their Facebook:

1455922_10152059902374095_709117964_n.jpg

Introducing our new Mini-llennium Flyers, the gold standard in junior wooden coaster trains!

Check them out at Legoland Florida starting this Thursday!

Cute! :p

Also, Screamscape think the park will be announcing a new hotel (sigh)

Screamscape said:
Park News - (11/19/13) The OrlandoSentinel reports that Legoland Florida will make a new announcement about a new expansion project later this week. They believe that this will be an announcement about an official Legoland Hotel.

The new GCI trains are now on Coastersaurus. Here's TPR's Facebook post about them:

1467301_10152057164943566_331555405_n.jpg

In other Legoland Florida News, GCI's new Mini-llennium Flyer trains are on Coastersaurus. Unfortunately, they have also raised the rides height restriction from 36" to 42". That's very disappointing.

Shame about the height restriction going up. At least the new trains look good! :p

And here's a picture of the hotel the park will be building:

1476198_10151702127222035_1076703203_n.jpg

Source.

These Lego hotels look like glorified Travelodge's - just some multicoloured bricks stuck to the outside and a tower out front.

Not exactly inspired but undoubtedly makes Merlin a shedload of £££'s.

Baffles me that Merlin get away with such mediocrity in Florida.

It really is the company that believes in the spirit of doing the minimum required to get someone through the gate.

Draaaaaaaging this thread up from the dead.

Merlin appear to have plans for an expansion to Legoland Florida based on permits filed. Looks like it will contain a few new rides in the 4.5 acre area.

Thanks for sharing @AT86 - curious as to how you will get to that section from the rest of the park.

Exciting stuff! If I had to guess, I’d say that this looks like the park’s equivalent of Duplo Valley, if they don’t already have one (correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they do, do they?); using Windsor’s area as an example, the water play area looks very similar to the one in Windsor’s Duplo Valley and the roller coaster looks as though it will be something along the lines of Duplo Dino Coaster.

Thanks for sharing @AT86 - curious as to how you will get to that section from the rest of the park.
Actually that's a very good question. I've tried reading some of the text and it labels an area by the bus loop as entrance and exit portal.
It seems like this is not intended to be part of the current park. Which makes me wonder what this is actually going to be?

There is already a water park so it wouldn't be that. Not unless they want to relocate it, but why include a roller coaster?

At a guess it might not even be Lego related. Outside of the UK Merlin have the pepper pig IP. Could this be what the area is?

It will be linked to the existing Lego Movie World area by a “pedestrian crosswalk across Bus Loop Drive. It will be built on part of the parking lot.
I can see the pedestrian cross walk on the plans but it's nowhere near the Lego Movie World. The staff complex is inbetween.

If this is how it's intended to be accessed it sounds dangerous, having a bus loop inside the park boundaries. I cant think of any other park that has an accessible public road cutting through it. Especially not a park aimed at children.