Legoland Windsor

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Jabberwocky, 12th Jun 2012.

1. TedTheHuman

TedTheHuman TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    Christ, this makes Nemesis Inferno's tin shed hiding look great in comparison!

2. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    With it being such a popular park to visit.....you'd think they'd spend more money on the upkeep and new rides than they currently do at the other parks, wouldn't you?

I'm sure it will be great attraction but it does look a bit tacky from that angle for sure.

Funcone likes this.
  3. siralgenon

siralgenon TowersStreet Member

Well I've just seen a photo of the Haunted House on Facebook, (it won't let me share the photo) and it's safe to say it looks bloody awful. I know it wasn't meant to be hidden very well, but there's a difference between not being hidden well and not being hidden at all.

From what I've gathered, one side is hidden partly by trees but the other is completely open, which happens to be the side with the queue line on. Now surely they could have atleast stretched the facade to cover that side. There's not even any trees or anything to hide it at all.

Moving on to the queue line it just looks identical to Saw's. I was expecting a little bit more, especially from Legoland, even Ninjago was done better than this and that was done cheaply.

4. Danny

Danny Contribute Author

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    [​IMG]

Second only to Disney everyone. What's a Phantom Manor again?

Funcone, TedTheHuman and DiogoJ42 like this.
  5. Islander

Islander TowersStreet Member

I mean. The front looks great... :D

6. siralgenon

The front is fine, but that queue and side view is awful.

TakeYourMedicine likes this.
  7. Danny

Danny Contribute Author

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    It looks alright.... ;)

Missed a trick by not theming the shed to a box that a set comes in. Could have vinyl'd the crap out of it and it would have made sense!

Poopoohead, Rick and DiogoJ42 like this.
  8. siralgenon

That's a really good idea actually! Would be dead cheap and be really effective!

9. Danny

Danny Contribute Author

Favourite Ride:
    Helix
    I had a consideration on second thoughts that might look hideous, but even a poor mock up makes a substantial world of difference:

[​IMG]

Where the building meets the shed could have been themed to the flaps of the box being open.

Funcone, altongeek and DiogoJ42 like this.
  10. Coaster

Coaster TowersStreet Member

I'm sorry, but the more I see of this the more utterly terrible it looks.

It's sad to think that Legoland were capable of producing attractions like The Dragon before Merlin took over, an incredibly well themed ride and area where no corners were cut.

As well as looking poor, this completely destroys the illusion a Mad House ride is supposed to create.

The park would be better off with nothing new rather than this monstrosity completely destroying the look and feel of the park. Embarrassing.

11. TakeYourMedicine

TakeYourMedicine TowersStreet Member

Wow, makes the Towers Dungeon exterior look like a work of art

Stuie, DiogoJ42 and Funcone like this.
  12. MakoMania

MakoMania TowersStreet Member

What the hell even is this!? An absolute joke! I have never seen a dark ride be so hideously presented in any park anywhere in the world, ever.

Even painting the shed at the back to match the building would have at least been something, even if it wouldn't have been ideal.

Poopoohead and DiogoJ42 like this.
  13. Tim

Tim TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Air / Blue Fire
    Just a note about the queue. I've seen the plans and unless they've been busy with that red marker it is going to be more than just a cattle-pen.

I have nothing to add about the show building. It would have cost practicly nothing to make it look like the facade. A proper job would have been to at least to sink the show building to the same height.

Poopoohead and DiogoJ42 like this.
  14. Error

Error TowersStreet Member

And what year was the Haunted House built at AT? 92?

15. Funcone

Funcone TowersStreet Member

A few pages back I said that I could understand them not burying the haunted swing in a pit, but you'd think they'd have a ramp rather than stairs and a lift. Having seen those photos I take that back. Obviously I do still 'understand' that it's about saving money, but how does that look acceptable for the UK's most visited theme park? It's what you expect to see at somewhere like Crealy or Twinlakes. It's like Alton Towers, Thorpe Park and Legoland are having a contest to see who can irritate their fans the most.

16. djtruefitt

djtruefitt TS Site Team Team Member

It’s safe to say it looks just as awful as I imagined.

And it is simply Merlin being greedy by cutting costs massively! They re actually a joke in the theme park industry, does Nick Varney really think it looks great?

There is NO other reason why they would shove this in the middle of the park and not theme it, any DECENT theme park operator would either place the ride at the edge of the park. Pretty sure Legoland must have some land on the outskirts they could have put this (move the Disco ride). Or they would actually pay the extra money and theme all the way round.

I men’s they’ve even cut costs by not digging in the ground, which makes this show building look even worse! They could have at least made the frontage bigger than the show building behind it.

Anyway gone are the days when Merlin bothered to theme things at Legoland, just look at the warehouse they built the other year, or the rapids on the hillside.

I do look forward to riding this and see what the inside looks like, just a shame moneys been cut left right and centre like all Merlin projects on this. I do wonder how the theming and ride will compare to other madhouses.

Meanwhile here’s a few other madhouses in the world..
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TedTheHuman, Rob, MattyH and 5 others like this.
  17. MattyH

MattyH TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    The Alton Towers Monorail
    On the subject of the Rapids on the hillside, they've now been painted blue.

18. Benzin

Benzin TowersStreet Member

What's quite weird is that the variant at Billund is also located in the middle of the park but is/was covered by the surrounding area themeing (the queue was however awful flat cattlepens)...

They CAN do it, they just won't...

TakeYourMedicine and Tim like this.
  19. AT86

AT86 TowersStreet Member

I would take a guess that in Billind Merlin don’t also own two other parks just down the road. They have so little competition in the UK there is little incentive to improve.

20. Benjsh

Benjsh TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    The truth of the matter is the vast majority of guests won't care about the show building at the back being a bit ugly will they? Another reason why Merlin can get away with this kind of stuff.

Poopoohead and ringo like this.