• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg - first time tips?

SkinSnatcher

TS Member
Favourite Ride
Taron
Hi all!

My partner and I are travelling to Lisberg in Sweden for the first time next weekend (Friday - Sunday). Any tips for this wonderful looking park? As a bonus, any travelling tips? Flying into Gothenburg airport and looking at the public transport options for getting to city centre. Thank you in advance :)

There's a direct bus service that runs from the airport into Gothenberg. Even has a stop right outside of Liseberg.
Can buy a return bus ticket from the machines inside the terminal before you go outside to the bus stop.

Liseberg is a lovely park, should be able to get everything done in one visit. If you want to do the permanent horror maze I'd suggest checking it's operating hours and getting there shortly before it opens.

Make sure to do the log flume as well, looked it was scheduled to permanently close last year but it's opened with the park this year so ride it while you can.

I think the first 2 points that spring to mind are these:

- Unlike most UK parks closing queues at the advertised closing time and then running the rides for however long it takes to shift the queue, Liseberg closes the queues early enough for each ride to close by closing time. That can make planning your evening rides tricky. The good news is that queues often drop substantially as the evening progresses. Also, if you queue for Helix not long before the queue is likely to close, Lisebergbånan is usually still running with a 5-10 minute wait by the time you're off if you fancy one last ride.

- Restaurants offer struggle to deal with demand on Saturdays (remember that the park is effectively a destination for locals as well as an amusement park). If you're able to book a table for any that you particularly fancy, it's worth a go.

Getting to the park is extremely quick and easy, as said already there is a bus that will take you from right outside the airport to just by the gates of Liseberg and then it continues up to the centre of the town itself. Gothenburg is great to get around, you can take a tram the short journey from Liseberg up to the city centre and there are some nice museums there, the Gothenburg City Museum has a great viking collection (and all the museums are free to students by the way).

If you want to eat at the park then Max Burger is fantastic and a real Swedish institution. There are a couple of branches in the park, one up the escalator by the entrance to Helix, one by by the kids area, and another by Balder I think (as well as a couple more branches in Gothenburg itself).

Valkyria has a single rider queue that will get you on quickly and there is also a virtual queue system via the app where you can reserve a slot on some of the rides including Helix. Also make sure you visit the excellent Spökhotellet Gasten scare maze that is included with the ride wristband and is tucked away in the corner of the park by the boat.

Aah, you'll have a fab time at Liseberg!
  • Speaking of Spökhotellet Gasten (yes, get in the queue as soon as it opens), visit Spökbaren Gasten by the scare maze's exit. It's an atmospheric, horror themed bar you can get a couple of drinks or food in, with several spooky surprises dotted around for good measure 👻

• Järnvägsrestaurangen underneath Lisebergbanan is also a great establishment to have lunch or dinner at, especially if you can get a carriage booth.

• Be prepared for the climb up and down the 'berg. There are steep escalators leading to Helix and AtmosFear which have great photos showing the park's heritage, as well as a smaller escalator to Luna Park, but they may not always operate and you may have to walk up or down them. If they get a little tough, there are paths you can take up that provide excellent angles for photos and videos, especially of Helix, with a few quiet spots to decompress like the garden by the Wheel.

• The park operations are fairly swift, so you shouldn't have a problem waiting for any major attractions throughout the day (bar Gasten). Be mindful Helix's queue is a bit of a mind screw to navigate in comparison to the less elaborate queues for the other coasters.

• And last but not certainly least, visit Kaninlandet 🐰

as said above there is a direct bus with Flygbussarana right outside the airport that takes you to Korsvagen which is right outside the park, I think about £9 each way off the top of my head

Thank you all! Currently in the queue for our first ride on Helix :D
I see that the park is open until 10pm tonight, make sure you get a night ride (preferably front row) as it’s absolutely spectacular in the dark when you roll out of the station. Enjoy your visit!