• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Locking of unwanted topics

Tom

TS Member
I thought I'd posted something similar to this before, but I guess that was on TowersTimes, so:

I have to question the policy of locking topics which are deemed pointless or identified as spam and/or trolling.

Why not simply remove them? I find it slightly embarrassing that such topics can be viewed by and potentially scare off would-be members.

Although I can accept that locking is useful for announcements not requiring discussion, or for a temporary 'cooling off' period, I personally cannot see a situation when a topic has "run its course". Either it's acceptable to be discussing something or it isn't, surely?

The topic will be removed in due course (e.g. in the next few hours) It hasn't been immediately removed as at the moment everyone can see why the topic was locked, instead of it mysteriously disappearing (with people then asking where the topic has gone)

I think it's all a bit more transparent this way.

:)

Why remove it? I think some interesting things were said in that topic and a lot of people put time into detailed posts. It was right to lock it as it wasn't going anywhere, but it doesn't need removing...

Wilsy said:
The topic will be removed in due course (e.g. in the next few hours) It hasn't been immediately removed as at the moment everyone can see why the topic was locked, instead of it mysteriously disappearing (with people then asking where the topic has gone)

I think it's all a bit more transparent this way.

You're right to assume that said post was inspiration for this one, but my point does apply in a more generalised way. Although I have to admit I've not noticed a great number of locked topics, so is it the policy to remove after locking (following a short delay as you described above)? If that's the case I apologise for being presumptuous. :)

Usually it is the case for us to remove the offending topic, once people have had a reasonable time to see why it has been locked etc. But obviously we are all human and sometimes we forget to remove topics after we have locked them.

However, like Sam has mentioned, if we feel that there are a number of quality posts in a topic and do not want to lose them we may just leave it for public view.

Personally, I would find it a bit annoying if topics just disappeared without any warning as sometimes people might want to have a record of one of their posts in there, or something like that.

Forums full of locked topics look messy and push relevant content away from the 1st page of the forums, which isn't great really :)

In my opinion, if a topic serves no useful purpose as reading for enjoyment then it should be removed. Topics that have included well thought out posts and a great deal of contribution should stay viewable on the forums.

In some cases though I understand why some big topics are removed, especially if it would be damaging to the site or look messy on the forums.

Locked topics don't look messy on the forum, as by their very nature they very quickly drop down the various forums as new posts are made in other topics. The point of that system is that they naturally die away.

They can sometimes look messy when you have multiple locked topics in a row, or a lot of locked topics on a page - however I will admit that rarely happens.

Personally found it disappointing that it was locked. There are many people who put forward fantastically positive views of an important public service that is provided. Also, the topic itself actually resulted in an air of reconciliation between some members.

Forums should be no less representative of opposing views, than real life. I think if you try to sanitise the forum in some way, it results in people getting a false view of how it actually operates - and thus broadsides them when discussions like this do spontaneously occur... which they quite regularly do ;D.

I find it one of the forums great charms. Also, there were many members posting opinions - many very well considered, that in itself proves there is an interest in this topic.

Not easy to know when to take these decisions for the good of the forum as a whole though, that's for sure.

The trouble is good posts or not that topic wasn't going anywhere. All the arguments were either the same or frankly getting quite rude. And that's not even mentioning that BigT wasn't taking it seriously, we could have all posted our occupation and he'd have still accused us all of being Students/Teachers.

When a topic reaches that state it just leads to trouble.

I stopped taking it seriously the moment the insults started, the reason I admitted to it was some people were still taking it serious and putting together quite long posts which wasn't fair on them as it wasn't aimed at them.
To me there was two choices when people stated insulting, either insult back or just carry it on and let them boil over.
I think the thread served a point as it stopped the NHS thread from being derailed but to be honest it should have been locked on the first page once the insults started.
On the whole it was a bit like turkeys voting for Christmas, and for my troubles I get a warning so I think why do I bother wasting my time.

Arrivederchi

"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened." ;D

Have to say BigT I appreciate your honesty, and the reasons you admitted to it is fair game as far as I am concerned.

I have to confess to scouting more over the "bickering" (for want of a better word) if you like, my interest was in the impassioned responses of those defending something they believed in. I love that.

Perhaps I read the thread slightly biased in the fact, I was simply impressed by the efforts some were going to, to defend something they believed in.

At the end of the day we are a theme park forum not a general debating forum and although we are proud to have that aspect on TST there is only so much time we can commit to trying to sort out a topic before the inevitable locking occurs.

The topic was going nowhere and was just heading towards a flame-war so it was locked. We have learned from many years experience when a topic can be recovered and when to just stop. It's not our first topic of this kind and it won't be the last.

Dave said:
At the end of the day we are a theme park forum not a general debating forum and although we are proud to have that aspect on TST there is only so much time we can commit to trying to sort out a topic before the inevitable locking occurs.

The topic was going nowhere and was just heading towards a flame-war so it was locked. We have learned from many years experience when a topic can be recovered and when to just stop. It's not our first topic of this kind and it won't be the last.

You try to be a theme park forum lol! Whilst the theme park aspect is undoubtedly the dominant discussion within the contextual environment of this forum, what makes this forum different and unique, is precisely that uniqueness of managing to broach such a spectrum and plethora of topics, and embrace it seemingly effortlessly within its social constructs.

The judgement was clearly correct though, as Big himself even admitted he himself had run the course and had had enough of it. My only point was that there were still great points being made, and most likely to be made, I guess it is when the overall balance of a topic turns from that of serious, considered, impassioned debate - to that of simply conflict.

Certainly isn't the case from a neutral perspective however, that it had become completely nonsensical and confrontational. That almost became a side show to other exceptionally well balanced and informed opinions.

I do agree however with the decision you've taken don't get me wrong. This forum has in the past, taken things out of context, given it is possible for me to agree with a decision that has been made, whilst expressing/proffering an alternative perception of what has occurred - doesn't seem to be something that is easily accepted. I just want to ensure that does not take place again in this particular circumstance.

And that, is why I am joint 2nd most serious member here hahah!! ;)

So my friends: To surmise, was enjoying the debate, think there was great points being made and others no doubt to come, but understand how the conflict needed to be tidied up to not take tons of time from the rest of the forum

:twirly:

TheMan said:
You try to be a theme park forum lol!

I don't fully get the intent you had with the "you try" comment, we are a theme park forum with a focus on Alton Towers, that is what we are.

Seemed an odd turn of phrase

Dave said:
TheMan said:
You try to be a theme park forum lol!

I don't fully get the intent you had with the "you try" comment, we are a theme park forum with a focus on Alton Towers, that is what we are.

Seemed an odd turn of phrase

Dude, I think the lol at the end and winks etc should have projected the fact I was pulling your chain - crikey dude, even Meat, the worlds most serious person, (;)) understood it was a giggle, and actually a compliment!

There where no winks just a lol which could have meant anything really, though i'm not particularly well known for my cracking sense of humour.... Dude

Dave said:
There where no winks just a lol which could have meant anything really, though i'm not particularly well known for my cracking sense of humour.... Dude

Time to lock this topic maybe ;) (<<< MORE dodgy "TheMAN" attempts at humouressness)

I think I know what TheMan was saying and the intent and it was certainly not malicious in any way. (OMG I am agreeing with him (lol,wink, smile, roflmao insert others her to show intent)).

However much this is a theme park forum it has real people with real points of view on real problems and the forum should be proud as Dave said of having such discussions. Even if it is more work for the team to manage such discussions.

Even in the most heated of discussions there can be some very good posts from both sides. Unfortunately the most vocal are always the ones that are polar opposites in their views which can somtimes descend into insults and worse than this, stopping more moderate people from joining in.

I think Bear mentioned earlier a subforum for locked topics, especially ones that contain good discussion points or something that may arise again. I think this is a good idea if it can easily be implemented.

My tuppence,

Badgy