• ℹ️ Heads up...

This is a popular topic that is fast moving Guest - before posting, please ensure that you check out the first post in the topic for a quick reminder of guidelines, and importantly a summary of the known facts and information so far. Thanks.

Magic Kingdom Expansion

Danny said:
People feel this was a cheap makeover and actually the pulling of the plug for what was a great little area in the form of Mickey's Toon Town.

Mickey's Toon Town was rubbish! A poorly thought out cheap add-on from the Eisner era, in my opinion. :)

The project may have a budget of $250+, but that's for the whole area, not just the coaster. What I'm saying is underwhelming is the coaster itself (based on what we know about it now, which is all we can speculate on).

This coaster is a more minor investment than all these rides, RELATIVE to the guest numbers at their respective parks when they were built, and the state of the industry at the time:

Space Mountain at MK
Splash Mountain at MK
Big Thunder Mountain at MK
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Tower of Terror
Expedition Everest
Harry Potter
Big Grizzly Mountain Runaway Mine Cars
Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye
Journey to the Center of the Earth

I'm not saying that this ride is a smaller investment than all of the above. I'm saying it's a smaller investment relative to the guest figures that each park was getting as the above were built, and the entrance price they were charging.

Considering that this is the most visited theme park on planet earth, with 16.97 million guests in 2011, this is the most underwhelming major coaster Disney have ever built. Plenty of Disney parks with lower guest figures have got much better coasters than this in the past.

Universal opened Harry Potter two years ago, and will be opening a new Harry Potter coaster in a few years, which will no doubt set a new standard for the industry. This just simply isn't good enough. :)

I do feel I need to come in and defend MK here. This development may not be that exciting in terms of coasters, but they are effectively doubling the size of Fantasyland in MK, with theming and scenes that look awesome in the literal sense of the word. It's a huge investment, and may not be providing another large scale coaster, but that's not what Disney parks are about

EuroSatch said:
I do feel I need to come in and defend MK here. This development may not be that exciting in terms of coasters, but they are effectively doubling the size of Fantasyland in MK, with theming and scenes that look awesome in the literal sense of the word. It's a huge investment, and may not be providing another large scale coaster, but that's not what Disney parks are about

With that being said, I feel the new Snow White coaster is a step back from (the worst) Snow White dark ride. As you've said though, some of the new additions do look pleasant and kids love meet and greets, but when you realise they were meant to get a Matterhorn/Big Rock Candy Mountain it really does make you wonder who controls Disney's developments, the skilled imagineers or Meg Crofton (if she's still in charge) pulling at purse strings to stop decent investments seeing the light of day.

I won't defend MK though, the only thing I go in that park for is Splash Mountain.

Time to look down on some more construction updates:

iCzq4AbgrIIh8.jpg

iKaeqdfRqzxAE.jpg

i2VNl4dBiDgrm.jpg

And here's a video of the current progress for good measure:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QIaRV8Wo9A&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

Danny, I've had to remove your previous post as it was a little *too* picture heavy! Could you perhaps provide a link to the website for the update, who may have thumbnails? I even had problems removing it :p! I could reinstate it, but it would need modifying quickly, as other members have reported problems with viewing the thread :(.

New concept art from the Disney blog:

nfp993999LARGE.jpg

"This first signature image shows a view of New Fantasyland in detail from the very top turret of Cinderella’s Castle. The landscape stretches from Maurice’s Cottage on the left, all the way to the colorful Storybook Circus on the right."

nfp110129LARGE.jpg

"Another photo depicts Belle enjoying a book right outside Maurice’s Cottage, with Beast’s Castle high up on the mountains in the background."

(maybe it's this book? - Sam)

npf220100LARGE.jpg

"Here, Ariel gazes at Prince Eric’s Castle while the tide rushes in. Can’t you just hear her singing “Part of Your World?”

Which pic do you like best?

Just a reminder – these two areas of New Fantasyland will open in a preview phase for all Magic Kingdom Park guests November 19, with a grand opening December 6."

Beast's Castle looks incredible from the Carousel area already - the mountains and scenery look amazing even over the construction boards at this stage :)

A new picture heavy construction update can be found here,here and here. Oh, and not to mention a look at the new Storybook Circus.

I certainly had my doubts on Storybook Circus, but I think I can say from the images that it's changed my views for the better. Having Casey Jr as the center piece of the area is also a nice little touch :).

Edit: Disney have just uploaded this video online:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ziL1oIR2aI&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Details are promised soon here.

The Disney Parks Blog has posted new photos from inside The Little Mermaid, I wonder who 'leaked' them. :p

Disney said:
Today we’re thrilled to share the very first photos from inside the Under the Sea ~ Journey of The Little Mermaid attraction, which will open at Magic Kingdom Park this December.

Housed in the grottos below Prince Eric’s Castle, this New Fantasyland attraction invites guests to follow Ariel on her remarkable journey as she meets Prince Eric, falls in love, and makes a deal with Ursula, the evil Sea Witch.

fpu102853.jpg

These photos, supplied by Walt Disney Imagineering, are some of my favorite that we’ve shared in our “All in the Details” series so far. I love this shot, which is obviously inspired by the “Kiss the Girl” scene from the film.

fpu380936LARGE.jpg

fpu409814LARGE.jpg

And check out some of Sebastian’s friends above – sure looks like they’re having fun “Under the Sea.”

Some plussing for Pirates!

Disney Parks Blog said:
Ahoy! Changes Are Afoot at Pirates of the Caribbean at Magic Kingdom Park

In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, I’m excited to have a bit of news to share on one of my all-time favorite attractions, Pirates of the Caribbean here at Magic Kingdom Park.

This classic Disney attraction, which inspired a four-part film franchise, has undergone a few changes in recent years due to the success of these movies. First, Captain Jack Sparrow made his debut at the attraction, then Captain Barbossa (pictured above) appeared aboard a pirate ship. More recently, the ghostly apparitions of knaves Davy Jones and Blackbeard have materialized.

Our friends at Walt Disney Imagineering dropped us a line today to let us know that something from the most recent film, “Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides,” is about to be added to the attraction here at Walt Disney World Resort. Can you guess what it is?

Updates to the attraction will be made overnight, so Pirates of the Caribbean will remain open to guests during park hours.

Keep a weather eye on the Disney Parks Blog for more details!

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2 ... gdom-park/

Screamscape reckons it's mermaids. :)

So long as they keep all of these updates away from DLP's PotC as i'm getting a bit sick of this modernising nonsense. Since MK's PotC is the worst version however, it needs all the help it can get.

Can't be that much if they're doing it overnight. I would hope that it's something to fill up the space between leaving the station and going down the first small drop - all there is currently is a projection of a storm with a skeleton in front of a ship's wheel.

I found Florida's Pirates to be a little... uninspiring. My comparison, I rode Paris' version three times only a few weeks ago :D I love it!

I take it the track posted above is for Snow White?

LOVING the look of The Little Mermaid! My favourite Disney film, finally brought to life with justice.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Disney posted a pretty cool timelapse of construction on their FB today:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzF_Dg5rahE[/youtube]

Didn't really warrant a new thread, but I've recently come back from Florida and on our last day at MK we pointed out to guest services that the majority of the fish in the water around the centre of the park, in front of the castle, were floating dead on the surface. I'd be curious to know if anything happened about it, it being our last day we had no way of knowing. I'm sure they would have kept all of that relatively quiet anyway!

I currently in the magic kingdom and although guest previews are not meant to start until mid nov the new fantasy land inc the attractions and shops etc are open for dress rehearsals (opened yesterday apprantly) the theming is amazing.The little mermaid while same ride as California the queue is not the same and is up there with some of the best themed queues. The whole area looks amazing.

Also they sell a special drink on Gastons tavern in similar style to butter beat at Harry potter only this drink tastes nice! Also can get in souvenir cup (its frozen apple and marshmallow with mango and passion fruit foam to look like beer.

Only downside is big construction site in middle for the mine coaster that opens 2014.

Been looking into this and it looks fab! Going to Florida in 2 years when it will be finished. Whilst it does look like an animatronic madness land, since when is that a bad thing? The little mermaid ride is meant to be amazing and the snow white one looks great too. Really looking forward to see what disney can pull off!

Can't get my head around some of the figures being mentioned here!

I do have to wonder though, as Sam said - as, well, frankly mesmerising as this park appears - for all that money, you would think they'd add a world class coaster to the mix.

You only have to look around our own parks, to realise there are a lot of brave thrill seeking kiddies!!

A real unique high quality family thrill ride would have been first on the planning boards I'd have thought?

Makes me wonder though, if someone over here built a world class park, be it thrill based, mixed, or family - would we attract the visitors from worldwide like those Disney Parks do?

EDIT: Forget that last question, I've realised how utterly ridiculous it is ;D