• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

London Entertainment Resort: All Discussion

After reading the article it does actually sound like its still on track,

Glad someone changed the title of the topic too, or am i imagining that lol

If DLP is going to be rescued by the Walt Disney Company, I think it's even more of a reason to try something a bit different.

Glad someone changed the title of the topic too, or am i imagining that lol

Don't worry, you're not imagining it! ;)

Needless to say that 'London Resort' does not quite have the same ring to it!

:)

After reading the article it does actually sound like its still on track,

On the face of it reading solely the quotes from that article, then yes it does sound like its all still on track. However, couple this with:
  • One of their big investors SinoFortune Group having promised millions to a massive portfolio of projects, but only actually completing one acquisition of a pub in the UK.
  • An ex director of the SinoFortune admitting that they had been refused a loan from China's state owned bank due to a lack of Chinese workforce and products being involved in the project (I can't see them being keen on piling the park full of Golden Horse knock offs!).
  • Paramount Resort's Chief Executive leaving a mere week after the above news came out
  • Top that off with delay after delay, with opening pushed back to 2022
I'd LOVE to be wrong, but my gut feeling is it all seems like the last 6 months or so has been an effort by LRCH to put on a front that everything is ok in order to keep what few investors they have on board, and to reassure potential investors too. Behind the scenes and away from the quotes, I'm imagining....

c4jt321.png

I'm hoping and praying this project still goes ahead. Not only because it would be awesome, but also hugely beneficial to the UK going forward. With Paramount now pulled out, it does throw shade on the project. But if they can get another high level IP interested things might be okay. Maybe Universal or Disney would be interested in opening a park on this side of the pond, it's about time one of them thought outside the US (Ahaha, Paris, Shanghai, etc aside).

My only concern is that this park will still go ahead, but in a pitifully lesser version of itself. This was meant to be the UK's Universal Studios, or Disney World. It was meant to be a resort on an enormous scale, an absolute first for us. But it could get scaled back to something no bigger, no more exciting than our existing parks.

Maybe Universal or Disney would be interested in opening a park on this side of the pond, it's about time one of them thought outside the US (Ahaha, Paris, Shanghai, etc aside).

As you note in brackets, Universal and Disney (and Merlin/Legoland to be honest) are thinking outside the US, all the recent park opens have been in the East or Middle East. China & Dubai are huge growth areas, The US and Europe, less so.

Disney also will never build in the UK as they have Paris, focus for Disney is to get us over to Paris or to holiday to Florida. Universal might be more interested in a UK prescence, but its very unlikely.

I don't think Merlin would even be opening anything new in the UK really, there are a few Lego Discovery Centres planned for shopping malls I think and maybe a similar Sea Life, but there isn't any room for more parks really as they will just pull business from themselves, except for Scotland maybe.

I don't think Merlin would even be opening anything new in the UK really

Part of me wouldn't want Merlin to take this project. I've not been overly impressed with them these past couple years, we need new players on the market. This project was meant to be the UK's chance to have a world class theme park that can play with the big boys across the pond, I don't think Merlin would achieve that somehow.

Part of me wouldn't want Merlin to take this project. I've not been overly impressed with them these past couple years, we need new players on the market. This project was meant to be the UK's chance to have a world class theme park that can play with the big boys across the pond, I don't think Merlin would achieve that somehow.

They can't even afford to pump sufficient money into the parks they already own, and not by a long way. There is no way they'd be in any position surely to purchase and develop a park on this scale.

I just hope it does come along as there is alot of support for it. Plus to see merlon have proper competition would mean do or die. I think we would see the parks spun off out of merlin.

That's no ideal threat. There's been a lot of literal hat eating in the past.