• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Legoland Windsor

Islander said:
jon81uk said:
...ts not a huge site.
Huh? It's the second largest site in the UK! Also, it has tonnes of undeveloped land...

How big is the enchanted forest area? or is that being rethemed as part of the pirate land?

Johno said:
Benzin said:
There are a few videos of Ghost dotted around on the internet...

It looks like the ride portion bounces, akin to Mystery Castle... And it in general looks quite good...

Certainly a good enough addition to Legoland it must be said... Now they just need to bring in a better version of Polar X-Plorer...

Link? I've been struggling...

The whole Legoland, add something at one park and port to the others thing seems to at least be producing relatively decent additions?

http://youtu.be/1pVr_UjcvzU

The land under Miniland has potential, but is a bit awkward and would have to be the right ride to fit with Miniland. There were some other locations too that they have got permission for before, but other developments have wiped these out.

There are a number of spaces for smaller rides left and some space on the edges that could become accessible too. Other than that, they aren't afraid of removing old rides such as DUPLO Land. I am sure they will be fine for many years to come.

Islander said:
jon81uk said:
...ts not a huge site.
Huh? It's the second largest site in the UK! Also, it has tonnes of undeveloped land...

Take a look on google maps at the aerial photos. It's quite locked in and they can't get too close to residential areas. There is space they can use but coasters are gonna be harder to fit

jon81uk said:
Islander said:
jon81uk said:
...ts not a huge site.

Take a look on google maps at the aerial photos. It's quite locked in and they can't get too close to residential areas. There is space they can use but coasters are gonna be harder to fit
Lol, trust me, I'm one person that really doesn't need to look on Google maps, and a fair whack of TST would back me up on that ;).

The park is not particularly locked in - certainly nothing like, say, Chessington or Thorpe. There are residential areas to the north of the park, though a lot of land exists between the current perimeter of the inner park and these residences. The west is admittedly locked by the perimeter road. There is a lot of undeveloped land owned by the park to the south of the site (outside the inner park, but within the perimeter), and to the west there's the (admittedly weak) potential to acquire more land - that's definitely the least likely.

The park can definitely expand in size, and no doubt will do at some point in the future.

This of course ignores the plethora of spaces already in the inner park that have the potential to be developed - there are many more than people realise, mainly because the park's current layout is very deceptive. Take this haunted house development - I'd wager that few people would've earmarked the chosen site as a possible spot for a new development.

Islander said:
jon81uk said:
Islander said:
jon81uk said:
...ts not a huge site.

Lol, trust me, I'm one person that really doesn't need to look on Google maps, and a fair whack of TST would back me up on that ;).

The park is not particularly locked in - certainly nothing like, say, Chessington or Thorpe. There are residential areas to the north of the park, though a lot of land exists between the current perimeter of the inner park and these residences. The west is admittedly locked by the perimeter road. There is a lot of undeveloped land owned by the park to the south of the site (outside the inner park, but within the perimeter), and to the west there's the (admittedly weak) potential to acquire more land - that's definitely the least likely.

The park can definitely expand in size, and no doubt will do at some point in the future.

Is the land you mention between the dragon and the beginning the opposite side of cheetah hill?

In 2010 their was a plan for a new coaster in a 5 year medium term plan the park created. If I remember correctly it would have gone in the area where the fire engine attraction is now and the surrounding area. A couple of ideas where thrown about inc a vekoma family inverted coaster and a family launched coaster. We will prob see a new coaster at some point, but the park are prob waiting until they have all there traffic prob's solved before trying to get permission for a new coaster an indoor attraction like Ghost will be much easier for the park to get permission to build.

As much as I still believe Legoland needs a new coaster this addition actually fills a far more important gap the park lacks, indoor rides. Almost everything at Legoland is based outside, with only a handful (of mostly newer) attractions suitable for rainy conditions.

I suspect the logic behind developments like this, Atlantis and Laser Raiders is the more they offer for rainy days the fewer people will be put off by the weather and so visit on the off-peak days and not in the sold out summer days. If this theory works those traffic problems mentioned above become less of a problem and guests have a better day even if they don't ride the new attraction.

Tim said:
As much as I still believe Legoland needs a new coaster this addition actually fills a far more important gap the park lacks, indoor rides. Almost everything at Legoland is based outside, with only a handful (of mostly newer) attractions suitable for rainy conditions.

I suspect the logic behind developments like this, Atlantis and Laser Raiders is the more they offer for rainy days the fewer people will be put off by the weather and so visit on the off-peak days and not in the sold out summer days. If this theory works those traffic problems mentioned above become less of a problem and guests have a better day even if they don't ride the new attraction.

With the hotel as well, they will be keen to get the park open as long as possible. If they can get a better number of all weather rides, they may even open at weekends during the winter. They opened at Christmas for the first time in many years, so there must be a desire to a certain degree to open more.

They need to make the queues indoors as well. It's not nice standing out in the rain! At least Laiser Raiders is entirely indoors and Atlantic can take some queue indoors.

There is also the Star Wars mini land which is indoors too so yes I think the park is thinking about going to year round operations given how much is now inside. But they also have a lot of water based stuff like Duplo valley which is only suitable for very hot days

Yes well Duplo Valley should have been a separate indoor waterpark (aka. Lego's own Caribbean Creek) but don't get me started on that.

If you look closely on the plans this will have a partially covered queue, even the cattlpen section has a cover :)

What I cant understand about this planning application is how the front building seems to be really nicely themed, but the second one, which houses the tower ride, is going to be covered in metal sheets and cheap themeing "go away" theming...

PeteA said:
What I cant understand about this planning application is how the front building seems to be really nicely themed, but the second one, which houses the tower ride, is going to be covered in metal sheets and cheap themeing "go away" theming...

On the version of this ride at Billund the rear part of the building is hidden from guests by other attractions and fencing (similar to Duel at AT). As this is going in the middle of a railway at Windsor they need to do something with the back of the building and I assume extending the haunted house facade would be costly or not easy.

The Monster Fighters haunted house set is one of my favourite kits, even though the Billund version doesn't look exactly the same, I'm still excited to see it at Windsor!

See with the bit at the back I think it's a design choice and not because themeing the whole ride would be too costly. If you look at Billunds it is themed the whole way around as far as I can tell.

But for whatever reason with this version they've decided that the back should look like the mad scientists laboratory has been build from the house rather than part of it. And I think it could look good... if executed properly, aka. Not just a massive shipping container with a few air vents like Sub-Terra.

Tim, if you don't mind me asking, was the Duplo water attraction meant to be indoors rather than outside and free with park admission?

Simple answer is I'm really not sure, I'm just speculating. I've heard several different rumours behind the attractions development, most seem to suggest the original idea was for a separate year round attraction to compliment the rest of the resort (which I assumed to be a proper Waterpark). Then depending who you ask it sounds like there were many tweaks made to the design and somehow the end result was Duplo Valley.

The above would make sense given that the end result is an attraction that's dead most the year but completely rammed during summer, not an appealing investment opportunity had that been what they were originally investing in.

Having had a look, I am hugely surprised there haven't been any public comments on the application. Either the locals don't know about it or the traffic trials really have pleased them all.

It seems that the Burger Kitchen has already been rebranded. It is now Pirates Burger Kitchen, with pirate theming added throughout. The clean look was good, but at least this brings it into the area's theme better.