• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Liseberg: General Discussion

Hotel and water park look very nice.

Definitely excited for all the park's developments as they all look great and everything I've seen the park do since Helix looks stunning.

Exciting news about the hotel and waterpark. Definitely going to make another trip to the park when the new coaster is open and also for Helix as it is so fab!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OMG THEY'RE CLOSING IT EARLY TO SAVE MONEY. THEY ARE SCUM.

Oh wait, different park.

etc.

Except Liseberg are closing it early because the removal is going to require closing off access to Balder and another ride, meaning a reduced ride line-up during one of the busy periods. So, to maintain as full a ride offering as possible, they've opted to close it early and save everyone the hassle.

But easy pickings, etc.

I will miss Kanonen a little. I know it wasn't everyone's favourite but for me, it was a decent little launch coaster that managed to be quite thrilling despite its tiny footprint. Hopefully, it will go onto a new life as a smaller park's signature coaster. It's not often that you see a custom layout Intamin rocket coaster on the used ride market. It's only 11 years old too.

Liseberg do have some form when it comes to removing rides relatively early in their life. It seems they really don't mess around when it comes to refreshing their ride lineup. HangOver lasted all of 5 years. It says a lot that although the park opened in 1923, their oldest ride dates from the 70s.

While I am a little sad about losing Kanonen, I'm far more excited about what will be replacing it. Much like Phantasialand, when Liseberg close a ride or start a new construction project, you don't worry because you have confidence that the park will produce a quality attraction that improves the guest experience and moves the park forwards.

Kanonen wasn't an awful coaster really though. Just not quite on the high level that Helix Balder and Lisebergbanen all provide in their different ways.

Again as mentioned, this ride would do wonders to a small park. It would certainly wipe the floor with Shockwave and G Force on the unlikely offchance it relocated to Drayton.

True, it would be a fine purchase for a smaller park. Though I have to wonder how much modification the supports would need. Half the footprint, and the majority of the track, is on top of a building, not to mention that the lead in / out of the top hat spans a river. Depending on where it ends up it may have a lot of ugly 15ft tall footers!

Kanonen wraps itself round a lot of obstacles but the actual plot is fairly level, in fact most of the layout takes place over a concrete slab. I can't see it needing massive pillar-like footers as we've seen with some coaster transplants. If anything there will just be weird gaps in the supports like Rita's redundant Corkscrew 'bridge'.

The footers around the river may be slightly lower than the rest of the layout, but surely it would make more sense for the new park to dig down a bit in that area rather than put the rest of the coaster on stilts. If necessary, they could even commission modifications to the supports.

I liked Kanonen, but I'm more excited about Valkyria and removing it will be an improvment for the Swedes. I'm wondering where it'll end up, don't think it'll be Drayton but it'd ace if it did come to the UK.

Liseberg do have some form when it comes to removing rides relatively early in their life. It seems they really don't mess around when it comes to refreshing their ride lineup. HangOver lasted all of 5 years. It says a lot that although the park opened in 1923, their oldest ride dates from the 70s.
When I swapped a few e-mails with the enthusiast park boss a couple of years ago he said the park regrets removing the Bergbanan.

The biggest barrier to a small park buying Kanonen is the expense associated with maintaining a hydraulic launch coaster, irrespective of its size. I believe Vekoma found a slightly better way to implement the technology, but they and others are now focussed on LIM/LSM which makes me wonder if it's a hard sell for their market. Similarly, Zamperla have stuck with flywheels.

Cable launches are one of the only technologies used in rides that actually make me nervous, their history is somewhat patchy. The ride experience is phenomenal but the consequences of a malfunction are somewhat dire.

That's a good point about the maintenance costs with such a coaster, I hadn't thought of that. I do hope that it remains in Europe though.

It will be interesting to see how the new Ferarri coaster at PA rides in comparison with Ka/TTD in terms of the launch.

:)

Hopefully Kanonen will remain in Europe.

Had booked a Liseberg trip for July 2017 on the understanding Kanonen would still be open at that point but I guess it wasn't a particularly major attraction and I might hopefully get to ride it elsewhere in the future.

I am however desperate to ride Balder, which I understand occupies an area near the Kanonen / 2018 site... is there any danger of that being closed for the construction works? That I would be upset about.

To get to the area Loke will be in, I'm pretty sure if my memory is correct, you have to walk past where Kanonen is, turn left past Balder and you reach kallerado (probably spelt that completely wrong :p) and the area where spin rock was, so I'd imagine Balder will be open if Loke is.

Reactions: D4n