• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Dungeons

The long transitions of corridor in between shows were a bit annoying but at least they were themed, plague street in particular! But surely they could add a couple of actors or other interactions/effects to the other long stretches of corridor? That would enhance the experience a great deal.

There were also elements that did not make much sense, such as a random white door plonked in the middle of the attraction that lead to a stair case with zero theming, which I think was just before Sweeney Todd (unless it was a route for the actors and has now been sealed off from the public)?

If there was one show that wasn't too great, it was Coughing Coffins, which just felt like it was there to fill a space. The script for that scene did not amuse. but the rest of the Dungeon however was fantastic.

To end, I don't get the negativity over Drop Dead. The ride was never going to be too forceful because they are trying to attract families. Extremis was slightly forceful for its size, but I found Drop Dead to be a more enjoyable ride. Pretty sure both drop rides were just as intense as each other?

Tim said:
Sounds like the same problem Sub-Terra has. By adding the top loading floor (which I assume drops with you?) there's more drag and so a less impressive drop. I had a feeling we'd be seeing these issues again when they announced the former (very forceful) Extremis was being replace.
This next-generation ABC drop tower does attempt to solve that, as mentioned above.

The floor is actually a series of louvred slats (they spin horizontally thus more or less negating the floor), which are closed when loading/unloading, but open on dispatch. It's one of the most over-engineered solutions to a problem I've ever seen! Don't see why they don't just use a small-holed catwalk-type floor.

This no doubt helps cancel the cushioning effect the floors on Sub Terra had, in theory resulting in a more forceful drop. However, this is definitely not the case.

I suspect that this is due to the gondola never actually detaching from the chain on Drop Dead (which allows for a speedy lift and additional drops), unlike Extremis and Sub Terra where the chains raise the gondolas and then return to the lower position, leaving the gondola entirely free to fall on its own, without having to drag a chain as well.

Essentially, it seems to me that in creating this next-gen 'Drop Dead' system, ABC have solved one issue, but created a second entirely unrelated but worse issue.

Speaking to those who went yesterday they seem to think the drop is worse than on Sub-Terra, which is surprising. And it does seem to be as Islander said because it doesn't detach from the lift chain.

Don't really get why a ride based on being hanged needs to drop twice and the solution to desire has ruined the drop so that seems a shame.

It's just a drop - I wouldn't analyse it too much.

I suggested they add an audio in before the 2nd drop saying "They're not dead yet... do it again!" or something.

They wanted to have you falling into the pits of hell on the bottom scene and they wanted to have real fire blowing up around you. Naturally due to the joys of health and safety - that didn't happen. Shame, really. Did anything happen at the bottom for those who've been recently, or does it just look like a lot of photographs being taken?

nickhutson said:
Did anything happen at the bottom for those who've been recently, or does it just look like a lot of photographs being taken?

Some strobes flashed on and off to illuminate mannequins hung up to look like freshly hung people, that was it really.

From what I could tell your picture is taken when you first drop, then the strobes at the bottom are just strobes themselves :)

nickhutson said:
It's just a drop - I wouldn't analyse it too much.
It's a fairly rubbish drop though, that's the point ;). Also, as has been mentioned, really don't get why there're two drops - doesn't match in with the theme at all.

nickhutson said:
They wanted to have you falling into the pits of hell on the bottom scene and they wanted to have real fire blowing up around you. Naturally due to the joys of health and safety - that didn't happen.
That's just a cop-out, though - if they wanted to do that, it would be possible to do it somehow in a way which is deemed safe. After all, you have real fire effects on the Swarm and in Legoland's 4D Theatre. Failing that, use a bunch of effects to fake fire.

Not to mention the spectacular fireballs used on Valhalla - a ride that doesn't even feature restraints which meant a system was needed to cut the fire if it detected anyone getting out of the boat.

It's the restrictions of the building and the smoke alarm system they have installed. Their 11am opening on Thursdays is because they have a 10am fire drill every week on Thursdays.

They really fought hard for the fire effect, but it was not allowed by the building owner. Sad, really.

Why don't they use a 'floor less coaster' style retracting floor? It would;

A) Improve the ride as your legs would be more free
B) Prevent the drag issue

cotda said:
Why don't they use a 'floor less coaster' style retracting floor? It would;

A) Improve the ride as your legs would be more free
B) Prevent the drag issue

This is very true, however I think the main reason is it would present far too many technical issues and could potentially go very wrong! If the system failed, you could end up with some severely injured people! Having the floor go with you is just the safer way really!

Boat Ride was closed yesterday so, what was interesting, was the lift only went down one floor as opposed to two - so the ride (and Gong Farmer) was completely skipped. Very sneaky! There was no mentioning it at all before it started. It really cuts out a good 10 minutes of the experience.

I never thought I'd be moaning about this - but some areas of the dungeon are just too dark! The main ticket area is quite hazardous as my guest nearly tripped over a chain separating the queue area; it needs a bit more lighting in there.

and - needless to say, Saturday looked like a nightmare (I wasn't there):

BFHLpaVCQAAAySX.jpg:large

That's just how the South Bank is on a weekend! Add a new family attraction...

If anything it's a sign that they need to change their opening hours to close a lot later than a weak 6.30pm at peak times.

That photo is terrifying!

I may book a day off work to do this and my usual London shenanigans.

Is the queue entirely contained indoors even on a busy day?

(also I was burned as a heretic, too! Our group was my friend and I and a coachload of German students and it was the only part of the tour they got into! 'BURN HER!')

AshleeKel said:
Laura said:

No, there's also a queue outdoors too.

It must be said though, that the MAP queue is mainly indoors. The normal queue is both indoors and outdoors :)

LiamC said:
AshleeKel said:
Laura said:

No, there's also a queue outdoors too.

It must be said though, that the MAP queue is mainly indoors. The normal queue is both indoors and outdoors :)

I love the MAP queues. You can just waltz past all the plebs queueing for hours in the cold :p

Might also be worth adding that the priority access queue is now Premium pass holders only, due to the popularity of the attraction.

Not sure where this leaves a group where one person has a standard and the other has a premium...

Regardless of whether you've priority booking or not, on a busy day it will always be:

1) queue outside
2) queue in the first indoor bit for photo
3) queue in the corridor of misdemeanours
4) queue in the ticket processing area
5) queue in the rat house area

^ Nice segregation by Merlin. ::)

'You have a standard pass, so go wait in the cold. Premium passholders, just waltz in.'

I bet that's gonna annoy a few people, and like you said Nick, what happens if you are in a group and only one person has a standard. You can't exactly let them queue outside whilst the rest of the group skip the queue.