• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

The plans for this have been around for a while I think. They are basically demolishing what's left of Rat Trap and the Enchanted Forest, then replacing it with a less elaborate version.

Bringing us back into the here and now Legoland is currently open for the first Christmas offering the park has hosted since 2002. The event includes 8 attractions (Atlantis, Orient Expedition, Laser Raiders, Scarab Bouncers, Thunder Blazer, Desert Chase, Areo Nomad and Star Wars Miniland) as well as a Father Christmas meet and greet (gift included).

Access to the park is only via the Hill Train (now know as the Brickmas Express) and only to pre-booked ticket holders.

The event started last weekend with a few teething problems but has been receiving overwhelmingly positive reviews since.

I visited after work today to get a few pictures of the pwety lights :D
(apologies my camera is not the best for taking night photos)

LegoFromAbove.JPG

Taken from Star Wars Miniland, looking down on the park and across London

LegoPath.JPG

Arrival at the Christmas Village

LegoGrotto.JPG

Father Christmas's Grotto

Now some of you might remember the Lego glasses I mentioned earlier in the year which turned fireworks into Lego bricks. Well they work on Christmas lights too! This was really difficult to get a picture of but...

LegoBricks.JPG

Seems interesting, certainly looks pretty.

On a different note saw the trailer for the Lego Movie, is there any indication that the Lego parks are going to milk this. Seems a ready made IP.

Today was quiet (most people had gone when I took these pictures) but in the areas that still had people the place had a nice atmosphere.

Dave said:
On a different note saw the trailer for the Lego Movie, is there any indication that the Lego parks are going to milk this. Seems a ready made IP.
The hotel did have a stand for the movie a few weeks back (one of those where you can put your head in and pretend you are in the scene), but I believe it was replaced by the Christmas decorations. No doubt they will do something nearer the time though.

I have fond memories of visiting Legoland at Christmas as a child. I remember the grotto being in the circus tent (now queue line for laser raiders) and also a Christmas show in what is now the 4D cinema, however then it was just a tent, and it had a snow machine (as a child this was a big highlight!).

And now we are in 2013, and they have brought the Christmas event back, however I imagine on a much smaller scale than say 20 years ago!). Hopefully it will improve and so will the other Merlin parks winter events.

I really don't know why its pre-booked only (or in towers case, hotel guests), they should sell tickets on the day!

I think the old event only ran for a few seasons between the late 90s and early 2000s. I remember visiting once and they'd dressed up what is now the Orient as the Snowball Express (12 days of Christmas). Besides that and what you mentioned I think it was operation as normal.

This is kind of different because it is about the Christmas experience. Each guest is there to see Father Christmas. The pre-book only system exists because the parks capacity is capped by the number of guests that can get through the Grotto per day. Ahough I agree that being able to buy a reduced ticket on the day that doesn't involve seeing Father Christmas could work.

They've been getting a good 1500 or so people on some dates, so the event is certainly popular enough to be prebooked only.

I imagine that the vast majority (if not all) the children would want to see father christmas, so it makes it logical to have it prebooked and allowing all children to see him, rather than a reduced ticket which doesn't involve him.

Plus, this event looks amazing, particularly when compared to chessingtons event paid for out of spare change. Would never believe these parks have the same owner sometimes.

I believe that on some of the quieter days, they are now selling tickets in the door, at something like £10 for children, and £15 for adults, but they don't include the Santa meet and greets.

Screamscape said:
2014 - Pirate Shores - (1/10/14) According to ThemeParks-UK, Legoland Windsor’s plans to improve their Pirate theme area will include a name change from Pirates Landings to Pirate Shores, a new pirate climb and play area called Castaway Camp, a new “quest” on the Pirate Falls log flume and more.

Refurb and plussing for Pirate Falls, sounds alright. :)

LEGOLAND Windsor Resort

I've recently joined Towers Street forums and I hope to bring a bit of LEGOLAND Windsor discussion to join the rest of the theme parks from Europe.

To get things started, it seems that pirates will be the theme for 2014, with the new play area being the source of the theme. They are also going with a shore theme for the land and the new play area, called Castaway Camp.

More interestingly, Pirate Falls is getting another retheme. It has only been a few years since the Dynamite Drench addition, but they adding a new plot to the ride as well. As it stands, it doesn't look like there will be any changes to the ride itself.

A little disappointing that there isn't more spend this year, but considering the consistency of spending over the last few years compared to other parks, I can't moan too much!

Alastair said:
Merged with the existing topic :)

Whoops! That's a great start to posting to completely miss an existing topic. Not quite sure how I managed to do that as I search the page for one and nothing came up.

Having analysed the calendar for 2014 and compared to 2013, it seems that there have been a few cuts this year. Around Easter has been affected, with 2 more closure days and a week less at 6pm closing times.

Other than a few other changes, the other big change is a week less at 7pm over the summer holidays.

It does seem a bit of a backwards step reducing the hours on major weeks. I was hoping that with the hotel, later hours would be introduced rather than reducing the hours.

I expected this is covered elsewhere, but Merlin are doing offers on their annual passes for the rest of the month. The benefits for the new VIP pass are going to have to be rather good to justify the huge cost - will be interesting to see the list.

Also, LEGOLAND are offering 2013 rates at the moment. Judging by last year, pricing went up at the start of February, so if you know when you are going, best to buy now - especially if some of the hinted pricing changes come into effect.

Adam LLWF said:
The benefits for the new VIP pass are going to have to be rather good to justify the huge cost - will be interesting to see the list.

If the VIP pass really does include unlimited FastTrack then this easily justifies the price, given that Ultimate Fasttrack is usually £70-£80 per visit for most of the Theme Parks, you only need 5 visits to get your monies worth. But if the other people you are visiting with don't have the same pass/fastrack then its a bit worthless!

If anyone is planning a set visit, it might be worth buying now, as I expect 2014 pricing to arrive on 1st.

It may be especially beneficial if you are planning to visit in peak season, as peak pricing is being rumoured to help with the traffic problems and to satisfy planners for the latest approval. I am not sure if this will see a price increase but perhaps a lesser discount when buying online for this period. They have said that only 5% are on the day tickets, which has helped them monitor sales, so any on the day ticket price increases may not really help.

Good news is they are planning wifi too, which is supposed to help with accessing social media for traffic updates but will be good for all, and improvements to the local network to ease traffic. Rather a lot of changes are proposed - rerouting buses, new routes, traffic lights to ease traffic coming off the access road, park and rides from local hotels and extra staff/signage/social media.

Hopefully, this year's prices won't be too bad!

No new pricing as yet, but The Burger Kitchen is coming!

As this is a Alton Towers forum, the name will already be familiar. It's replacing Crossed Ribs, which closed on October for refurbishment, with all of the covered seating dismantled. As it isn't replacing a chain like with Burger King at Alton Towers, the refurbishments seem to have provided an opportunity to introduce the brand and strengthen it across Merlin.