• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Linking to "news" articles

Would you like to see this rule brought in?

• Yes, this annoys me!

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • No, quit moaning.

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Tell me more about banana themed rides!

Votes: 16 51.6%

• Total voters

DiogoJ42

TS Member
Favourite Ride
The Metropolitan Line
I think it's safe to say that none of us want to give the Fail or other so called "news" sites the clicks they crave. To me, nothing is more frustrating than seeing someone post such a link with no explanation of what it contains. On the flip side, just quoting the text without linking to the original source can be unfair to the writers of genuine news, and may even fall foul of copyright laws in some parts of the world.
I know our lovely hard working team are very keen to avoid "rules" in this hippy commune, but I'd like to propose the following, if I may be so bold:

"When linking to a news article or other external site, the poster should use the quote feature to copy the relevant text to their post, followed by a clearly labeled link to the original source."

For example:

Hi guys. I've just found this really interesting article about the top ten rides themed to bananas. Check this out!
Most people think bananas are something you eat. But did you know you can also ride them? Here's out top 10 banana themed thrill rides from around the world.

10: Mr Monkey's Banana Boat at Thorpe Park, England
A pirate ship painted yellow! How exciting!

9: Lisebergerbanana at Liseberg, Sweeden
We've never been there, but aparently this has both bananas AND burgers! What's not to love?

8: Anything yellow, because we're stupid

[[etc. you get the idea]]
Link to original article:
www.somegodawfulclickbaitsite.com/ridemybanana

What are everyone's thoughts?

Last edited:
I don't think we need a specific rule for this (let's face it no one reads them anyway!) as it should be common sense. Additionally, we shouldn't usually need to go and quote the whole article within a post when there's usually only be a small section that's relevant to discussion - and as you said, the writers of the article should be getting the click to read the full lot anyway.

If someone finds a post where there's no link to the original article though, then feel free to report it and we'll always edit as appropriate and let the poster know.

I'm just disappointed www.somegodawfulckickbatesite.com doesn't exist. Fully commit to your cause Diogo!

But this does annoy me too. Trouble is I once had a rant about it only to be shot down by the original poster who could only post the link from their phone. In this case I can excuse them as long as it's an attempt to spread news quickly.

Can I give another vote for banana based rides...
Don't care about quote rule changes, fuck the mail.
Who can list ten banana based rides then?

There are rules on here? I just sort of facesmashed the keyboard, hit enter and prayed I didn't get abuse from the mods :p

I don't think it should be a rule.
However maybe a a pin post saying it would be nice form to have a summary of the news article, for members checking on mobiles.

I keep clicking on the link Diogo,
but the ridemybanana site still seems to be down...
any clues?

EDIT...Banana Coaster Pleasure Garden, Hitachi Japan
Family Banana Coaster, Yokohama Cosmoworld
Go Bananas Wild Adventures, Valdosta USA
Go Go Banana Coaster, Japan Monkey Park
Go Bananas Park, (X2) USA
and then there is the "Banana roll" coaster element.
Credit to RCDB

Last edited:
Banana+ride.jpg

Reactions: Tom
I dunno, you try and insert a touch of humor to keep things light hearted, and that's all anyone can care about...

I dunno, you try and insert a touch of humor to keep things light hearted, and that's all anyone can care about...
Well, when you post the words "ride my banana", it kind of sticks with you. I'm still deciding in my head whether this is a good thing or not.