• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lightwater Valley

It's mentally rough because it wasn't designed or built properly but that's what makes it good. Something that ignores common sense and is genuinely brilliant for it.

Last edited:
Originally, the ride was going to just be the "evil" valley half, with a return track alongside, and an extension of the mini railway going round the 9 hole golf course, together with a boundary footpath.
Then they realised the geography didn't really work for the return, but they could go for the worlds longest by scrapping the mini train track extension, and having the coaster go round the golf course.
So lifthill two was planned originally as the only lifthill.
Then lifthill one was generated to get you to lifthill two, and the middle bit was then added to fit in.
The layout designers were not coaster designers either!
Then companies went bust.
Then they called in British Rail...(stroke of real genius).
The ride is/was great because it sort of "growed like Topsy", rather than being planned in the conventional sense.
Wish I could remember where I first read all this.

Lightwater Valley have unveiled their plans for the 2022 season.
First of all, the park have rebranded with a new logo, featuring their new mascot.
lightwater-valley.png

As for 2022 additions the website reads,
New for ‘22
With UK attractions opening up again, we can’t wait to welcome you! We have a whole host of brand new activities to enjoy in 2022 so come along and immerse yourself in the fun of the park. We even have a new mascot to show you round – Ebor the Lightwater Dragon – he loves to meet & greet, have his photo taken and join in dance-offs! Ebor is at the heart of our new daily park entertainment programme that we’ll be rolling out this year.

When you need a break from exploring, step into our new arcade, where you’ll find games for the whole family ranging from classic 2p and 10 pushers to our higher-tech VR experience, or enter a room of distortion in our new Hall of Mirrors.

To complement our Tree Top Trails, ‘Discovery Woods’ is also now open, offering a truly interactive outdoor experience, with a lakeside woodland nature trail, mud kitchen and bug hotel, as well as pond dipping and cloud gazing activities.

Upon looking at the attractions page, it would appear the park are also adding two new rides. The first is a standard Dodgems and the second is called 'Twist and Turn' which I assume will be a Twister fairground ride.

It's also worth noting that the Eagles Claw has been added back to the website, seemingly securing its future at the park which is great news as it's one of the best flats in the UK! The height restriction also looks to have been lowered from 1.4m to 1.22m (hopefully this won't affect the cycle!). Some rides have also been renamed such as Trauma Tower to Dragon Tower, presumably themed around the new mascot.

The Brighton Pier Group have also completely refreshed the park's food and beverage offering, with new outlets such as the Big Fish Trading Company and the Farm & Field Café, which offers extensive vegan options.

Phew, I think that's everything! Whilst the future for the Ultimate remains uncertain, we can't say the park isn't trying for the 2022 season.

They have said never say never with the Ultimate. To me it makes sense to focus on small investments at first, rebuild the park and then look at relaunching the ultimate further down the line.

I know I'm not the target demographic, but Ebor the dragon sounds a bit more generic than the Valligators. The new food options sound good though, and overall I think it's a positive step.

Last edited:
The food options used to be great, then they shut the pub in the wood, then they closed the Theakstons cafe bar...the remaining burgers and hot dogs were absolutely horrific...some of the very worst theme park food I have ever eaten.
Last few visits were happy picnics with mates on the car park grass borders.
Improving the food options had to be a massive priority, and a cheap, easy step to take.

I'll give them credit, nice to see them giving it a go. Food was diabolical so I'm glad to see that's changing and Vegan, whilst not my thing, is nice to see.

The new arcade is in Market Square, so quite a big change from that perspective.

Wouldn't call it iconic, by any means - but it's certainly the way people have entered the park for decades.

When they got rid of The Ultimate and Raptor Attack I was slightly worried that there wouldn't be enough to fill a day. But I didn't need to worry. "The entertainment is endless with our distorted mirrors".

You can literally spend the whole day erupting into fits of giggles.

When they got rid of The Ultimate and Raptor Attack I was slightly worried that there wouldn't be enough to fill a day. But I didn't need to worry. "The entertainment is endless with our distorted mirrors".

You can literally spend the whole day erupting into fits of giggles.
They clearly must have been to Thorpe park last season and enjoyed black mirror so much.

Bump!

Was just watching a video of the park, and a mirror maze is now inside Ulty's former exit shop. It looks very permanent, so I'd take that as a sign that the coaster will not be operating for a very long time, if even at all.

Was just watching a video of the park, and a mirror maze is now inside Ulty's former exit shop. It looks very permanent, so I'd take that as a sign that the coaster will not be operating for a very long time, if even at all.
Nope. The maze is in the arcade. Whip the board off covering the steps and you're away.