Lightwater Valley

Discussion in 'European Parks and Attractions' started by Nathan, 12th Jun 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan TowersStreet Member

Well, if Sam hasn't already taken the honourable duty, then I guess I will!

Here's the thread to discuss TTF's TST's favourite theme park in Yorkshire.

For those that missed it during last night's events.

Posted 12th Jun 2012
  2. John

John TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Steel Vengeance
    I did spot that and was going to comment but got swept up in the events of last night.

I'm quite surprised by the news as I had assumed it would go to another park rather than travel. Pirate ships seem fairly rare on the fair circuit, which seems odd as I wouldn't have thought them that difficult to travel or set up. The only question is would it be popular enough in a pay to ride environment to be profitable - with pretty much every theme park having a pirate ship would people pay to ride one at a fair?

Anyway, good news that it's finally gone. It looked a bit forlorn last year abandoned all on it's own. Just a shame we've lost arguably the most amazingly landscaped flat ride in the UK.

Posted 12th Jun 2012
  3. J4k3

J4k3 TowersStreet Member

Hey I'm going on holiday to yorkshire for 2 weeks so It would be a shame not to go to lightwater valley. And when speaking to balhatchet (D4n) he said that if I write a review on it then I may be able to get some free tickets. He said speak to Deogo but I just thought I'd ask in here if they know anything ??? 8)

Posted 13th Jun 2012
  4. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

Last season (I think it still applies) they offered four free 'press' passes for enthusiasts that would do a write-up/review of their experience. I would write to [email protected] as he dealt with me last year, he's a most pleasant chap. :)

Posted 13th Jun 2012
  5. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Some news from Simon at the Valley: marketing manager Ash, a favourite around these parts, is leaving Lightwater for a marketing position at Merlin. Simon is going to be the acting head of marketing for the time being.

I'm sure you'll all join me in wishing him the best of luck with his pastures new. :)

Posted 20th Aug 2012
  6. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

I wonder if the park's attitude towards ethusiasts will change if a new manager steps in. If Simon inherits the role full-time I imagine it won't.

Posted 21st Aug 2012
  7. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Simon's asked me to post this awesomely well-produced video promo for Frightwater Valley. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBXx2QxA7dU[/youtube]

On another talking point, with Alton's log cabin announcement, could that be a good thing for LWV's chances? "Look council, it's unfair if Alton are allowed to have this but we aren't..."

Posted 18th Oct 2012
  8. WillPS

WillPS TowersStreet Member

There'd be absolutely no scope for such an argument. Different council, different type of site, different planning restrictions, different tourist market, different levels of existing success - I'm sure there's more.

Posted 19th Oct 2012
  9. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

Spotted by Mushroom on CF.

Valley Mania have updated their website with a banner at the top that says "PROJECT DRUPPEL COMING 2013"

Whether this is about the site or the park is unclear. :)

Posted 12th Nov 2012
  10. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

The Valley Mania website only, according to a reliable employee poster.

11. CGM

CGM TowersStreet Member

A Dutch word meaning to drop apparently.

So some sort of drop ride from KMG or Mondial? Maybe Vekoma are producing their own freefall coaster? Maybe it's not from a Dutch manufacturer at all and I'm reading into that too much.

12. Rupert

Rupert TowersStreet Member

I think we can rule out a coaster for budgetary reasons. Assuming that they've somehow found some cash, I'm gonna super-optimistically place my bet on them finally acquiring Barnstormer from Loudon. Then again, it could be something small for VM not related to the park at all.

Edit: whoops hadn't read the employee post about it presumably being the new VM website, my bad.

13. Sam

Sam TowersStreet Member

I dunno, it really doesn't sound like just a fansite project. If it's just a VM project, then the "Dropping 2013" thing is very misleading. Unless they're moving their site over to Drupal...? :p

Also, Simon from LWV has 'liked' the above status, if that means anything.

14. BigAl

BigAl TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Forbidden Journey
    Just read a couple of posts on Air Timers and Coasterforce about paintball coming to Lightwater Valley for the winter season. I was was pointed in the direction of LWV's Facebook:

Air Timers thinks the games will take place in the wooded area around 'The Ultimate':

There's a section on Valley Mania about it too.

:)

15. Tom

Tom TowersStreet Member

I can't believe they'd have people running around freely too close to the track.

EDIT: I now note it says during the winter!

16. Sir Queer Llama

Sir Queer Llama TowersStreet Member Team Member

Favourite Ride:
    Untamed - Walibi Holland
    News has just gone up from the park on Twitter, Harrogate council has voted a unanimous yes towards the New Lightwater Holiday Village!!

This is great news for the park, after last seasons 12% fall in visitors!

More news to follow later on I would imagine! :)

Posted 3rd Jan 2013
  17. Ted

Ted TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Taron
    Sounds like fantastic news for the park! It will encourage me to finally visit it =) Not that I don't want to (I do) but it seems like such a pain to get to and will need a overnight stay, so I'm looking forward to this. Hopefully it'll boost revenue for the park which will also see more higher quality future investments =)

Posted 3rd Jan 2013
  18. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    This is fantastic news for the park, and as Sammy pointed out, this will be a major boost given that they announced yesterday that they were down by 12% on visitors. The timing couldn't be better, really! :D

Posted 3rd Jan 2013
  19. Nathan

Nathan TowersStreet Member

Yesterday's press release was purposefully circulated just incase the council needed some final persuasion.

More exciting announcements in the pipeline. ;)

Posted 3rd Jan 2013
  20. Jonathan

Jonathan TowersStreet Member

Favourite Ride:
    Helix <3
    Well, if it was needed, then it worked. :p

Posted 3rd Jan 2013