• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

t's not "cruel" it just means that there's less distance to travel in the event of an evacuation.

Then why isn't applied on newer rides like those i mentioned and the one being discussed? It presumably only exists in that manner on Vampire because the RAP queue was a later addition that happens to be placed at the rear of the ride and they have no ability/interest in facilitating it rather than a thoughtful evacuation measure to save a few meters.

You're also assuming all RAP users are physically disabled which obviously isn't the case.

RAP was created for wheelchair users. On older rides, access routes and policies were designed with this in mind and it's not always practical to go back and make changes to reflect the fact that RAP eligibility has massively changed.

RAP was created for wheelchair users. On older rides, access routes and policies were designed with this in mind and it's not always practical to go back and make changes to reflect the fact that RAP eligibility has massively changed.

Before Vampire started using the old fire exit (no idea when, but certainly wasn't the case when I worked there) wheelchair users couldn't get directly to the ride without going up the exit on foot. Good old 90s design, and even now still need to go down steps to get there.

Then why isn't applied on newer rides like those i mentioned and the one being discussed? It presumably only exists in that manner on Vampire because the RAP queue was a later addition that happens to be placed at the rear of the ride and they have no ability/interest in facilitating it rather than a thoughtful evacuation measure to save a few meters.

You're also assuming all RAP users are physically disabled which obviously isn't the case.

Always been put on the back two rows of Wickerman, though only have experience through wheelchair user. The position of Vampire's queue has nothing to do with the decision for the back rows being used as this has been the case since 2007 at least (source; I worked on it). I presume Mandrill's strange system (I.e. they don't care where RAP users go) is down to that it's not got a traditional lift hill and any potential evac positions are low to the ground where this is not a high level consideration to them.

Reducing the amount of distance travelled AND having a consistent position for disabled visitors is essential to ensure evacuation situations occur sensibly. Without seeing the Wickerman COSWP I cannot say for certain if it looks at the wristband type for RAP users to determine if this is a general situation or not.

Though I'm sure some on here find it "cruel" they can never get back row on Nemesis due to RAP users.

Before Vampire started using the old fire exit (no idea when, but certainly wasn't the case when I worked there) wheelchair users couldn't get directly to the ride without going up the exit on foot. Good old 90s design, and even now still need to go down steps to get there.

Always been put on the back two rows of Wickerman, though only have experience through wheelchair user. The position of Vampire's queue has nothing to do with the decision for the back rows being used as this has been the case since 2007 at least (source; I worked on it). I presume Mandrill's strange system (I.e. they don't care where RAP users go) is down to that it's not got a traditional lift hill and any potential evac positions are low to the ground where this is not a high level consideration to them.

Reducing the amount of distance travelled AND having a consistent position for disabled visitors is essential to ensure evacuation situations occur sensibly. Without seeing the Wickerman COSWP I cannot say for certain if it looks at the wristband type for RAP users to determine if this is a general situation or not.

Though I'm sure some on here find it "cruel" they can never get back row on Nemesis due to RAP users.
Wheelchair users are always given the back row on WM, ambulant RAP can sit in any row.

That's true. Certainly seems like the majority of rides at Merlin parks try to make it a fair experience for everyone which is great.

Well that was my point, an optimal system is where everyone gets an equal opportunity. I'm not sure if i'm somehow misinterpreting you as being facetious, you're certainly coming across like one by mocking the concerns of RAP users. Anyway, i'll say no more as we're deviating from the thread subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well that was my point, an optimal system is where everyone gets an equal opportunity. I'm not sure if i'm somehow misinterpreting you as being facetious, you're certainly coming across like one by mocking the concerns of RAP users. Anyway, i'll say no more as we're deviating from the thread subject.

Mocking the concerns of RAP users even though the wife is one? That is a new one.

If pointing out the reasonings behind why most rides at Merlin (and many other operators) put RAP users in the back rows is being a dick then that's one hell of a world.

You were the one who called it cruel that selection is minimal. There's fair reasoning behind it in order to ensure operations run smoothly (even if RAP is an absolute mess at times due to the parks not following their own rules), if anything the cruelty comes from the excessive queues and allowance of abuse from many people. If they're more confident on newer rides for varied seating positions then that's good, but only works if the system is put in place from day 1.

If Lego put all Fastrack and RAP users on one side of the creds alone then it's technically unfair on everyone, because it limits which one people can go on. I also find it unfair that Efteling only have RAP users on one side of Joris, though the normal queue can still access both sides. Guess we'll see when it opens what they end up doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few reminders:

• We have a dedicated RAP discussion topic rather than using each park's topics. These centres discussion in one place
  • Whilst I appreciate it's an emotive topic, might I remind everyone of our Member Expectations:

Respect other members​

Please treat others how you wish to be treated. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and although things can get heated, avoid getting into direct arguments with others and ensure you contribute in a mature and sensible manner. If your behaviour is brought to the team’s attention, we might need to contact you to discuss further and/or edit or remove the problem posts. Repeat offenders may risk changes being made to their posting rights – and we wouldn’t want to do that!
I'm sure everyone is more than capable of debating sensibly without resorting to the personal insults I've had to remove.

To add to what Craig has said, this is a mute point as the RAP situation is pure speculation, not supported by the actual plans.

As someone that used to be a ride operator at this park, and on the very ride this is replacing, I know first hand that many guests would run around again wanting to ride on the other side. And we nearly always accommodated for it, normally just by asking them to wait an extra turn then loading them first in the next group.
Unless things have changed drastically since my time there is no rule on reserving seats for certain groups. It's actually a goal of the LEGOLAND parks to be as inclusive as possible, so only a few rides have specific seats for people with mobility issues, and only when no alternative is available (the Submarine ride for example).

Sure, I will admit that it is easier for a loader to just send all the RAP and Qbot users to one train and the regular line to the other. But I'd be shocked if they actually put a policy in place requiring them to do it, when there's no need and the park will be fully aware that people will want to ride both sides.

Sure, I will admit that it is easier for a loader to just send all the RAP and Qbot users to one train and the regular line to the other. But I'd be shocked if they actually put a policy in place requiring them to do it, when there's no need and the park will be fully aware that people will want to ride both sides.
Ahd if that was the case both lines wouldn't merge before the two stations, they'd go straight down to one station each. Think it's safe to say that any guest will be able to experience either side.

Ahd if that was the case both lines wouldn't merge before the two stations, they'd go straight down to one station each. Think it's safe to say that any guest will be able to experience either side.

I think it could still come down to ops on the day, if there is a steady QBot line they the easiest option is to just send that whole queue to one station and the whole standby to the other. If you ask then maybe they will direct you to the other side but I would expect a lot of the time the staff will take the easiest option of saying "keep going straight ahead" to everyone.

I'm sure everyone is more than capable of debating sensibly without resorting to the personal insults I've had to remove.

Apologies to all concerned for lowering the tone. Will attempt to redeem myself by getting some construction update photos on our visit in a few weeks. Hopefully most of the track will be up by that point!

I think it could still come down to ops on the day, if there is a steady QBot line they the easiest option is to just send that whole queue to one station and the whole standby to the other. If you ask then maybe they will direct you to the other side but I would expect a lot of the time the staff will take the easiest option of saying "keep going straight ahead" to everyone.
But what is the issue with asking?
I know it doesn't usually feel like the 'done thing' but If you think about it the batcher for this ride is likley only going to be batching people in-between cycles. It's not like Nemesis; where when one train leaves another enters. There will be pauses when they aren't loading people.
This gives them plenty of time to talk to the people at the front of the queue. They'll likley be doing so anyway to check height restrictions. It's also nice to talk to people while doing that job, makes the day go a bit quicker.

But what is the issue with asking?
I know it doesn't usually feel like the 'done thing' but If you think about it the batcher for this ride is likley only going to be batching people in-between cycles. It's not like Nemesis; where when one train leaves another enters. There will be pauses when they aren't loading people.
This gives them plenty of time to talk to the people at the front of the queue. They'll likley be doing so anyway to check height restrictions. It's also nice to talk to people while doing that job, makes the day go a bit quicker.
I didn't say there was an issue with asking, in fact I suggested that you may need to ask.
All I was saying is that on a busy day with a lot of QBot users it possible staff may take the easy route of just telling everyone to keep going straight ahead rather than switching between sides. Batching may not even happen at merge, just a blind go straight on and then batching to rows will be once at platform height.

Went to Legoland’s Christmas event yesterday.

Although generally aimed at young families, it’s probably the UK’s best park winter event besides WW. Which probably isn’t saying a lot really (much better than Chessie’s though).

Majority of rides available besides water rides, sky ride and some smaller ones. Lots of Christmas trees, lights and decoration. Some made of real Lego.

Some additional shows and activities, there was fun upbeat Santa parade/show as well as other workshop activities for kids. There was a grotto as well. F&B left something to be desire, so I bought my own lunch.

Lots of construction updates, Mini-figure Speedway track is flying up on both coasters now and their Lego Enchanted village is coming along too. Car park a bit messy, but likely temporary. There is no changes to the derelict River Splash ride.

Though it’s no Phantasia Winteraum, it’s probably worth a visit if you want a festive park visit.

It appears Legoland are closing Deep Sea Adventure during the 2024 season. With that and the permanent closure of the rapids they are heading into the new season with a fair chunk of capacity down.

That's a shame. Rapids were closed for 99% of 2023 so can't say they contributed much to capacity anyway but Deep Sea is one of the major attractions.

Are there estimates for the throughput on the new rollercoaster yet and if so how does that compare to Deep Sea?

this is a strange and perhaps concerning development on this one.

Atlantis had a substantial refurbishment for the 2020 season, which involved partial rebuilt and work to the exterior of the building.

The thing I would like to know is what has happened and why is the ride needing more substantial work not even four years later, let alone a whole season closed? It does make you wonder if the whole building is suffering from a major structural problem or the ride system just needs a major refresh.

Feels a major blow for the park all things considered as that’s two substantial attractions down for the 24 season. Even if they opening new high’ish capacity coasters and one of those shuttered rides spent much of its time closed.