• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Turn Away Cancer Patient

Novas

TS Member
http://thegist.com/news/1110/legoland-turns-away-63-year-old-sickly-man-because-he-doesn-t-know-any-children-who-love-him-enough-to-go-with-him

Link says it all. I'm not familar with this website, so it could just be exaggerated / tabloid rubbish, but if true it's just one more example of Merlins anal rule book...

EDIT: I didn't notice that Jem had also posted this story in the SB last night from a different website. This appeared on my FB wall from a non-enthusiast so it would appear to be true and another PR cock up.

According to the article the rule of an adult having a child with them is 'buried' on the website. I went on the website and it's actually quite easy to find that rule.

Unless they mean it wasn't in capitals in a yellow font plastered on the front page of the website?

I'm sorry, but if this man didn't have an illness no one would batter an eyelid at this.

It's a very American rule actually (New York's one also has this, which I discovered and queried about to be given that usual "this is the rule" blurb), yet I've visited the Manchester one a few times now...

One of those "one size fits all" rules in one of the most paranoid countries in the world when it comes to adults in kid based attractions... Would hope that the Manchester site realises that having such a rule would not be that beneficial considering their location...

There was a similar story about an enthusiast at Adventure Island in Southend.
He was approached by staff and asked to cease and desist with his photography (of the rides I hasten to add) because he was a lone male and therefore a risk to children.

This didn't make the news, however, he just talked about it on his blog. Unfortunately I can't remember which blog it was though.

Laura said:
There was a similar story about an enthusiast at Adventure Island in Southend.
He was approached by staff and asked to cease and desist with his photography (of the rides I hasten to add) because he was a lone male and therefore a risk to children.

This didn't make the news, however, he just talked about it on his blog. Unfortunately I can't remember which blog it was though.
http://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/2010/adventure-island/ ;)

Back onto the article in question does anyone else get peeved off with the way it's written? I mean I agree with the overall point that denying lone adults for no good reason is wrong but the way they keep ramming the cancer point in just makes me lose sympathy.

The article is rammed with hyperbole in a style that almost satirises itself. It seems just to be stirring a silly argument really.

If the man did not have illness, nobody would care and it wouldn't make the news.

If anyone would like to know what the AFOL community has to say about this, click here. Seems to be a pretty even mix of "this is disgusting discrimination", and "speaking as a parent, this is a good thing because I believe that all men without children are child molestors."