• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

Am I right in thinking this refurbed Duplo area is replacing the mini golf?
If so, it seems a bit confusing given Legoland are trying to establish itself as a 'resort' at the moment.. :S

Yes it is but the mini golf was never a resort attraction anyway as although it was a pay extra attraction it could only be accessed when the park was open.

Plus If I remember correctly it was a very last minute addition when it was added (around the time that Merlin took over) and was never intended to be a permanent thing like Alton's park themed golf.

To add, that golf was run by an external company which just ended up not caring whatsoever for the attraction. Presume it made bugger all money. Lego got annoyed and removed it, which is all good.

I never really went near the golf, was it Lego themed or just generic golf?

They could move it nearer the hotel and do what Alton do and run it during the closed season and after park close. But if it was an external company, they might have owned the equipment as well?

It was a relatively lego themed "mole in one". Lego moles.

It was quite sparse really. Wasn't very good. Doubt there'd be any sort of space near the hotel for an attraction such as golf, even though it does need more stuff to do in the evenings.

I wouldn't even say it was sparsely themed to be honest - there were a number of Lego woodland creatures (don't think there even were any moles tbh, but lots of deer, rabbits, badgers etc), and that's about it.

No idea who owned the equipment, but it wasn't in good nick, so no loss at all. As for the models, they're soon to be redistributed across the park.

I didnt actually "play" in the new Duplo Valley splash and play area today but it did look very good. The new area is a lot better for the kids and despite it not being very warm for most of today, there were alot of kids enjoying the area whenever i passed! Looks impressive, and seems to fit its purpose in my opinion. Will hopefully have a better look at the area tommorow

Here's a great POV of the rejuvenated Fairy Tale Brook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulh82q8BTxk#ws

Obviously my opinion is somewhat* biased, but I honestly think it's a massive improvement on the original. I personally love the new soundtrack, and the new sound/speech effects are great. The whole ride also feels a lot more pacey to me as well, with great flow from one scene to the next.

* - about as biased as the Pope commenting on the Catholic Church...

Islander said:
Here's a great POV of the rejuvenated Fairy Tale Brook:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulh82q8BTxk#ws

Obviously my opinion is somewhat* biased, but I honestly think it's a massive improvement on the original. I personally love the new soundtrack, and the new sound/speech effects are great. The whole ride also feels a lot more pacey to me as well, with great flow from one scene to the next.

* - about as biased as the Pope commenting on the Catholic Church...

Looking good! I went to legoland last year and was sad by how rundown this ride was starting to look. I adored this ride when I was a kid so I'm happy it's had a revamp!

When you said new music, I was thinking how they changed Dragon's for the worse. However, that suits the ride so so well, wonderfully calming.

Whole ride looks far better overall. Shame they got rid of the poor scared goat though!

Now if only that ride went indoors with real 360 sets, a better sound system and some effects, it could be one of the finest dark rides in the Merlin chain.

About that goat, apparently the noise it made was really, really annoying the operators. Spoke to a few of them from previous years and they all said the same thing. So that's probably why it hasn't returned.

I've got to say I love the new music. At first I thought it would get really annoying really quickly but it honestly doesn't.

As for the changes with the models there are bits I like and bits I miss. There used to be more of a long running theme through the ride were red riding hood appeared in each scene which is sadly gone, on the other hand it's been replaced by a larger variety of fairy tales. The troll bridge I also miss but I think I know why (plus that was where the goat was) and I can't argue with the reasoning. Then there are little details like the missing road signs and the prince on the phone's new position making the phone really stand out whereas before it was a surprise reveal as you could only see it once going past him.

Overall though it looks really good*. Can't wait to actually ride it.

* Although like Islander I can't exactly claim to be un-biased

thefatone said:
When you said new music, I was thinking how they changed Dragon's for the worse. However, that suits the ride so so well, wonderfully calming.
Interestingly I believe the new music is composed by Lewis Cox, who did the new Dragon track. I was definitely worried when I learnt that, but where he failed at the Dragon, he's certainly succeeded here (and to be fair he's succeeded elsewhere as well - the Swarm's area music is his).

To be fair the new Dragon soundtrack isn't bad it's just nowhere near as iconic as the original. When I was last on the dragon I couldn't help but think nostalgia was stopping me from enjoying it.

From Charlie's video, I honestly have to say that Fairy Tale Brook, being one of the only attractions at Lego I'll happily do without fret, is looking better than I remember it! Yes there are some certain scenes that have been removed but I like the music and the new look altogether. I hope that it's really taken care of for the future because the children (and us) always seem to love it.

Tim said:
About that goat, apparently the noise it made was really, really annoying the operators. Spoke to a few of them from previous years and they all said the same thing. So that's probably why it hasn't returned.
Oh yes, it used to wind me up hearing it whilst working on Fire Academy. Doesn't stop me missing it (or wishing new operators to suffer the same! ;))

thefatone said:
Tim said:
Oh yes, it used to wind me up hearing it whilst working on Fire Academy. Doesn't stop me missing it (or wishing new operators to suffer the same! ;))
*Evil Stare*

I've also just realised they've got rid of the troll and flower that used to squirt guests with water. Shock horror a Legoland ride that no longer try's to get you wet :p

In part that's down to more recent legislation regarding such systems and the risks of legionella. It's certainly why the mist has gone in the cave. Removing these systems also has the added benefit that, what with Windsor being in an incredibly hard-water area, constant squirting water just leaves everything covered in a near-impossible to remove limescale build up. There are plenty of example of this on models and even entire rides (no prizes for guessing which one...) across the park.

But, yes, less water can't be a bad thing.

I visited today and have a question, why is there no signs about queue jumping? The only reason I say his is because Inactually had an instance of a women and two kids push past everyone on the excuse of "we were in the queue and they needed the toilet" her husband was indeed on his own further down the lie but that's beside the point.

When I challenged the women she was rude asking why the hell my problem was! After this we got to a point where they were oposite us at a queue line turn around only for him to start abusing me. He stoos there mouthing off and my reply was "it's done with, if you feel you gave an issue then you must think you need to defend yourself, one please leave it alone" at this point he told me to f*** off, and several parents then told him to belt up.

The funniest bit of this was when my daughter asked "Why's that man being so nasty and why did he use a naughty word" (she's only five) at which point he apologised. But I really don't think he saw the "saving a place" as a problem