• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lightwater Valley

Nathan

TS Member
Well, if Sam hasn't already taken the honourable duty, then I guess I will!

Here's the thread to discuss TTF's TST's favourite theme park in Yorkshire.

For those that missed it during last night's events.

Valley Mania said:
Buyer of former Lightwater Valley swinging ship, The Wave, confirmed as travelling showman, Alex Crow.

I did spot that and was going to comment but got swept up in the events of last night.

I'm quite surprised by the news as I had assumed it would go to another park rather than travel. Pirate ships seem fairly rare on the fair circuit, which seems odd as I wouldn't have thought them that difficult to travel or set up. The only question is would it be popular enough in a pay to ride environment to be profitable - with pretty much every theme park having a pirate ship would people pay to ride one at a fair?

Anyway, good news that it's finally gone. It looked a bit forlorn last year abandoned all on it's own. Just a shame we've lost arguably the most amazingly landscaped flat ride in the UK.

Hey I'm going on holiday to yorkshire for 2 weeks so It would be a shame not to go to lightwater valley. And when speaking to balhatchet (D4n) he said that if I write a review on it then I may be able to get some free tickets. He said speak to Deogo but I just thought I'd ask in here if they know anything ??? 8)

J4k3 said:
Hey I'm going on holiday to yorkshire for 2 weeks so It would be a shame not to go to lightwater valley. And when speaking to balhatchet (D4n) he said that if I write a review on it then I may be able to get some free tickets. He said speak to Deogo but I just thought I'd ask in here if they know anything ??? 8)

Last season (I think it still applies) they offered four free 'press' passes for enthusiasts that would do a write-up/review of their experience. I would write to [email protected] as he dealt with me last year, he's a most pleasant chap. :)

Some news from Simon at the Valley: marketing manager Ash, a favourite around these parts, is leaving Lightwater for a marketing position at Merlin. Simon is going to be the acting head of marketing for the time being.

I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing him the best of luck with his pastures new. :)

I wonder if the park's attitude towards ethusiasts will change if a new manager steps in. If Simon inherits the role full-time I imagine it won't.

Simon's asked me to post this awesomely well-produced video promo for Frightwater Valley. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXx2QxA7dU[/youtube]

On another talking point, with Alton's log cabin announcement, could that be a good thing for LWV's chances? "Look council, it's unfair if Alton are allowed to have this but we aren't..."

Sam said:
On another talking point, with Alton's log cabin announcement, could that be a good thing for LWV's chances? "Look council, it's unfair if Alton are allowed to have this but we aren't..."
There'd be absolutely no scope for such an argument. Different council, different type of site, different planning restrictions, different tourist market, different levels of existing success - I'm sure there's more.

Spotted by Mushroom on CF.

Valley Mania have updated their website with a banner at the top that says "PROJECT DRUPPEL COMING 2013"

Wiktionary said:
Dutch
Druppel

Noun
druppel m (plural druppels, diminutive druppeltje)
drop, dribble

Whether this is about the site or the park is unclear. :)

A Dutch word meaning to drop apparently.

So some sort of drop ride from KMG or Mondial? Maybe Vekoma are producing their own freefall coaster? Maybe it's not from a Dutch manufacturer at all and I'm reading into that too much.

I think we can rule out a coaster for budgetary reasons. Assuming that they've somehow found some cash, I'm gonna super-optimistically place my bet on them finally acquiring Barnstormer from Loudon. Then again, it could be something small for VM not related to the park at all.

Edit: whoops hadn't read the employee post about it presumably being the new VM website, my bad.

Valley Mania on Facebook said:
Valley Mania
Project Druppel. Dropping 2013.

I dunno, it really doesn't sound like just a fansite project. If it's just a VM project, then the "Dropping 2013" thing is very misleading. Unless they're moving their site over to Drupal...? :p

Also, Simon from LWV has 'liked' the above status, if that means anything.

Just read a couple of posts on Air Timers and Coasterforce about paintball coming to Lightwater Valley for the winter season. I was was pointed in the direction of LWV's Facebook:

Great news! Lightwater Valley has teamed up with Cerberus Airsoft delivering a fantastic action combat sport. Think paintballing... but cooler! All of this adrenalin pumping action is taking place within the inside track of The Ultimate, delivering you an unforgettable day out with a difference this winter. Check out their website at www.cerberusairsoft.co.uk and stay tuned for dates of the first events.

Air Timers thinks the games will take place in the wooded area around 'The Ultimate':
It is anticipated that in a vast forest area around the Coaster "The Ultimate" leisure Rambos, and other trigger-happy fellows can provide the ultimate battle.

There's a section on Valley Mania about it too.

:)

I can't believe they'd have people running around freely too close to the track.

EDIT: I now note it says during the winter!

News has just gone up from the park on Twitter, Harrogate council has voted a unanimous yes towards the New Lightwater Holiday Village!!

This is great news for the park, after last seasons 12% fall in visitors!

More news to follow later on I would imagine! :)

Sounds like fantastic news for the park! It will encourage me to finally visit it =) Not that I don't want to (I do) but it seems like such a pain to get to and will need a overnight stay, so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it'll boost revenue for the park which will also see more higher quality future investments =)

This is fantastic news for the park, and as Sammy pointed out, this will be a major boost given that they announced yesterday that they were down by 12% on visitors. The timing couldn't be better, really! :D

Jonathan said:
The timing couldn't be better, really! :D

Yesterday's press release was purposefully circulated just incase the council needed some final persuasion.

More exciting announcements in the pipeline. ;)

Nathan said:
Jonathan said:
The timing couldn't be better, really! :D

Yesterday's press release was purposefully circulated just incase the council needed some final persuasion.

More exciting announcements in the pipeline. ;)
Well, if it was needed, then it worked. :p