• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Lightwater Valley

Easy cheap fixes on the massive station to get round that, simply use the other station level doors.
Sadly not going to reopen though...they are running happily without the bothersome teenagers and geeks.

I watched the TPW vlog about Lightwater Valley which was posted a couple of days ago, and I thought, all things considered, the park looked in pretty good shape. If I was in the area I would definitely visit, but because it's over a three hour journey I wouldn't make a special journey at the moment.

I've only ever been to the park once and that was probably about ten years ago. To be honest I remember very little about it, apart from The Ultimate which was the reason for the visit. If that was to reopen I would be there like a shot.

I really hope that the park's new direction works out for them. Even now, it still looks like a good day out and the setting looks gorgeous.

I visited Lightwater Valley last summer and I definitely agree with the TPWW video in that the treetop nets course is an excellent inclusion (previously it was a separate upcharge attraction). Whilst it’s good to see that Brighton Pier Group added a couple of rides last year and some other attractions this year I’m still a little concerned about the future of the park. I can understand why The Ultimate is still SBNO and may well never reopen (given it’s very unique nature which has both pros and cons and means it isn’t really a suitable fit fit where the park is wanting to go) but the loss of that and especially Raptor Attack and the Reverchon Twister means that there’s a big coaster shaped hole in the park’s lineup. Whilst it’s good that they’ve added some attractions this year, I’m a bit concerned that the new owners will just be adding funfair rides and attractions(such as the new Sizzler/Scrambler ride, dodgems, arcade, and hall of mirrors that have all been introduced this season). I can’t help but think that’s going down that funfair route in the long term would be such a pity given the massive potential of the park in terms of the setting and the large amount of space they have. I know that the park is styling itself as a family park for under 12’s and has moved on from the thrill ride era of some years back but I just want to see the owners do something more interesting with it in terms of family rides and theming rather than just bring in a Sizzler and flying dumbo ride. It’s the nearest theme park to me (I live in Newcastle) but when I asked my kids (both under 12) if they were interested in going back there this year they both said no, they’d rather wait and go to somewhere like Blackpool or Towers instead. I think as Paulton’s Park have shown, the best route to go down is to have a very kid-friendly family orientated park but to add a couple of attractions that just push at the edges of that, such as they’ve done in Tornado Springs, but obviously Paulton’s is totally on another level in terms of investment and how well it’s been doing financially.

Last edited:
Just to note that I don't think it's been mentioned on here before, that Amanda Staveley the part-owner of Newcastle United Football Club is the daughter of the founder of Lightwater Valley, Robert Staveley. Amanda used to work at the park when she was young.

Just to note that I don't think it's been mentioned on here before, that Amanda Staveley the part-owner of Newcastle United Football Club is the daughter of the founder of Lightwater Valley, Robert Staveley. Amanda used to work at the park when she was young.

Amazed she has t used her contact to buy the place

I always thought wouldn’t it be fantastic if she bought the place back and brought some Middle East investment money with her to transform it in to a real player as a theme park. There’s scope for it to be an absolutely spectacular place given the size of the place, beautiful scenery, and room for additions.

Couple small things from Lightwater Valley...

This sign has appeared outside of the Vintage Car ride alongside some Halloween props, so it appears the ride will be given a spooky retheme later this year.
New-2022-2.jpg

The Black Pearl has been removed for this year (it was still SBNO in 2021), and the site has been blocked off with this sign. Seems whatever it is will still be themed to pirates, which is a good indication that the pier group plan to do theming, and not just fun fair rides. The fact it's stated as a direct replacement to the Black Pearl, says to me it may offer a bit of a thrill? (Really clutching at straws here I know 😂)
New-2022.jpg

So although small, it's nice to see continued investment in the place since the takeover... hopefully paving the way for bigger and better things...! 🤞

Anyone know where the Black Pearl has gone to? Quite a unique ride. Always reminded me of Only Fools And Horses Jolly Boys Outing.

Anyone know where the Black Pearl has gone to? Quite a unique ride. Always reminded me of Only Fools And Horses Jolly Boys Outing.

I’d guess that it’s gone to the scrap yard. It’s a very old ride and had been SBNO at LWV for a while now, I’m sure that it must have been at the end of its life.

It also had an incident in 2016 where it was reported that somebody nearly fell from the ride in the middle of a cycle when a restraint bar apparently opened.
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/carer-saves-man-plunging-85ft-8492839

Last edited:
I visited the park yesterday, my son’s class had their end of year trip there so I took up the chance to be a parent volunteer for the day and go along.

It’s a pity that the park has gotten rid of it’s more thrilling rides but the sole survivor Eagles Claw still packs a punch. I’m never sure whether this or Maelstrom is my favourite frisbee ride in the UK but I think Eagles Claw is a little more intense but Maelstrom seems more a tad fun for some reason (maybe the outward facing view makes it). The Powder Kegs ride (a Huss Breakdance) has been SBNO all season which is a pity but the new for 2022 Twister is a very good ride, much better than Flavios (and much better OP’s as well). The Waltzer though is absolutely terrible (only a couple of the cars actually spin, the rest just weakly wobble back and forth).

The dodgems are also a good little addition for 2022 though the park desperately needs a new coaster seeing as they’ve lost three (Twister, Raptor Attack, and the sadly SBNO Ultimate) since 2019. Hopefully they can add one for next year as I don’t see the Ultimate reopening again.

And as for the school trip it went okay, the year 6 kids enjoyed it (though I don’t think any of them are really theme park goers apart from my own) so they maybe didn’t have much to compare it to. We only had one kid spew up (on the Huss pirate boat) so I think that qualifies as a pretty good outing. The Treetop Trails net course was definitely really enjoyed by them but it still feels like the park is a little bit of a missed opportunity having all that nice space to use and the new owners (Brighton Pier Group) just installing commonly found funfair attractions on it.

Last edited:
Seems the Brighton Pier group are bringing in a Miami to the park this summer. I'd say it's the perfect 'thrill' level, but it would obviously be nice to have some permanent additions again in the coming years.

Hopefully it's more of a quick fix rather than an ongoing trend of fair rides, but at least it shows they're not only trying to appeal to young children.

bandicam 2022-06-18 15-11-03-607.jpg

I visited the park again today and here are some observations.

I think that if they are getting a Miami then it could very well be going on the site where The Black Pearl (a Huss Ranger) was in the Skull Rock area of the park. A junior swinging pirate boat was removed this season and this sign has now appeared there.

0c5a3492c75b9448b64167e56c723564.jpg

There is also this sign mentioning a new addition to the park this summer but I think it probably relates to the slightly spooky retheme of the existing vintage car rally ride (it now has some pumpkins, skeletons, and a graveyard at the back of it) rather than another new attraction.

650068e4340b1e61acc5e01f58b1a6e1.jpg

Powder Kegs (the Huss Breakdance) still isn’t operational and I think it may have been down all season. Initially back at the start of the season there was a note on the park’s website saying that it would be unavailable until May but it perhaps it’s a much longer term issue.

Eagle’s Claw now has music playing funfair style from the op booth speakers. Personally I’m not a fan and have been a little concerned at the “funfairification” of the park under the Brighton Pier Groups ownership and I really don’t think the ride needed to have songs blasting out at all. I think the park has so much more potential than just being turned in a something resembling a seaside amusement park. I’m not opposed to a dodgems for example but I wouldn’t have minded seeing something themed as opposed to one looking like this which is new for this year. Seems a bit of a waste with all that glorious space to just plonk that down there.

31c53aeb61fd14e86dfb340ef1893528.jpg

The new fish and chip bar is really good. I didn’t get the fish myself but I did get a vegan “fishless” fillet which was fantastic. They’ve had a change around of the food outlets this year and this is really nice addition and it’s great to see the park now has some excellent vegan and vegetation options. I guess that a good chippy is one welcome seaside amusement park addition after all.

Last edited: